Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD for film editing

Options
  • 06-07-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, was wondering what type of HDD should i use for editing digital film files. It would have to be up to constant stress of reading and writing, and be fast enough to read the data to keep the process running smooth.
    It's just that i built a pc for my brother, and the hd is starting to fail appearantly (although he ain't too good with pc hardware)

Is there an industry standard that anyone is aware of for film?

Should i just bite the bullet and get a solid state drive? Or would this prove to be even worse? Don't know much about SSD's :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

It'd be pretty damn expensive to get an SSD bog enough for lots of raw footage, It might speed up the editing programs if you put those on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Well, i was thinking, that the an SSD with say 120gb or smaller at a cheap enough price, and use a 2tb or 2x 1tb HDD for raw storage while the SSD is used for working files. But i'd still like to know about the correct HDD to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The samsung f3 hard drives seems to be what is recommended mostly here, and one of the guys set 2 of them up in RAID 0 and the performance was impressive

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055780079&highlight=samsung

Proboably what you are looking for seeing as you need the large storage space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Are the F3's reliable ?? I have an F1 that's throwing up errors at the moment so I need to replace it. Was thinking on getting two 1TB F3's in RAID 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Well from deanos post that i linked to there, seems to be ridiculously fast speeds in raid, but he had them short striped (using only the outer section of each of the disks) so i don't know what they are like if you use the full capcaity of the drives. Drop him a PM sure

AFAIK they are going to be releasing new hard drives soon (F4?) which might be quicker and worth waiting for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I do a lot of video editing and haven't had any problems with my 1TB Samsung F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Looks like the problem was OS related, drive is perfect after a low level format :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Looks like the problem was OS related, drive is perfect after a low level format :)

Good to hear, I've had my fair share of drive problems in the past and it's a big pain when something happens. My 160GB Western Digital went corrupt last year and I had to format it and lost everything, then in Febuary it broke along with a 1TB Samsung F2EG. :(

Advertisement