Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting locations Cork & Galway

• 06-07-2010 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

So I'm going on our Family holiday next weekend. We are based in Blarney for 1 week (Sat-Sat) and then onto Galway City for 4 nights. We'll in Galway for part of the Arts Festival, hoping get some shots of Macnas in full swing.

But I'm looking for some hints/tips for good shooting locations, in around Blarney and/or Galway. I'm thinking early morning as I can sneak away while family are asleep, even better would be locations where family would be occupied too, while I grab a few shots.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Galway thread here. Didn't get off the ground though

Here's some of my sets from galway- from photo walk and general Galway set

Wander from Eyre Square down Shop Street to the market (on Saturday only), turn left at the end of the market, keep going straight (may have to turn on some streets but straight as the bird flies and you'll hit the docks) until you hit the docks.
    then head towards Spanish Arch, over the bridge, turn left onto the Claddagh, along the pier/park and onto Salthill.
    That would take you anytime from a few hours to a 1/2 day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Thanks for Galway suggestions, any suggestions for Cork area (based just outside Blarney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dave66 wrote: »
    Thanks for Galway suggestions, any suggestions for Cork area (based just outside Blarney)

Blarney castle and grounds obviously (nice house on the grounds, flowers etc)
    In cork city itself-
    The Old English Market (behind Patrick's Street). Indoor markets, full of characters, colours etc.
    Around Shandon Bells (maybe even up the tower)

Nice set here- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebelsabu/sets/72157622860648235/

Here's a set of mine from a photowalk- http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacork/sets/72157622346068121/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Blarney for a week? Wtf? You'll run out of things to do in an afternoon. It's an awkward trip into the city too, only a 10 minute drive but then you've to park the car. €€€

If the kids are into wildlife, take the shuttle train down to Fota Wildlife Park. There's nice scenery of the bay on the way down, and you should get some fascinated faces on the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Can you drag yourself to West Cork or Kerry ? Maybe a (long) day spin down around one of the peninsulas ? Well worth it !! In East Cork/West Waterford, there's Lismore(Castle, medieval town)/Ardmore(beach,tower)/Youghal(beach,cliffs)/Ballycotton(beach, lighthouse)/Cobh(town, cathederal), each > a good days drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Winnieacre

+1 Blarney Castle and English Market

Try top of Patrick's Hill for view over city. City Hall/Elysian for night shot if the Elysian is lit up.

Day trips -
    +1 Fota - check times for feeding of different animals
    Kinsale town + Charlesfort, Gougane Barra (church and forest), Cobh

Lots to choose from depending on what you like to shoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I'm sure a stroll around Blarney will produce a few shots. Plenty
    of opportunities in Cork City. Lots of bridges and old buildings.

Daly's Bridge, St Vincent's Bridge, English Market,
    various churches & cathedrals, The Lough, Atlantic Pond.....

If you have transport:
    Kinsale, Cobh, Fota Wildlife Park...

Some of mine:
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/album/371364

GavinZac wrote: »
    Blarney for a week? Wtf? You'll run out of things to do in an afternoon. It's an awkward trip into the city too, only a 10 minute drive but then you've to park the car. €€€

If the kids are into wildlife, take the shuttle train down to Fota Wildlife Park. There's nice scenery of the bay on the way down, and you should get some fascinated faces on the kids.

Yeah, long story behind it, short version, we were going to Waterford but wife's godmother is 70 so there's a surprise party we have to attend. So have to go to Cork. Got a good deal in Blarney Golf Resort (has pool for kids).

Fota & Cobh heritage center on my list. Had not thought of taking shuttle, was going to drive, but kids might like shuttle.
    Can you drag yourself to West Cork or Kerry ? Maybe a (long) day spin down around one of the peninsulas ? Well worth it !! In East Cork/West Waterford, there's Lismore(Castle, medieval town)/Ardmore(beach,tower)/Youghal(beach,cliffs)/Ballycotton(beach, lighthouse)/Cobh(town, cathederal), each > a good days drive.

I love west cork, spent a week around Ballydehob last year. Cobh is on my list, Ballycotton sounds interesting, we are all "into" lighthouses, especially my wife.
    Winnieacre wrote: »
    +1 Blarney Castle and English Market

Try top of Patrick's Hill for view over city. City Hall/Elysian for night shot if the Elysian is lit up.

Day trips -
    +1 Fota - check times for feeding of different animals
    Kinsale town + Charlesfort, Gougane Barra (church and forest), Cobh

Lots to choose from depending on what you like to shoot

Charlesfort and Kinsale (arts festival running next week) on list, Gougane Barra could be good.
    hbr wrote: »
    I'm sure a stroll around Blarney will produce a few shots. Plenty
    of opportunities in Cork City. Lots of bridges and old buildings.

Daly's Bridge, St Vincent's Bridge, English Market,
    various churches & cathedrals, The Lough, Atlantic Pond.....

If you have transport:
    Kinsale, Cobh, Fota Wildlife Park...

Some of mine:
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/album/371364

Intend spending a day around the City & City Gaol, turns out my great great grandfather was deputy governor there in 1907.

Thanks for all the pointers, wife is from Cork, so she should have some places she wants to visit too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

wife is from Cork
    Now you tell us :rolleyes::D You know what they say, you can take the woman outa cork but not the cork outa the woman (or something like that) :p

Now you tell us :rolleyes::D You know what they say, you can take the woman outa cork but not the cork outa the woman (or something like that) :p

True, doesn't mean she knows good places for photography though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's quite a trek from blarney, but down around barleycove and mizen head is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Ballycotton sounds interesting, we are all "into" lighthouses, especially my wife.

;)

there is roaches point lighthouse which is closer and you have the incredible view of the harbour too. there are fantastic views of the harbour and lighthouse from crosshaven, up on the hill you can see everywhere from east ferry to trabolgen(tele lens would be preferable though). And close-ish to that end of the world is curribinny woods. nice for the kids and family, lots of picnic spots and a few animals, also some nice shots to be had.

it's quite a trek from blarney, but down around barleycove and mizen head is fantastic.

Was down there last year, loved the whole area. Don't think we'll make the trek this year though.
    mawk wrote: »
    there is roaches point lighthouse which is closer and you have the incredible view of the harbour too. there are fantastic views of the harbour and lighthouse from crosshaven, up on the hill you can see everywhere from east ferry to trabolgen(tele lens would be preferable though). And close-ish to that end of the world is curribinny woods. nice for the kids and family, lots of picnic spots and a few animals, also some nice shots to be had.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement