Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gooseberry ideas?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

gooseberry tart, gooseberry fool, gooseberry and mustard sauce for grilled mackrel, gooseberry sorbet, gooseberry and elderflower compote, I could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Memories of my youth!
    Gooseberry jam is delish, really really delish.
    Gooseberry fool, gooseberry tart...they are a lovely fruit to have, my garden will one day have them also.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Plowman wrote: »
    Find a rhubarb tart recipe and sub gooseberry instead, it will be lovely..serve with custard or ice cream (ice cream and gooseberries..wow totally delish).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Honestly I've done mackerel with apples, rhubarb, cranberry and just today with oranges - its always worked out with different fruits that I have tried.

Its a great fish, oily, but when fresh not at all 'fishy' and its cheap and seasonal and really works well with other flavours - at least with fruit in my experience.
    Worth a shot for sure, wish I had goseberry here in the kitchen garden - looks like I'll have to expand it by 2 beds next year, one for fruit and I need more space for veg anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not at all, the acid in the gooseberries really cuts through and balances the oiliness of the mackrel

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Would you be interested in a nice cold gooseberry soup? It can be eaten warm, too, but nicer chilled.

Advertisement