Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa 146 Brake problem - soft pedal

• 06-07-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I am drawing a blank on this problem but maybe you guys/gals could shed a bit of light.
    A friend of mine has an Alfa Romeo 146 1998, the brakes were always crap, as in, you would need to jump on the pedal for it to start slowing you down-like the pedal is touching the floor! He had to leave the car lying up for a year and he is back now and wants to get it going but needs an NCt and it won't pass coz of the brakes.

Anyway, got my brothers mate to look at it (he is a bus mechanic). He changed the Brake master cylinder, Brake servo, Rear slave cyl's , drained and refilled with fresh brake fluid and pressure bled the brakes. The brake pedal is much better but it's not holding the pressure, it's like it's leaking internally somewhere coz it's not leaking externally.

Any ideas?

I was told that it could be the brake lines? that he should, as a matter of course, change the brake discs and pads due to rust build up over the year ( but the problem is there when the car is stationary )

He doesn't want to spend a fortune as he has already spent half of what the car is actually worth - All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've heard of old brake lines bulging under pressure - I suppose this would cause the symptoms you describe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've heard of old brake lines bulging under pressure - I suppose this would cause the symptoms you describe?

I'd suspect this too. I know from the motorbiking world, the hose between the master and slave cylinder will stretch over time, as such the brakes become softer more kind of spongy. Changing the hose gives instant restoration of brake feel.

Now, you'll need to check with a mechanic (not me), but I'd be checking the rubber hoses that come from the solid steel pipes to the calipers. They are rubber because of suspension, etc. These will stretch overtime and give some fading.

Advertisement