Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photography challenge #40- Skintones

• 06-07-2010 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

its up to you how you interpret the title.:)

The rules:

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date midnight Weds 20th of July.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 6th of June onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Jaysus thats certainly open to interpretation. Looking forward to seeing the efforts on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Not great - but Just to get the roll balling..

Taken at half time Holland v Uruguay... somehow Orange on my mind:)

2sanuxj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

4771266447_7a251a0f96.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

IMG_9436edit-1.jpg

yes, yes I know I always use the same person for the challenges but she's the only one willing to pose for me that isn't a client. Taken this evening with an A4 sheet of white paper on her lap to lighten her skin tones while the scarf shadowed them from above.

4772070511_9e91efbdd2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

yes, yes I know I always use the same person for the challenges but she's the only one willing to pose for me that isn't a client. Taken this evening with an A4 sheet of white paper on her lap to lighten her skin tones while the scarf shadowed them from above.

I take advantage of my kids for the same reason :) Now I get people asking me 'who's the little curly girl in half your pictures?' Like i hired a 2yr old model or something :D

Lovely shot btw. Must get a few done myself for this one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

keps wrote: »
    Taken at half time Holland v Uruguay... somehow Orange on my mind:)

How uncanny - you got the orange (Dutch) and the Spanish onion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,607 ✭✭✭✭vectra

How uncanny - you got the orange (Dutch) and the Spanish onion :)

PMSL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

And it's 2-1 to the oranges. Prediction perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mel fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭objj52

twins.jpg

Just a snap of My daughter ( the fiery red head) and her friend, as the title says they act like twins , think it fits the Challenge

Me Auntie Esther and her many years worth of skintones :)
    (Just as well she doesn't have the interweb or she'd have my guts for garters :eek:)

84A6281C54664086B8F4E7E9102CF731.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

4778240830_2f661e9f1b_z.jpg

Taken at the Salmon Leap in Cloghan, co Donegal today i could have sat there all day, but my battery died, heres a link to the set from there, for anyone whos interested its actually quiet a big jump they have to make though very fast water!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irl_deano/sets/72157624458678928/

k52vth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mielag

IMG_1981c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just posted in the random thread. :)

Large 3' silver bottle top reflector to camera left. Big bay windows to camera right.

E62CF197604C4EE28B31632F00CCF9D2-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

hey, where's that fantastic multi coloured pepper gone?!

I had deleted it as I didn't want to be seen to be overcrowding the thread with entries ...but seeing as how you asked:)

2ch9c8k.jpg

7890CDF153124B329A656498425D4CF4-800.jpg

CB4FF757F086406CBF38AA4DA47D21F8-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Pic

What a photo, 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

^^^^ From Rough to Smooth

119982.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 rubio

CB4FF757F086406CBF38AA4DA47D21F8-800.jpg

Nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i keep forgettng to buy batteries for my camera!:mad:
    heres one off my fone.

35126_379764737254_509337254_3654568_7903173_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

IMG_0067.jpg

Pencil Rubber skin and batteries taken with Iphone 3GS

i keep forgettng to buy batteries for my camera!:mad:
    heres one off my fone.

That aint skin - it's fur:D

but it's great

That aint skin - it's fur:D

but it's great

hehe, different tones tho!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

Almost completely SOOC.. Just compressed to fit on boards! Taking the theme a bit literally!

IamBlip wrote: »
    ^^^^ From Rough to Smooth

Really good

• Advertisement

A lot of us here get a lot of fun and in my case learn an awful lot from these assignments.

There are 2 core requirements for photos here:

(1) They should be taken after the date the assignment commences

(2) They should be taken with the assignment theme in mind and as your guide.

This is not an assignment thread where you trawl through earlier taken photos to see will they fit the assignment.

And maybe use a bit of photoshopping to 'change the rules'.

I think it is unfair of any entrant to circumvent these very clear and plain rules to try to win over those who do their best while obeying the guidelines.

Thankfully, Squareballoon's and Pullandbang's great shots are leading the way.

http://pix.ie/lechesolara/1771431
    Was this the original photo ? Date Taken: 2010-Jun-30 14:58

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    http://pix.ie/lechesolara/1771431
    Was this the original photo ? Date Taken: 2010-Jun-30 14:58

Oohhh dear....:pac::pac::pac:

Ok I feel I better come in here to clarify things. I took the picture on 30th June with no particular purpose in mind - just thought the guy had an interesting face. Then a few days later I saw this challenge. I noticed on the first post of the thread that entries must be taken after 6th. June, although realised this was probably a typo that should have read July. On 7th July I edited my picture in black and white to put into a particular pixie album, and after editing I noticed that the exif data had changed to 7th July. This wasnt a surprise as I assumed it would record the editing date and time. I have since noticed that the time taken shown on pixie is precisely 7 days after the original, yet the date and time digitised shown under more properties is a different time on the same day. I will admit that I have tweaked the picture a few times since I first uploaded as I noticed slight issues that I wasn't happy with.

After I first edited the picture I felt that it was so different to the original that it was now a completely different picture, and therefore wasn't just pulling a picture from my archives, and felt it qualified to be entered in this challenge. If I intended to circumvent the rules I would simply have got rid of the original and no one would have been any the wiser. It has also come as news to me that exif data can be manipulated -I had always assumed that was embedded and couldn't be changed unless the picture was actually changed in some way.

Keps, or whoever, you can remove my picture if you like. I think if someone has a problem they should ask before making vague insinuations.

Ok I feel I better come in here to clarify things. I took the picture on 30th June with no particular purpose in mind - just thought the guy had an interesting face. Then a few days later I saw this challenge. I noticed on the first post of the thread that entries must be taken after 6th. June, although realised this was probably a typo that should have read July. On 7th July I edited my picture in black and white to put into a particular pixie album, and after editing I noticed that the exif data had changed to 7th July. This wasnt a surprise as I assumed it would record the editing date and time. I have since noticed that the time taken shown on pixie is precisely 7 days after the original, yet the date and time digitised shown under more properties is a different time on the same day. I will admit that I have tweaked the picture a few times since I first uploaded as I noticed slight issues that I wasn't happy with.

After I first edited the picture I felt that it was so different to the original that it was now a completely different picture, and therefore wasn't just pulling a picture from my archives, and felt it qualified to be entered in this challenge. If I intended to circumvent the rules I would simply have got rid of the original and no one would have been any the wiser. It has also come as news to me that exif data can be manipulated -I had always assumed that was embedded and couldn't be changed unless the picture was actually changed in some way.

Keps, or whoever, you can remove my picture if you like. I think if someone has a problem they should ask before making vague insinuations.

:rolleyes:.....

that was Quick thinking to come up with that excuse, the whole point of these assignments are to get people out taking photos of things they most likley wouldn't take photos of, they have a photoshop Comp in AH go there instead.....

And by the way Keps didnt make any vague insinuations (whatever that means :o) bacause he was 100% right in what he said your photo was taken before the opening date, you were cought out take your medicine!

And P.S. i dont remember seeing the wrong dates, i could be wrong though, usually there is a reply withing a few minutes telling the op of the mistake (non there either) and his edit note says wrong assignment number, not wrong dates <---homer simpson moment, lol!

After I first edited the picture I felt that it was so different to the original that it was now a completely different picture,

Maybe just let this topic die.

The voters can vote.

• Advertisement

its up to you how you interpret the title.:)

The rules:

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date midnight Weds 20th of July.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 6th of June onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post).

dammit!! i have just noticed i put the correct finish date but the wrong start date ( i copied and pasted off an older task) my bad!! :(

but to be honest if you had been following the assignments or posted on the last one you would know fair well what the correct dates are as they follow on from the last one, so really theres no excuse for using an old photo from the archives!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

To be fair - having a fixed date on the photo doesn't fit too well with

"Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image."

Photoshop is an integral part of photography now, using it to create a new image from an old photo should be fine - as long as it is clearly a new image. This is a casual competition, nothing is lost if you don't win and nothing is gained if you do.

And before the film-heads start yelping - you could just as easily take an old negative and dodge/burn the ****e out of it to make a new image that way as well.

He used his own material and was creative with it - personally, I'm happy enough to just see the entrants for these competitions. I'd hate anyone to stop posting in them because of some minor grief.

If the photo is not eligible for the challenge then post it in the random thread.
    Simple !

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Edinduberdeen

Agh... late entries.... found this one a bit more difficult!

477B1F93B3E34129B54C5078A66BB747-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Edinduberdeen

And another
    C23BDFBEBCF9423492102C82253C56F2-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

4802021130_6a0741b0bf.jpg

Monkeying around with this assignment.....

9E69D4D283514CE281A27076CDFBA867.jpg

On reflection – and taking all issues into consideration- I would like to say a personal 'sorry' the Leche Solara.

The Rules are a bit unclear.

And real artists work in ways real artists work. And there is no doubt that Leche Solara is an artist.

I, for one, fully accept that there was absolutely no intention by Leche Solara to break any rule.

But maybe, for all of us, in future, it might be no harm to say upfront where an earlier shot is Photoshopped.

Or just make the rules a bit clearer.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Monkeying around with this assignment.....

[/URL]

Ape-ing around, you mean ;)
    Nice shot, there's some character in that face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

703CEE1660D5495CA92B4F28AEEA082A-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

4806207024_fd5f28f2c1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭waterways

07210102.jpg

I will admit that I have tweaked the picture a few times since I first uploaded as I noticed slight issues that I wasn't happy with.

Yes there have been huge and several changes to the photo since first presented -how do you do that without getting last 'edited' time and date?

I'd love to know heeeee

Yes there have been huge and several changes to the photo since first presented -how do you do that without getting last 'edited' time and date?

I'd love to know heeeee

Well I wouldn't call the changes since first presented huge, although there have been a few. I tidied up an area just above the left eyebrow that I wasn't happy with, and I fixed up a bit just below the right ear.

I don't know what way the edits are being reflected in the exif data. I know I took the original pic on 30th June, and converted it to b/w on 7th July for inclusion in a B/W street portraits album on 7th July. I uploaded to that album on 12th July and at the same time entered it in this challenge. The editing seems to have changed the Date and time (digitised) shown in the exif data to 2010:07:07 20:23:14, which seems about right for the time I first converted it. Also shown in the exif data is another field just called Date Time, and this shows 2010:07:22 03:18:51 which hasn't even happened yet. And just to add to the confusion the pixie Date Taken shows: 2010-Jul-07 14:58. I don't really know how this works. My camera and computer clocks are both correct.

Long story short, the original picture was taken before the challenge opened and therefore was not taken with the express purpose of the challenge, and therefore contravenes the rules. I won't be making that mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

4688103253_62b6073d56_z.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement