Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leaving The Cult - Sons of Perdition" BBC4

Options
  • 06-07-2010 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

5 STARS - BBC4 at 10pm last night - one of the most compelling docs I've seen - have always been fascinated by the power that religious groups/cults have over lost, vulnerable people but this is an excellent film. Producers followed 3 US teenagers who had just left a Mormon group and struggled to adjust to life on the "outside". The strongest message I found coming out of the film was the teenager's overwhelming sense of loss of their loving family - mothers & siblings, having known little else but family their entire lives. Earmarked for the TriBeCa Film Festival, sure to do well here and elsewhere it's shown, highly highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in different cultures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I just watched this in iPlayer and I agree, it is absolutely terrific. Kinda reminds me of a documentary about those who leave the Amish community, the name of which escapes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

D-Generate wrote: »
    I just watched this in iPlayer and I agree, it is absolutely terrific. Kinda reminds me of a documentary about those who leave the Amish community, the name of which escapes me.

Dunno if it's the Amish exactly but aren't they referred to as "falling away". Most of them are shunned by their family who remain in the cults. I remember a documentary similar to "Leaving the Cult" where they tried to convice their parents, whom they hadn't seen for over 5 years to leave. Sadly they didn't and basically it was the last time they saw them because they chose to cut ties with them completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Anyone have a link to watch this? Cant find in on the BBC iPlayer.

Cheers.

Advertisement