Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What TV to get?

• 06-07-2010 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys(I'm hoping this is the right forum!)

Our TV screen recently turned pink. At first we thought it was the SCART cable, but we got a new one and it didn't work. We also signed up for Sky recently, but I doubt that kick-started the problem. Our TV is quite old, about 8 years-so I think the time has come to get a new one.

What TV would ye recommend? I am not at all well up on televisions, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!:) We're looking for a 40'' and above, so what would the be the best TV out there?:) Price range is anything up to €2000, but preferably just over a grand! I'd like a plasma TV because I hear they have better picture quality?

Thank you!;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

It would help people who might like to give you advice if you could give a general idea of your price range - to get an idea of the kind of models available you could check out Powercity or DID or the Philips Shop or some of the Sony shops, you'd get an idea of where to start.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Hi Guys(I'm hoping this is the right forum!)

Our TV screen recently turned pink. At first we thought it was the SCART cable, but we got a new one and it didn't work. We also signed up for Sky recently, but I doubt that kick-started the problem. Our TV is quite old, about 8 years-so I think the time has come to get a new one.

What TV would ye recommend? I am not at all well up on televisions, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!:) We're looking for a 40'' and above, so what would the be the best TV out there?:) Price range is anything up to €2000, but preferably just over a grand! I'd like a plasma TV because I hear they have better picture quality?

Thank you!;)

you can buy an exceptionally good set for a grand , id go for the G series panasonic plasma , available in 42 inch , 46 and 50 , it comes with freesat HD , 600 hz and thx aswell as many other extras , you could buy the S series for 750 euro an all you would be missing is the thx and free sat , still got 600 hz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

irishh_bob wrote: »
    you can buy an exceptionally good set for a grand , id go for the G series panasonic plasma , available in 42 inch , 46 and 50 , it comes with freesat HD , 600 hz and thx aswell as many other extras , you could buy the S series for 750 euro an all you would be missing is the thx and free sat , still got 600 hz

I second this.

A 50" G series Panasonic plasma is the way to go. With the inbuilt Freesat tuners they give you access to several HD channels and you might find you don't need Sky and could save even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Thanks a million guys for your help! So, if I got that 50'' TV, I have Sky already so would I be able to access the HD channels for free? And what does 'thx' mean?:o

Which are better-Samsung or Sony, and which models would ye recommend from them?

Thank you!:)

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Thanks a million guys for your help! So, if I got that 50'' TV, I have Sky already so would I be able to access the HD channels for free? And what does 'thx' mean?:o

Which are better-Samsung or Sony, and which models would ye recommend from them?

Thank you!:)

Out of Samsung or Sony I would choose Panasonic ;-)

THX = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thx

Through Freesat, you can receive BBC HD and ITV1 HD and BBC 1 HD in the Autumn. You could also receive all the other freeview channels.: http://freeview.co.uk/

All for free. You could not receive the SKY HD channels unless you pay for a SKY subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

cnocbui wrote: »
    Out of Samsung or Sony I would choose Panasonic ;-)

THX = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thx

Through Freesat, you can receive BBC HD and ITV1 HD and BBC 1 HD in the Autumn. You could also receive all the other freeview channels.: http://freeview.co.uk/

All for free. You could not receive the SKY HD channels unless you pay for a SKY subscription.

Thanks a million for that! We decided that the 50'' would be a bit too monstrous:p so we're going for about a 46'' now-is there any difference apart from the size between the Panasonic G-series 50'' and 46''?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Price. That's about all. :)

I've got the 42G20 and love it.

I second this.

A 50" G series Panasonic plasma is the way to go. With the inbuilt Freesat tuners they give you access to several HD channels and you might find you don't need Sky and could save even more.

the G series LCD is the same price and also comes with free sat HD , it has pro - motion controller too , would the G series lcd in your opinion be as good a buy as the G series plasma

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the G series LCD is the same price and also comes with free sat HD , it has pro - motion controller too , would the G series lcd in your opinion be as good a buy as the G series plasma

No, because plasma is the better technology for the job.

No, because plasma is the better technology for the job.

believe me , id go for the plasma in a hearbeat if i had the room , for reasons i wont go into , i dont , the g20 LCD does seem to have a lot of extra features , the only other option would be to go for a 32 inch LED but thats 300 quid extra

• Advertisement
Advertisement