Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc evolutionary biology

Options
  • 06-07-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Anyone doing or know anything about the MSc in Evolutionary Biology at ucd.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thought I'd give this a bump for 2012! Does anyone have any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shump2

yes i have completed the masters in 2011. what would you like to know.?

Well done on graduating Shump 2. I realise it's all relative but was it tough going and did you enjoy it? I have to be honest and say that some of the module titles are double dutch to me but I am trying to do some online research. By the way some modules are changing this year (perhaps a lecturer is leaving) but your experience should still be very valid. I did Zoology at undergrad and did pretty well and on the whole found it very interesting but the maths/stats side of things was pretty challenging. As is the way in most science courses virtually every assignment had a data analysis/stats aspect. I do understand that this is the standard scientific method but having said that I'd say I only wrote two essays in my whole degree. I notice on the website they also highlight the scientific writing/scientific journalism side of things on this course. Did you actually do much of that or in reality is it the usual science report format as described above. Also what sort of lab work did you do? Was it mainly looking at specimens or more concentrated on techniques?

I realise it's all relative but was it tough going and did you enjoy it? Thanks. Well any masters course will be ‘tough’, each having episodes of stress and the feeling of torture, so that’s normal. The masters was challenging but also intriguing and this makes it a lot easier to get grips of. Also, you will meet other students too and this acts as an anti-stress. So, in all, it had periods of tough moments but once you get the handle of it you will ‘naturally’ enjoy the course as I did.

I will give you a brief comment on the course, which is probably described on the course page. First off, at the start of the year you will go on a field trip that is organised by the school and get a better insight into ‘life’ outside the lab and you will learn about evolutionary processes leading to certain organisms. I know my trip was different to the following masters course so I cant really go into what YOUR field trip will entail. But before the course starts, there is a 4-5 day field trip. Its awesome

module titles are double dutch to me but I am trying to do some online research. By the way some modules are changing this year but your experience should still be very valid.. During the academic year you will do course modules and also each week you will have an exclusive 2 hour class learning about a specific topic each month. Depending on the module, in each month there is a 2 hour lecture each week (this could entail lectures, discussion groups and peer review of journals and articles, critique) and the final session that month will be a seminar from an expert in whatever topic it happens to be that month.

You will also modules as listed from the site, but its probably best to email the course co-ordinator to see if the modules have changed. You will do 5 modules throughout the academic year and examined at the end of each term. You need to be crafty in what you choose, some modules will be compulsory and they may seem double dutch now but when you do them you will realise that these subjects are key to learning about evolution. Throughout the academic year, I don’t think there will be much maths/stats and if there, its very easy work (again, lean of class mates to help of you find anything difficult).

I notice on the website they also highlight the scientific writing/scientific journalism side of things on this course. Did you actually do much of that or in reality is it the usual science report format as described above. For ‘current development in evolution’ you are required to write essays, in the format of scientific writing, like a literature review. Each month you will also do a 15 minute presentation on each topic. This course is well tuned and taught. You are trained in all aspects of fundamental evolutionary principles – and this allows you to venture into all or any aspects of biology/medicine. You learn about role of evolution in society (its controversies, drawbacks etc), the masters is so diverse, you will be trained heavily in genetics (which is KEY in any biological science), you will address issues in the management and conservation of marine, terrestrial animals/plants/ insects etc. despite the fact that you have only written two scientific essays beforehand, by the end of your thesis you should have a strong ability for scientific writing. A big goal of UCD is to train students for scientific communication. They have a goal to train high-calibre scientists.

Also what sort of lab work did you do. Was it mainly looking at specimens or more concentrated on techniques. Although this is a taught masters, by the end you will feel you have completed a research masters. You will start working with your chosen supervisor about April, and start working in the lab before or right after exams. Depending on what your project entails you will learn various lab techniques and a lot of analytical work in order to discuss reports etc. for examples, my project dealt with addressing evolutionary concepts by using genetics, molecular phylogenetics, population genetics, marine biology. So theres a lot…

oh and i also forgot, those of us who graduated from 2011, we all got jobs. mostly PhDs and one was offered a job at the natural history museum in london. So the tract record for jobs coming from this masters is 100%

• Advertisement

Thanks for that most detailed reply. I personally have no probs with scientific writing (I am also considering the MSc in Science Communication at DCU) it is the constant stats/maths that I have grown somewhat weary of... If you can find the time I have two final questions. Were all the end of year projects lab based? Secondly leaving the extensive self-study time aside roughly how many days a week did you have to attend college for lectures/practicals?

Thanks again for all the info Shump 2 and congrats on finding a job!

The masters in DCU is very good. I know someone who is actually finishing up at the end of the month, but I think it is a course that tend to diverge from ‘active’ scientific research. With this degree you could certainly go into scientific writing..!! I cant really comment on your problem with stats/math because I have my degree in theoretical physics, but there was a few people on the course who fainted at the thought of an equation, and that’s where students who come from diverse backgrounds step in. they help.! There is ALWAYS help, nothing is impossible, you will grow as a student, and those on the course who had difficulty with that aspect of the work are now probably the ones I need to go to for advice, so tables have turned in that regard.
    Yes the projects are lab based, depending on the project – your time will be spent in the lab with PhDs and technicians that help out a lot.

So you have 5 modules to do during the year, I know molecular phylogenetics is compulsory, and id recommend ecological modelling (100% continuous assessment). So the ‘curr dev in evol’ is 2 hours a week throughout the yr. so it could come to a point where you could choose 4 moldues in sem 1 and work your ass off, and have one module next sem and have 3 hours a week.!! Note that modules only last 4 weeks in ucd. So in month one you could have the 2 hours alongside 2 other modules – at 8 hours a week, the next month you could probably have only 2 hours a week. So it depends on what modules you choose.

Hope that helps.

That is pretty much my gut feeling at the mo. That the DCU Masters is prob good if you are interested in going into the writing or public information side of things (which is after all pretty much its stated purpose). However if you want to also keep the 'hard science' option open I could definitely see the DCU Masters being viewed as a softer/weaker course by employers/academics. I also have a feeling that Natural History Museums might hold a Masters in Evolutionary Biology, Biological Anthropology or similar in higher regard than a Science Communication degree. Including when they are hiring for a public info role. But that of course is just pure speculation on my part! As for me I just need to be realistic regarding my strengths and weaknesses when making my choice. Regardless you have made provided me with some first-hand info which is invaluable as former students are generally the most honest source of information.

Thanks again for all of your help.

well the evolution masters has a strong writing if not specialized aspect to science communication, you will carry out surveys and write a scientific article in the form of science communication. I also know that in DCU, you go to do an internship where you work for science communication where students have published in new papers. TBH in my opinion, the evolution masters would be perfect if you want to venture into science communication because they will cement the fundamental principles of biology in genetics, morphology, critique and controversy (evolution in society). So you will have strong capabilities in all areas of biology, research skills and communication. However, if you venture into DCU you will go into the course viewing communication in your previous degree which is biology and this limits you from fully understanding areas of physics, chemistry, engineering etc. so whatever you choose, keep that in mind.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brittnom

Hi, just wondering if any of you could tell me more about how to get into this course. Like what do you think the average mark needed in an undergrad to get in would be and what the entrance interview was like? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 beccabunga

Hi Diversidero, I'm also applying for both MScs- evolutionary biology in UCD and Science communications in DCU. Have been accepted to DCU and awaiting a reply from UCD. Still don't know which one to do (if I get offered UCD) but think this thread has me leaning towards UCD. What one did you end up choosing?

Well Becca I was offered a place on both courses but due to financial issues (failing to qualify for a grant for a start) I did neither!

Regarding the selection process I didn't have to interview for either course.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 beccabunga

Sorry to hear that :( Cheers for getting back to me.

Advertisement