Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legality of importing movie replica swords?

• 06-07-2010 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I'm not planning on importing a sharpened katana

But a movie sword prop to hang on the wall

Should there be any problems?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Do you do a search on the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 VEXERZ

The following errors occurred with your search:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Have a look at the answers to questions 14 & 15 on the Justice website. The links in the answer to Q14 take you to detailed descriptions of which swords are classed as offensive weapons and an offence to import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 VEXERZ

BornToKill wrote: »
    Have a look at the answers to questions 14 & 15 on the Justice website. The links in the answer to Q14 take you to detailed descriptions of which swords are classed as offensive weapons and an offence to import.

thanks bro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Barbarian25

Sorry to open up an old thread but didn't find anything else of relevance. I am considering trying to get a replica sword, for decoration, and was wondering what kind of red-tape would I have to go through with customs and such. I have no idea about anything like this. As they are not Katanas or any of the other items listed in the offensive list, what would they say??
    The items in question are possible this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001OXRTPQ/cfswords-20/
    or something like these http://www.battleorders.co.uk/the-kit-rae-gil-hibben-collection/view-all-products.html
    Does anyone have any info to give me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sorry to bump, but could someone clarify if movie replicas are banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

I would check out the earlier posted information from the Department of Justice website, and perhaps if still unsure, contact someone there.

The Offensive Weapons Order 2009 banned "katana" and "samurai" swords, other than those which were (i) manufactured prior to 1954, and/or (ii) made at any other time according to traditional methods of making such swords.

Reality is I know of people who've gotten them through Customs in the past, and who keep them at home at all times, but if you are ever caught with such an instrument expect consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

That information is still current. The new katana legislation makes it an offence to import,manufacture, offer for sale, sell, etc. but is not retrospective and this explains people having non-qualifying katanas at home. It is obviously still an offence to possess these in a public place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So could i send this to Ireland would you think under the legislation??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300670920152?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1158

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Barbarian25

Since its not a katana or samurai sword or any of the other weapons listed as banned, you might be able to get it sent here but customs will probably stick you with some extra charges. You could always try it and see what happens. Please keep us updated with what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErnieT

i am currently trying to order a replica myself, have any of the people that tried to order gotten theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's no issue with replicas unless it's a katana. It'll probably be stopped for VAT but then released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErnieT

Thanks for replying, hope the VAT isn't ridiculous. The sword is Orcrist from the Hobbit, not a katana but the blade is curved. Hope that won't be an issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DeleteSystem32

ErnieT wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, hope the VAT isn't ridiculous. The sword is Orcrist from the Hobbit, not a katana but the blade is curved. Hope that won't be an issue..

Any luck on getting this as i was looking at getting an Orcrist replica myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The things to watch out for are offensive weapons as defined by legislation, summarised by the DOJ: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ
    14. What are Offensive Weapons?
    Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons. These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes. Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists. You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here and the 2009 amendment to it here.

The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of offensive weapons and penalties of up to seven years imprisonment can apply.
    You wouldn't want to try to import a machete, katana or anything that would be characterised as a samurai sword. In that regard, there may be an argument to be made that there might be trouble with other Japanese swords such as a wakizashi or a tachi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_sword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Another bump, why not...

I'm in Canada at the minute. A friend has made and gifted me a replica Roman sword, similar to the one in Gladiator.

I'm sure they're not banned as he sent me one in the post previously, but it cost a bloody fortune to post.

The airline don't have any restrictions on it for my checked luggage, and it would save a lot in postage, but I'm just wondering if I'll get any hassle in Dublin Airport on arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not sure if Bruce has retired yet, buddy.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement