Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Magnet Screwing me Up

• 06-07-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I switched over from Eircom to Magnet a couple of years ago. Things were fine until recently when my Magnet connection started acting up. Magnet customer service for those who have had to deal with then will know is not the most responsive to put it mildly. So now I cancelled my connection with Magnet after many (weeks of tossing me around btw their sales and Tech units) and decided to switch to another provider.

The problem is at the time I switched originally from Eircom, Magnet changed my number. Now it is turning out that every provider I try to switch to, when they do a line check, they report that my line is not suitable for broadband. despite that I had BB from Magnet as recent as 3 days ago and with Eircom previously. Not sure what Magnet did to my line that is making it unavailable to other service providers?

Out of desperation, I rand up Eircom yesterday to see if I can switch back to them. They requested I obtained my CRN number (Customer Retention Number) from Magnet. When I rang Magnet, the lady on the Phone told me their is no such thing as CRN.

Is Magnet deliberately making it difficult for me to swith? Now I have no BB, no phone line and no other provider wants me:mad:

Edit:

I had already obtained and provided my Universal Access Number UAN to Eircom: They insisted I needed to obtain the CRT.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

It might be the UAN they asked for....Universal Account Number, you will needs this, when I switched providers this was required. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think you'll be able to keep your Magnet number. You will definitely need your UAN, which Magnet will be able to supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ssa2010

Thanks guys. I already have my UAN and gave that to Eircom. They still want the Customer Retention Number-CRN. The other question that still puzzles me is why is my number failing the line test with other service providers, and why is Magnet reluctant to provide me with this if indeed there's such thing as CRN?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Most lines with bb on them already seem to fail the suitability test. Presumably Eircom's equipment does not distinguish between lines with bb on them and those without.

Magnet are not conspiring against you, rest easy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I have UTV 7.6Mb for the last few years and my line fails on the online " checkers ".....even UTV's, I agree with you, it does seem strange.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Most lines with bb on them already seem to fail the suitability test. Presumably Eircom's equipment does not distinguish between lines with bb on them and those without.

Magnet are not conspiring against you, rest easy:)

Thanks. The problem is the line has failed the line check on Vodafone and Eircom. I would have bet that if anyone would be able to switch me back, It would be Eircom. I wouldn't mind changing/reverting back to my old Eircom number if oly Magnet would let me :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ssa2010 wrote: »
    Thanks. The problem is the line has failed the line check on Vodafone and Eircom. I would have bet that if anyone would be able to switch me back, It would be Eircom. I wouldn't mind changing/reverting back to my old Eircom number if oly Magnet would let me :mad:

And the reason it fails as I pointed out above is that lines with bb already on them fail the test. The test is only done once a month (it is not live) so even if Magnet have get your bb signal removed from the line it may not show up on the test database as being clear for another couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're using your Magnet phone number to check though, right? This number doesn't exist in the eircom database because it's not a number that's associated with a physical line. You need a number assigned by eircom to test properly.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Thanks guys. I already have my UAN and gave that to Eircom. They still want the Customer Retention Number-CRN. The other question that still puzzles me is why is my number failing the line test with other service providers, and why is Magnet reluctant to provide me with this if indeed there's such thing as CRN?

Can I look into this for you?

Can I look into this for you?

PM sent.

Thanks

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    You're using your Magnet phone number to check though, right? This number doesn't exist in the eircom database because it's not a number that's associated with a physical line. You need a number assigned by eircom to test properly.

Yes I was. Thanks for this info. It does appear that the assigning a new number by Magnet is what is causing all the chaos. You know what? i just checked with my old/original Eircom number and he line is available. I guess I'll probably ring Eircom back with my old/original Eircom phone number. How more confusing does this get.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yes I was. Thanks for this info. It does appear that the assigning a new number by Magnet is what is causing all the chaos. You know what? i just checked with my old/original Eircom number and he line is available. I guess I'll probably ring Eircom back with my old/original Eircom phone number. How more confusing does this get.
    :rolleyes:

Eircom should have been able to check this for you buy merely using your address, not the Magnet phone number.

Hopefully you get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

cancelling my account with magnet
    been with them a year in November on the bolt package never got 12 dn
    apparently the copper running to my house is the issue
    no wifi for the last few weeks only 2 of the 4 ports in the back work on the reuter
    getting disconnected from xbox live all the time
    ps3 is useless because i bought it for downstairs because it has wifi built in
    2 I phones in the house worthless unable to connect all the time

if i was anyone thinking of getting magnet
    test your copper running to your house because this is magnets lame excuse for there speeds and make sure you actually live in the exchange so you can exactly get what
    your paying for .

look at my ping
    seriously
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/871046732.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]871046732.png

and no Rory or gary there's nothing you can help me with unless you want to refund
    me for the dwn load loss ive got since joining
    some fookin hope of that

actually it would be really nice if you could pm me the best way to cancel my account

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eileenf99

Magnet's customer service leaves alot to be desired. I have had the same issue with them for over 2 years now and none of them are capabale of sorting it out in that office , namely accounts. I am two steps away from cancelling my account with them too.

cancelling my account with magnet
    been with them a year in November on the bolt package never got 12 dn
    apparently the copper running to my house is the issue
    no wifi for the last few weeks only 2 of the 4 ports in the back work on the reuter
    getting disconnected from xbox live all the time
    ps3 is useless because i bought it for downstairs because it has wifi built in
    2 I phones in the house worthless unable to connect all the time

if i was anyone thinking of getting magnet
    test your copper running to your house because this is magnets lame excuse for there speeds and make sure you actually live in the exchange so you can exactly get what
    your paying for .

look at my ping
    seriously
    871046732.png

and no Rory or gary there's nothing you can help me with unless you want to refund
    me for the dwn load loss ive got since joining
    some fookin hope of that

actually it would be really nice if you could pm me the best way to cancel my account

In our defense, the distance issue is a real issue, we cant control the damage on the line nor can we control the distance. The problem is that we cant check the line before we provision the service.

eileenf99 wrote: »
    Magnet's customer service leaves alot to be desired. I have had the same issue with them for over 2 years now and none of them are capabale of sorting it out in that office , namely accounts. I am two steps away from cancelling my account with them too.

Is there anything I can do to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eileenf99

Thanks Rory but i am suppsoed to be getting a call from a manager today , i wont hold my breath though as it wouldnt be the fist time i have been let down. If i dont hear anything i will be in touch.
    I am happy with Magnets tv and broadband ,its all about customer service which Magnet need to greatly improve...

eileenf99 wrote: »
    Thanks Rory but i am suppsoed to be getting a call from a manager today , i wont hold my breath though as it wouldnt be the fist time i have been let down. If i dont hear anything i will be in touch.
    I am happy with Magnets tv and broadband ,its all about customer service which Magnet need to greatly improve...

We have made big strides in this area, but I understand your frustration. Give me a PM if you need anything and remember I really am here to help.

Ok so am back and worse than I started out with. So I rang back Eircom again this morning. and they did another line test and said that Magnet had "tossed/barred" my line and it will not be possible to transfer the line back to Eircom and my old Eircom number is no longer active. So it looks like the only available option for me is to apply for a new Eircom line into my house.

The whole broadband shenanigan in this country is joke really:mad:

Ok so am back and worse than I started out with. So I rang back Eircom again this morning. and they did another line test and said that Magnet had "tossed/barred" my line and it will not be possible to transfer the line back to Eircom and my old Eircom number is no longer active. So it looks like the only available option for me is to apply for a new Eircom line into my house.

The whole broadband shenanigan in this country is joke really:mad:

We are looking into this currently. We should have an update for you by tomorrow morning. I will PM you my email address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deliber

Hey guys! i need your advice

I signed up with magnet in feb 2010 for broadband and phone, from the first day i started to have problems, i though may be it a new connection and it will be ok but no i was wrong.

I have to restart the router about 5 times a day and also wireless connection was keep dropping, i rang them so many times, it went on for about three months and i dint get any fix, they told me to get my own router and it may fix the problem, but it didn't.

i couldn't go on for long and i rang them to cancel my contract after 3 months, now they are telling me that i have to pay a cancellation fee. i told them i am not going to pay anything as i am canceling my contract only because you could not provide me the service i signed for.

Is it possible to cancel a contract and not pay the cancellation fee or whatever that is based on the fact that you're not getting the service you're paying for? i did give them about 3 months to fix the problem but they didnt.

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

I'm with you. 3.5 day Magnet outage, and counting.

So I finally dragged myself out of the doldrums that I found myself with Magnet. Got my UPC service installed today. All ok so far, fingers crossed though.

Good riddance Magnet.

Advertisement