Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Issue after BT / Vodafone merger

• 06-07-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,

I currently am a Vodafone at home customer. I used to be with BT, but the merger "forced" me to switch to Vodafone. This was fine while everything was working fine. I have been with that connection for both broadband and phone since I bought my apartment 3 and a half years ago.

Last night, the modem I was given by BT for my connection (well technically the second one as the first one broke down a little over a year ago) started acting up - rebooting by itself taking a few tries to get it back up again - and this morning it failed completely. So I called 1907 after following the few troubleshooting steps advised by my manual.

I got through to technical support who confirmed my diagnostic and then something strange happened, they asked me for €80 to get it replaced. After being hung up on a couple of times, being treated quite rudely, being refused to talk to a manager I finally gave up and looked for another solution.

The excuse they gave me was that the modem was out of warranty. I just don't get it. My modem is the most basic wired modem that was given to me by BT. I never bought it, I never chose it, it's not even branded. How can that run out of warranty ? Isn't it part of the package of the broadband connection ? Why did BT exchange it without asking for anything the first time it broke out of warranty ? Why don't I have a choice for a lesser modem ? Why don't they refer me to another place to buy a modem? Why am I not offered any alternative ? Is the Vodafone policy set up to trap former BT customers ? What is €80 to them (well I suppose they take a margin on this) when I've been paying between €50 and €60 a month for 4 years (over €2000)?

Oh, and the modem they're offering me for €80 comes free with any new connection set up by new customers.

So I need to create the alternatives myself :
    - find a working modem in a pile of old unused equipment and find a way to set it up without their help, I'm not sure I'm even allowed to do that.
    - find another ISP (and wait for the 3 weeks to get connected - which is not possible as I use the connection to work and manage a few websites)
    - close my account and register a new one in my wife's name (and wait to get connected).

I don't feel like I'm asking for the moon, here. I'm asking to get the service I'm paying for up and running. I'm not asking for a free upgrade, I'm asking to get what I'm paying for. I know €80 is not much (still about a weeks shopping for my family) but I want to understand first !

Now, if anyone has some advise on what I should/could do next, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No - that does not seem right.

If your modem is not working then a new one would be provided.

Will you post this over in the Vodafone forum and Darren or Paul should help you out...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 zoudards

Thanks crawler, will do straight away !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

This is possibly a seperate issue but is it any co-incidence that in nearly 3 years with BT my Internet connection did not go down even once, yet, in the last 2 months my connection has been down on 3 occasions for an entire day with vodafone??

I`m moving house soon and have already signed up for UPC......

Advertisement