Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The other half and your shooting!!!

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

A thread in the hunting section got me thinking, it’s a girl who’s boyfriend is into all things outdoors and looking to get him some night vision or something. WHAT A GIRL! But my question is what does ye’re girlfriends, wifes ect think of your shooting/hunting past times?

Im 4 yrs with the woman now and I was always into shooting before I was with her, was in the FCA and on there shooting team for a few yrs and really enjoyed it and I did a fair bit of hunting for rabbits and that with a few friends from the FCA also. I stopped before we got together as work commitments took over as they do and I had to call it a day. Now finally I’m in a position that iv been able to buy my own rifle and get back into the sport which I enjoyed so much when I was younger but she is not happy about it at all! She has concerns about having a gun in the house, which i can understand but does not seem to accept that storing it in a locked safe with the bolt removed and stored separately is safe and just says she doesn’t want it in the house! Her only knowledge of guns is what she hears on the news or sees on tv, Iv tried everything to change her mind, tried to get her out to try her hand at shooting or even come see what its all about but she’s not interested and wont compromise at all:mad: The face on her when I brought home a few rabbits, you would think id shot her pet!(she has a pet rabbit she got for the kids) She is usually understanding about things but I cant seem to crack her on this one!! I know allot of you in here have been shooting all your lives and probably before the woman came along but any1 else had similar problems? How did you deal with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

All you want is a quiet life, so just go shooting and don't make lots of noise about it, prepare game out of the way and store it where she won't see it. Go out of your way to alleviate the concerns about the gun by keeping the safes well hidden and then just get on with things. Low profile is all you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

I am sure this is a common issue - I am lucky that my wife does not mind my shooting except that she does not really agree if I spend too much time out in the fields. I usually go hunting/shooting when the kids are asleep (after 9pm or before 8am) - so my shooting is a bit restricted, but I am OK with it - I think making compromises is the solution for many issues. I would not give up shooting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

When I was buying my first rifle (.22 mag) at the age of 17 the woman tried to talk me out of it but I was having none of it! She taught I was wasting my money and would lose interest in it but I wouldn't listen as i've been hunting with my father since I was old enough to climb a fence!

After a while she accepted that I had a great interest in the sport but still made it clear she hated the way I shot animals.

Nowadays its a whole different story, she is constantly wanting to go plinking with the .22, asking me to shoot foxes around her house( she has a pet rabbit too:D)
    And she asking that I shoot the deer that are coming onto her fathers farm!

Its getting better and better! I just don't tell her how much I pay for the things I buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

All you want is a quiet life, so just go shooting and don't make lots of noise about it, prepare game out of the way and store it where she won't see it. Go out of your way to alleviate the concerns about the gun by keeping the safes well hidden and then just get on with things. Low profile is all you want to do.

Exactly :)

Once the safe is bolted to the wall she'll have a hell of a time removing it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Have to say I'm lucky in that regard. Not only does my wife not mind my hobby but she actually has an interest in it herself. I had to take a break from shooting for two years due to finishing my research but I am going back this year. She wants to start shooting as well and has her eye on the .22 Erma M1 carbine style rifle. :)

I should add that I am talking about target shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Now finally I’m in a position that iv been able to buy my own rifle and get back into the sport which I enjoyed so much when I was younger but she is not happy about it at all!
    The face on her when I brought home a few rabbits, you would think id shot her pet!(she has a pet rabbit she got for the kids) She is usually understanding about things but I cant seem to crack her on this one!!

If you want to get her to come around, how about first trying to be slightly more sensitive with your wife (not to mind the kids) - imagine if the roles were reversed, and she brought home some dead dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I'm probably quite lucky too, although I only shoot paper. If I started bringing game home that would raise an objection I'd think.

As I sell the target shooting bits'n' bobs I'm lucky to be able to get new stuff without her really noticing.

Although an eyebrow was raised at a shotgun that 'appeared' recently :o

In fact she'd be more offended at being called the title of this thread; 'the woman'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

My girl doesn't mind me hunting at all. She even likes the idea of me eating what I shoot.
    She came shooting with me once out of curiosity, although in the end she didn't want to shoot a bunny. We only took home a few rabbits the day but it was a success.

She supports my hunting that much that she bought me a custom knife off Davy Moore last christmas!:D What more could you ask for:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

The more i learn about women ,the more i love my hunting . jw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

zeusnero wrote: »
    If you want to get her to come around, how about first trying to be slightly more sensitive with your wife (not to mind the kids) - imagine if the roles were reversed, and she brought home some dead dogs...
    I think your right, maybe i should have taken the rabbits somewhere else the first few times at least! the kids are 2 and 6 so will see nothing and have nothing to do with it, yet. why would she bring home dead dogs??
    demonloop wrote: »
    I'm probably quite lucky too, although I only shoot paper. If I started bringing game home that would raise an objection I'd think.

As I sell the target shooting bits'n' bobs I'm lucky to be able to get new stuff without her really noticing.

Although an eyebrow was raised at a shotgun that 'appeared' recently :o

In fact she'd be more offended at being called the title of this thread; 'the woman'
    lol Guess im lucky in the way she wouldnt mind the thread title!! yeah i think if she knew how much certain things cost it would be adding fuel to her fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Im with the same girl for the last 2 years. At the beginning she had no interest in shooting or hunting of any kind. One evening last summer i asked her if she would like to come calling foxes with me. Boy did she give me some quare looks! "why the hell do you want to go calling at foxes" she said. I told her what i ment by calling foxes and she said she would tag along. After about 2 hours going from one place to another calling she spotted a fox coming into the call, "shoot it, shoot it" she said! Just when i took aim she grabbed me buy the shoulder, "a no dont, look at him, hes lovely aint he".:confused: Well that was that, needless to say that was her 1st and last time hunting with me. Fair play to her tough she dosent mind me doing my thing and vise versa.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

My GF doesnt get it at all, she thought I was off my game when I had my Sig and didnt get it either when I got the rifle!

She doesnt understand the hunting side of it either, I stopped to avoid running over a small rabbit on a quiet country road recently and she thought I had lost it, she doesnt see the difference between hunting and mangling something underneath the wheel of a car!

However, she does not mind what I do, if she did there would have to be some compromise, thats what relationships are all about imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

You shouldn't allow her to exert dominion over your chosen hobby.
    Thats not what happens in a relationship of equals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

harmoniums wrote: »
    You shouldn't allow here to exert dominion over your chosen hobby.

" hobby "

harmoniums wrote: »
    You shouldn't allow her to exert dominion over your chosen hobby.
    I dont agree, I cant just turn around and say F**k you love its my hobby, As that would not be equal ether! Im lookin for help to find a happy medium(or just a medium of some sort:D) as I had a feelin i wasnt the only1 to get this of there other half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Simple's :D She either like's it of lumps it :pac::pac::pac:
    Though she dosen't really care

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Hibrion wrote: »
    My girl doesn't mind me hunting at all. She even likes the idea of me eating what I shoot.
    She came shooting with me once out of curiosity, although in the end she didn't want to shoot a bunny. We only took home a few rabbits the day but it was a success.

She supports my hunting that much that she bought me a custom knife off Davy Moore last christmas!:D What more could you ask for:confused:

Lucky B*stard! :D:D

Unfortunatley my girlfriend put it up to me about the hunting side of things, especially foxes. So after a lot of thought, I compromised. Now dont take me up the wrong way, she is lovely........................ my little Tikka! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm at a loss for words. Little fingers and being wrapped around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Lucky enough here myself - My wife has gotten to the stage where she is bored senseless with me going on about the various joys, technical bits, stories, etc about shooting - so as soon as I bring up anything about shooting, her eyes glaze over and we need to promptly change the subject.

She's well aware that I am very much into my shooting and will support me all the way on this - to the extent, that a fortnight after the birth of our first daughter, I was back on the range!:D:D:D Happy Happy Joy Joy.

As regards the costs involved - I do try to keep that information as close to my chest as possible!;)

We've been together a lot longer than my interest in shooting, so initially I did have to tread carefully with regard to the firearms storage side of things, etc. - But with a careful and veeeerrrrry boring explanation of the law, personal safety precautions, and the procedures involved, that bridge was successfully crossed.

Again, getting over her potential worries regarding any possible issues arising from my becoming a "gun-toting gun-nut", were equally dealt with by a sensible and boringly precise series of reasoned explanations about ballistics, accuracy, natural zeroing, techniques, technology, etc etc etc ad nauseam - and in this way, she now considers me to be more of a "rifle-nerd" than a "gun-nut"! Result!:D

It also helps that I would always point out that there a good number of women shooting far far far better scores than I could ever hope to achieve. So perhaps, your post should be re-titled "your better-half and your shooting"? I'm sure the all-male emphasis you're putting across to her regarding shooting isn't helping your case and allowing her to empathise too much!:D:rolleyes:

I'm only concentrating on the target shooting side of things and I have her full (but long-suffering support) on this - but when I was asked by her uncle to deal with some vermin around the farm, that was not a problem either.
    just says she doesn’t want it in the house!

That's a tricky one - If she's adamant about it and you both own the house or share the home, compromise might be the best option.

Initially, my first rifle was stored for the first few weeks with a dealer, as the safe wasn't yet fitted and she was also concerned about having a rifle in the house. But, after seeing the rifle, being shown how it was made safe, got "used to it", and realised in it's stripped-down and bolt-removed state, it was of little or no danger, combined with the shear security of the gunsafe when seen fitted, she had no difficulties with either that firearm or the subsequent others being stored in the house.
    Iv tried everything to change her mind, tried to get her out to try her hand at shooting or even come see what its all about but she’s not interested and wont compromise at allmad.gif

Are you sure you've tried everything to change her mind?
    If she's not interested in shooting, fair enough, not everyone is - But certainly, if you point out that this is a major part of your life and is one of your major interests, surely she should accept your wishes on this? Compromise cuts both ways.

There's a lot of "golf-widows" out there - but would they expect their partners to give up the game or to store their clubs elsewhere? I think not!

Maybe the analogy that a rifle with the mag, bolt, and ammo removed and stored separately, is no more "dangerous" than a hurley or golf club (in fact, probably far less dangerous - as a hurley or golf club is not locked safely into a heavy metal secure safe bolted to a wall and hidden away when not in use!)
    The face on her when I brought home a few rabbits, you would think id shot her pet!(she has a pet rabbit she got for the kids)

OK, that may have not been the most politic of actions on your part.:D;)

Softlee Softlee, Catchee Monkee!
    IMO Try to work on a course of quiet persuasion and convincing - Let her know that this is very much a very important sport / hobby / pastime which means a lot to you and explain everything you can about the sport to her, even if this means boring her to tears!

Work on the technical side of shooting first - and leave discussions on hunting to a later date, once she becomes comfortable with rifles, guns and the more technical aspects of shooting first, if you feel that you may be running up against a brick-wall. I've found it's easier to get understanding from friends and family about the shooting sports by approaching as just that: a sport, like any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

• Advertisement

dCorbus wrote: »
    Maybe the analogy that a rifle with the mag, bolt, and ammo removed and stored separately, is no more "dangerous" than a hurley or golf club (in fact, probably far less dangerous - as a hurley or golf club is not locked safely into a heavy metal secure safe bolted to a wall and hidden away when not in use!)
    This has been said a few times already;)

I think your right tho and i think your way of dealing with it over a while and letting her get used to the idea is a good1!

title changed so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

You should see what she does to a cucumber :D:D

F**k me dont p**s that girl off tac!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

zeusnero wrote: »

What has dogs got to do with it, he has brought home a few rabbits for the pot simple as. Sensitive bullsh!t go out and enjoy your hobby there is probably plenty of things she does that wrecks your head as well its just going to be one of them things. It would be worse if you were down the pub every night of the week.
    As for the kids its the perfect time to get them interested in Wildlife and Nature, the world those not revolve around the black box in the corner. I was out with my auld fella since I was a young fella did me no harm seeing were wild food came from and how to pluck,skin and clean it, Kids wont learn much walking down supermarket aisles.

As for your question Kildare.17 Hmr my wife is happy for me to go out and enjoy what I love to do it gives her more time to watch her soaps etc, I can see were you are coming from I have a few cousins who are not aloud to have guns in there house if they were every to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Herself tried target shooting a while back, shot in match or two. Wasn't her thing, but she gave it a try. Not much more you can ask from a person.

Sensitive bullsh!t go out and enjoy your hobby there is probably plenty of things she does that wrecks your head as well its just going to be one of them things

Yep, that approach will definitely work!:rolleyes::D

1. Don't be sensitive to your partners wishes or opinions.
    2. Do what the hell you like.
    3. If she's wrecking your head, wreck her's back.
    4. Just do your own thing, and damn anyone elses sensitivities.

Yep, that's an approach that's gotta work.
    And sure if it doesn't, think of all the extra time you'll have to go shooting in the end and a nice quiet house to come home to, which you won't have to share with anyone else!

Sheesh!:D:rolleyes:

And sure if it doesn't, think of all the extra time you'll have to go shooting in the end and a nice quiet house to come home to, which you won't have to share with anyone else!

lol i dont think thats what he ment!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Ahh lads we have Marriage Counselor :D;):D:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ViQWNH2fw

Could not resist :D:D:D:D

What else can be read into the phrase: "sensitive bullsh1t"?:D
    Take the man's advice - Go out and enjoy your hobby!

But, if you want to get your way and be allowed store your firearms at home, I'd maybe ignore this bit of the advice:
    there is probably plenty of things she does that wrecks your head as well its just going to be one of them things

:D

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with marriage counselling - Just advice to the O/P on how he might actually get his own way!:D

It's all about the art of Diplomacy!

diplomacy.jpg

Advertisement