Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Signs as advertising

Options
  • 06-07-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know the legalities about putting up a few road signs for a business im starting?
    They're A3 size and not at all fulltime.
    Only to get feet in the door for the first few months.

Can you be pulled up over it by law?
    I see lots of these signs on the road side as i drive into town.
    Would these have permission? And if so, how do you get permission?
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Over a pint I spoke to someone I know who is the head guy over the local council road workers. They take them down when they see them. I'm not sure why but I actually think permission, even planning permission is technically required - (he didnt say this)

From my brief conversation with him it seems that they definitely take them down immediately when they are in distracting areas such as approaching roundabouts/junctions or on roundabouts. I have seen other road signs stay up for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know the legalities about putting up a few road signs for a business im starting?
    They're A3 size and not at all fulltime.
    Only to get feet in the door for the first few months.

Can you be pulled up over it by law?
    I see lots of these signs on the road side as i drive into town.
    Would these have permission? And if so, how do you get permission?
    Thanks
    John

Its illegal to erect any sign of any size without planning permission(yes) on the public highway be it stand alone or attached to an existing sign.

you have to apply to your local area engineer with your proposal and he/she will make a final decision. However they are under stress to minimise the signs on our roads etc.

However there is nothing illegal about erecting a sign on private propery beside a public highway. There are a few restrictions like the max size (A0x5 i think) and it cannot overreach any walls or fences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

However there is nothing illegal about erecting a sign on private propery beside a public highway. There are a few restrictions like the max size (A0x5 i think) and it cannot overreach any walls or fences etc.

Hi Just wondering about this. Can you be 100% on this?

I was talking to a guy who had a A1 sign on a post in his friends garden and his friend got approached and was told to remove it by the CC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

There is a legal loophole where if the sign is mobile it can reside in private property without fear of penalty.

All you need to do is erect your signage on a box trailer (with wheels etc) and you are covered.

Technically the sign must be moved everyday, even if only by an inch, but in practice this is rarely checked. This loophole is the reason you see the big 40ft trailers in fields advertising stuff, in theory the trailer is
    mobile = council can't touch them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Hammertime wrote: »
    There is a legal loophole where if the sign is mobile it can reside in private property without fear of penalty.

All you need to do is erect your signage on a box trailer (with wheels etc) and you are covered.

Technically the sign must be moved everyday, even if only by an inch, but in practice this is rarely checked. This loophole is the reason you see the big 40ft trailers in fields advertising stuff, in theory the trailer is
    mobile = council can't touch them.

how much do these signs cost business's typically?
    A pal of mine was quoted €2,500 for a sign on a 40foot trailer near a major motorway - do you reckon thats good value or too much money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Laois county council have an annual charge of €630. I remember reading this and thinking it was extortion in these hard times. If the business is in an out of the way location the business would require numerous signs.

Bicky wrote: »
    Laois county council have an annual charge of €630. I remember reading this and thinking it was extortion in these hard times. If the business is in an out of the way location the business would require numerous signs.

thats for direction signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

tombull82 wrote: »
    Hi Just wondering about this. Can you be 100% on this?

I was talking to a guy who had a A1 sign on a post in his friends garden and his friend got approached and was told to remove it by the CC

well I have 3 of them up on private lands and they might as well be on the road they are so close and nothing ever happened.

I think your friends issue might have been the safety of the sign as I had to encase my stands in concrete to prevent them blowing away etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Thanks guys...

Does anyone nknow how high rise car parks feel about people putting fliers on carwindscreens?
    Seems like a good way of spreading the word?
    Hope i dont get arrested or beat up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

litter warden can fine you for that if he wishes to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Email the council, explain what you want to do, how long they will be erected for ect. They should grant permission.
    Huge companies like RTE production companies or large department stores eg Debenams put them up from time to time, so I doubt you need planning permission, but this will vary from CC to CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I came across these in Gorey the other day and they are extremely effective. You can have the actual sign scrolling or static if you wish and they can do the art work to suit you. A fantastic idea and well worth a look. It looks like they have a few vans, but I only saw the one.

http://www.championadz.com/

I came across these in Gorey the other day and they are extremely effective. You can have the actual sign scrolling or static if you wish and they can do the art work to suit you. A fantastic idea and well worth a look. It looks like they have a few vans, but I only saw the one.

http://www.championadz.com/

these a VERY expensive tho' from what i've been told, but they do look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

A small regular corriboard sign costs less than a tener!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

If you put up corribord signs or and other signs without permission you run the risk of a €150 fine for each sign for every day its up.

Where are you getting the 600 euro from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

my advice - dont contact the council first, dont contact them at all! put them up, u might get away with it for 5 days or 5 years. my cc just bins them but doesnt fine anyone

• Advertisement

Not all councils are the same Kerry Co Co dont charge for temporary signs put up for a week or so. You just need to get permition. I think not telling them is the easy option and the wrong way to go about it. Councils know how tough it is for businesses and from my experience they are willing to accommodate within reason.

Advertisement