Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flower B.W C+C welcome

• 06-07-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi All
    Posting my firs picture in boards.
    C+C please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Nice shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

nice shot but I always find that flowers look better in colour though... that's what they're all about isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think this probably works better in B&W; there can be a lot of form in flowers. nice shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Really like the image, how it's processed and framed. The B&W suits I think. Lovely detail of the waterdrops at the back.

Well executed and a brilliant post for first C&C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yep I have to agree, really well done. We expect flower photos in colour but B&W can work really well as in the case of the OP's image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Thanks guys for your comments.
    Apreciate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Have to agree, this is a really good shot - even on my crappy work monitor. I'm not flower lover but I do like that shot. Beautiful detail and texture in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Have to agree, this is a really good shot - even on my crappy work monitor. I'm not flower lover but I do like that shot. Beautiful detail and texture in it.

Just had a look at this on 26" monitor, looks pretty cool on this too :)

as for C & C:
    I think this would suit a square crop. I would crop from the right so you would lose that bokeh in the top right which distracts a bit. Texture is great, I would maybe boost the contrast and up the blacks a bit: but that might be just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Quite nice stuff. Well done.

Lilies are another flower that can work really well in black and white. Many famous ones.

With your own efforts, i'm finding the shadows left of flower center towards the edge, somewhat distracting (to use that awful clichéd phrase) - but hopefully you'll see what i'm getting at.

Being picky, i'd say the sharpest point (left hand side of the flower) may not be the most appropriate point to establish the best sharpness. I don't know what the theory is and so a personal thought, but the natural expectation would be more sharpness towards the center falling away out of focus. That being said, the largest exposed surface area is on the edge you have used, so maybe you're fine.

Good stuff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Looks nice and the tones are nice but I've seen it 1000's of time before. No originality IMO of course

• Advertisement
Advertisement