Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Gig Photography

Options
  • 06-07-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Need a few tips on gig photography and would be grateful if any of you could spare your pearls of wisdom. I'm an amateur photographer with a Nikon D200 dSLR and want to be able to take good shots in low light conditions.

I have read that there is a good lens and flashgun combo to use and wanted to get your opinions before buying.

Flashgun: Nikon SB-400
    Lens: Nikon AF/S DX Nikkor 35MM F/1.8G

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Have a quick read through this thread and see if it answers any questions you might have :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055951846&highlight=Photography

_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Make sure you're allowed use flash photography at the gig before bringing a gun with you!

If not, use fast primes. Large apertures and high an ISO as your camera will allow. D200 should be good at ISO 800? This will alow fast enough shutter speeds to shoot even hand held at a gig with half decent stage lighting. I shot a gig using a bridge cam before. The spotlights were better than any flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Any gigs I've shot, I wasn't allowed use a flash and I'm led to believe that this is the norm. Because of this you need some really good lens's (F2.8 or lower) as the light on stage is generally poor.

I was taught to look at the act for a while before shooting. See what they do on stage and get into the rhythm of it. Just before a chorus they might turn a certain way, or on every 8 beat they might kick out. They're the shots that stand out.

Most places only give you 3 songs to get your shot, so it's pretty intense. Look, watch, shoot and enjoy. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Siobhan Byrne Photography

Hi,
    Things to look for in a lense are a small aperature to allow as much light as possible in so 1.8f is good, the lens would be better if it had an image stabiliser option on it, these are generally more expensive but worth it. Use a high ISO like 800 plus and if you can hand hold at a/60 of a second or less than great.
    Hope this is of some help to you
    Siobhan

Advertisement