Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance from Exchange?

• 06-07-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

I cannot seem to find exact Eircom Exchange locations anywhere on the net.

Been searching for hours, so I'm either blind, stupid, or its just not there.

Does anyone know if

a: there is a list anywhere of Eircom exchange / node locations (actual locations, not just area's where they are)

b: where the Eircom exchange / node is located in Finglas?

I want to try work out how far (roughly) I am from the exchange, in order to work out what my theoretical maximum adsl2+ speed may be.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no map, you are correct.

There are a few DSL cabinets in Finglas too, one just north of the M50 along the old N2.

Exchanges like Cappogue Dubber Ballycoolin Coldwinters Mitchelstown Building and Northwest Business Park are all generally around Finglas but the answer to Question B is Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is no map, you are correct.

There are a few DSL cabinets in Finglas too, one just north of the M50 along the old N2.

Exchanges like Cappogue Dubber Ballycoolin Coldwinters Mitchelstown Building and Northwest Business Park are all generally around Finglas but the answer to Question B is Here

Thanks, at least I'm not going mad. Should this information not be publicly available?

I cannot actually see where the Exchange is on the map? I'm just off McKee avenue though, so by the looks of things, I'm less than 1k from an Exchange?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks, at least I'm not going mad. Should this information not be publicly available?

You'd think that wouldn't you....its public in the UK and can easily be seen on the likes of samknows.com.

Eircom seem to think they must guard this info incase terrorists use it

Cabaal wrote: »
    You'd think that wouldn't you....its public in the UK and can easily be seen on the likes of samknows.com.

Eircom seem to think they must guard this info incase terrorists use it

Hmm Comreg should really have this available, like you can check with the mobile phone masts.

Crazy really, especially when consumer services depend on that information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It should be available yes were Comreg in any way competent. With any luck the new USO will be for DSL as well as Voice and Dialup and Comreg will cop themselves on.

There is a special database out there that the mods in this forum can access if they wish but industry consensus is that exchange locations and exchange coverage polygons is a secret and the database is restricted because of that. If one BEGS a mod they may PM you what you specifically need but lots of people don't know what exchange they are actually connected to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

OP knowing your distance from the exchange probably wouldn't do you much good even if you could figure it out you've no way of knowing what way the cable is routed from there to your home.

n0brain3r wrote: »
    OP knowing your distance from the exchange probably wouldn't do you much good even if you could figure it out you've no way of knowing what way the cable is routed from there to your home.

I know that, but at least should give me an idea. The apartment is new, so I'd imagine at least the copper to my apt is decent enough, the line tested good enough for 24Mbit (so they said) so I wanted to have an idea if I'm close enough to obtain the full service, and if I get close enough to that, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Maybe try asking a neighbour what they're getting? In my exp if the line test says you can have 24mbs you should connect at 20+ but even with the best line what you'll be left with after contention is another story

Advertisement