Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network VEKA/International Glass

Options
  • 06-07-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I am having a lot of trouble with windows that were installed with International Glass; any time there is a fault it takes weeks /months to get the issues resolved. It seems they do not want to carry out repair work and ignore us or bully us into not pushing it, when they do come out its 5 minutes and rarely is it fixed fully.

I seen on their site their work is covered but Network VEKA for 10 years, but can’t find an Irish contact number.

Anyone out there got any ideas where to go from here; could it be classed as breach of contract and time to take a legal approach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

jeffk wrote: »
    I am having a lot of trouble with windows that were installed with International Glass; any time there is a fault it takes weeks /months to get the issues resolved. It seems they do not want to carry out repair work and ignore us or bully us into not pushing it, when they do come out its 5 minutes and rarely is it fixed fully.

I seen on their site their work is covered but Network VEKA for 10 years, but can’t find an Irish contact number.

Anyone out there got any ideas where to go from here; could it be classed as breach of contract and time to take a legal approach?

Hi Jeffk,

first what do you think is the problem with the windows, frames, hinges glass or hardware.

Veka are a PVc manufacturer, that is they made the frame raw material, it was then made into a window by a window fabricator, here in Ireland, or in UK, Network Veka is a fabricators club founded by VEKA to give training and marketing support.

International glass may not be members of Network Veka but the Co who made the windows should be.

Lof on to www.networkveka.co.uk and on the Contact Us page you can fill in a questionaire, and submit to them direct.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks martinn123 I’ve contacted them looking for an Irish number. I wasn’t sure who/what they done, but I seen guarantee and that’s the only thing I can see. I can’t see if there’s a glass fitters of Ireland or that(you know like RECI are to electricians). There is no point in pursuing them, seen as it’s not the framework.

As we speak a new hinge needs to be fitted, we were told that over a month ago. Last week I went up to the factory and I didn’t heard back, so I rang them back and got nothing, rang one of the sons and had to leave a message,so I ring the shop in Finglas and was told there is only two of them there and to ring back in 10 days by the owner of the company.

You would think a hinge would be stock piled in the factory and a simple 5 minute change over, but it’s going to drag on for two months as it stands.

Some emails back from the Network VEKA and International Class are nothing to do with them. Im lost now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I have found in situations like this the very best people to talk with are the National Consumer Agency http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/ they are very goood at dealing with companies like this.

Your beef is with the company who supplied you the goods not the manufactures.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have found in situations like this the very best people to talk with are the National Consumer Agency http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/ they are very goood at dealing with companies like this.

Your beef is with the company who supplied you the goods not the manufactures.

Pat, not to be smart but if you look @ my posts it explains why I went after the manufactures

"I wasn’t sure who/what they done, but I seen guarantee and that’s the only thing I can see. I can’t see if there’s a glass fitters of Ireland or that(you know like RECI are to electricians). There is no point in pursuing them, seen as it’s not the framework."

Again if there was something like RECI that checks window fitters work id be onto them long ago. Ill check that site now thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Pat is right though Jeffk, you still have to go after the person you have the contract with, ie whoever sold you the windows. They sold you the windows as a whole package - frames, glass, handles, etc., so they are responsible for it, and cant fob you off to the manufacturers.
    Try the NCA for advice, and if you've been given the runaround, take the sellers to the small claims court.

You may also get some advice over in the consumer issues forum.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Pat is right though Jeffk, you still have to go after the person you have the contract with, ie whoever sold you the windows. They sold you the windows as a whole package - frames, glass, handles, etc., so they are responsible for it, and cant fob you off to the manufacturers.
    Try the NCA for advice, and if you've been given the runaround, take the sellers to the small claims court.

You may also get some advice over in the consumer issues forum.

Ah I know that, as soon as I found out that they where a manufactures not a regulatory body or the like I stopped going down that road.

Ill give the NCA a bell tomorrow and see what they say. Its a 15 year warranty, so I have to try and not step to hard on peoples toes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Step hard, if this has been going on for months the time for being patient and nice is well over!

Step hard, if this has been going on for months the time for being patient and nice is well over!

I will, but through the right avenues in a clear and claim manner, anyone can roar down a phone and lose the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I can’t see if there’s a glass fitters of Ireland or that(you know like RECI are to electricians). There is no point in pursuing them, seen as it’s not the framework.

As we speak a new hinge needs to be fitted, we were told that over a month ago.

You would think a hinge would be stock piled in the factory and a simple 5 minute change over, but it’s going to drag on for two months as it stands.

There is no regulatory body for window fiters.

You are right, a new hinge should take 5minutes to fit, be careful on the 15 yr guarantee though, normal trade terms are 10/15 yrs on frames, glass units etc, but hardware, handels etc, only carry 1 year as they need some maintenance.

Dont let this one go,

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    There is no regulatory body for window fiters.

You are right, a new hinge should take 5minutes to fit, be careful on the 15 yr guarantee though, normal trade terms are 10/15 yrs on frames, glass units etc, but hardware, handels etc, only carry 1 year as they need some maintenance.

Dont let this one go,

Thanks martinn123, its a shame as once I had trouble with a new trip switch unit that was installed wrong and RECI sorted it out.

Ill keep the warranty parts in mind to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Pat, not to be smart but if you look @ my posts it explains why I went after the manufactures

"I wasn’t sure who/what they done, but I seen guarantee and that’s the only thing I can see. I can’t see if there’s a glass fitters of Ireland or that(you know like RECI are to electricians). There is no point in pursuing them, seen as it’s not the framework."

Again if there was something like RECI that checks window fitters work id be onto them long ago. Ill check that site now thanks.

Sorry I bothered, you should be getting smart with the company who fitted your windows, not me!

Yes, I did take time to read your post and that is why It have stated that your contract and warranty is with your service provider and not the manufacture. As there appears to be no warranty network of service engineers in Ireland, the onus fall on the service provider to honour the warranty not the manufacture.

I am simply suggesting that by contacting the National Consumer Agency , companies such as your service provider will sit up and take notice of outstanding issues such as your's. The National Consumer Agency is the consumers champions and carries a lot of statuary weight behind it. The agency can issue legally binding rulings against companies who fail to honour their side of a contract they can also award compensation if deemed necessary.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Sorry I bothered, you should be getting smart with the company who fitted your windows, not me!

I was going to go on a rant but Ill just say this..If you going to comment on a thread its handy if you read the posts before you throw your oar in. Otherwise why waste your and peoples time with unhelpful comments, thank you.

OK folks, keep it civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

15 year warranty is for the frames discoloring, you won't get 15 for the glass. handles etc are one year only. labour is one to three years in general. and it only applies to defective items. if you somehow broke a handle or twisted a hinge - your warranty does not cover. when did you get them installed by the way? they did my windows a few years back - their work was good, nice lads, i only had to get them out once when the door settled, and was hard to lock at times. they fixed it and i've had no problems since.

<SNIP> most of us have had windows replaced at some stage, and will get the odd problem, but as jeffk says, everytime he has a problem..., whats the chances of such a shabby job, or maybe jeffk is just a fault finder. who knows

Kitser, you need to read the charter for this forum before you post again. That's your second and final warning.

kitser wrote: »
    15 year warranty is for the frames discoloring, you won't get 15 for the glass. handles etc are one year only. labour is one to three years in general. and it only applies to defective items. if you somehow broke a handle or twisted a hinge - your warranty does not cover. when did you get them installed by the way? they did my windows a few years back - their work was good, nice lads, i only had to get them out once when the door settled, and was hard to lock at times. they fixed it and i've had no problems since.

<SNIP>

It’s just over a year and a bit now that we have them installed. I’m sure my parents both over 60 wish after 14k spent on windows /doors they didn’t have any faults @ all. You pay that money you don’t expect problems and delays from day one. I hope I didn’t lead people astray, but my parents don’t like raising hassle and I took it on myself to try and sort this out once and for all. If this bothers people apologise.

Here are some incidents:
    Having to pay hard ball with the owner so he would get the house alarm to work properly again a week before Christmas (they ripped out the old front door frame and the alarm wiring to go with it).
    Waiting months to have the sitting room pain “specially made” in the North when the gold piping started rattling.

Finally, yes most of the lads where grand, but as soon as their hours got cut and they had to come out to fix the problems that niceness went away. Which I can’t blame them, there should be a relief working between factory work and repair work with a diary to plan dates/times with the customer.

Probably a rant and again sorry if it is but that post hit a nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

Kitser, you need to read the charter for this forum before you post again. That's your second and final warning.

I don't see what was wrong with what i said.

ok. just read the charter. me bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chazzer

hi just wondering if you got this sorted my mother in law is having awful trouble with this company ?

chazzer wrote: »
    hi just wondering if you got this sorted my mother in law is having awful trouble with this company ?

still have a few issues like when its windy there is a whistle

we went out to the shop in finglas village and that pushed things on

ill be home tomorrow and check if i still have it and ill pm you the owners brother number , he seems to get things done

• Advertisement
Advertisement