Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullow St reopen to traffic Poll

Options
  • 06-07-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Some retailers want Lr. Tullow St reopened to traffic, some want it as is & some want to extend pedestrian area.

Considering the responses in the other Carlow Town thread - there are many here with good knowledge & opinions which are far more independent than those of retailers.

What are your opinions?

Basically the council are willing to go forward with any plan supported by 70% of businesses.

Open Tullow St to Traffic 26 votes

Open Tullow St to traffic
    0% 0 votes
    Leave it as is.
    15% 4 votes
    Extend pedestrian area to potato market & AIB Bank
    50% 13 votes
    Open to traffic, but pedestrian priority zone with 25km speed from potato market & AIB to Benetton
    34% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

My personal opinion would leave as be. I cant really see how opening the street to traffic will increase buisness. At most there must be 10 car spaces. It's as easy to park in haddens or penny's and walk over.

If my other half is looking to go then i drove as far as the bollards and drop her off there and she can walk down.

I think if you make it a pedestrian area as far as the AIB there will be serious traffic problems!!

Have to say i was sitting on that area of Tullow street yesterday afternoon with my son at about 5ish and there were very few cars coming down it. Was lovely to sit there and was peaceful but i did note 2 women commenting how they must have been the only ones out shopping as street was very quite and i also note a far few empty shops as had been a while since i was on the street. I would very rarely go down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the more you pedesrianise the middle of the town, the more people you'll get as passing trade. the council should be encouraging people to park and go for a walk through the town centre. i wonder if grafton st would be as popoular if there was traffic on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I clicked leave it as is but I meant "Extend pedestrian area to potato market & AIB Bank "
    I drive more than I walk around town and even I think this is a good idea, all areas like that should be pedestrian only zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

It is going to take a special, unique business to open on Tullow St to attract footfall from the Fair Green area of Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anytime I walk through Tullow Street there's cars driving on it anyway. It's especially bad on Sunday with cars parked on the footpath making it impossible to walk there.

I think they should do a better job of pedestrianising it. It's a pretty pointless pedestrian street as it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement