Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Line 5th July 2010: Families in Modern Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I grew up in a single parent household when my Dad feckered off before I was born. It was really really really really hard, and I can't even tell you all the things that I deal with on a daily basis due, not only to my father's abandonment, but to being my mother's only child.

That's not to say that I think single-parent families aren't good for a child by any means but I just think for all those people who think ssc (especially) shouldn't have children, I have to wonder if having a single-parent is somehow better for society then two loving people of the same sex, it shouldn't matter what your family situation is as long as the child is healthy, happy and loved.

There are huge amounts of children all across the world looking for safe and happy homes, why should who you love affect your ability to take these children into your life?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I watched most of it and I have to say Pat Kenny hid his bias very poorly.

I hope it will appear on reeling in the years in a decade's time and we can have a laugh at how backward we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I watched most of it and I have to say Pat Kenny hid his bias very poorly.

I hope it will appear on reeling in the years in a decade's time and we can have a laugh at how backward we were.

+1 I felt he was almost sneering and acting grossed out when Ivana Bacik was making her points. I hope he realises how badly he came across. Its like being gay is a lifestyle choice to some people still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You obviously don't agree with me/ aren't going to agree with me, I would not be prepared to put a child be brought up by a same sex couple I to the lions den that is primary and secondary school at this present time.

I do not believe it is a same sex couples human right to raise or adopt children. If it was I'm sure you know how referendums work divorce abortion the good Friday agreement.

To be straight (pardon the pun) 'Anxious' I would disagree with everything you have said as well.

Now don't get me wrong this is not an attack on your opinion I believe that you genuinely believe in what you are saying. But...

Your opinion is massively ironic to say the least. You would propose that no changes should be made. You believe that parenting is such a simple act as to be only workable for the child by non same sex traditional parents in this case.

Anyone can be a parent and there are plenty of bad parents out there by the bucket load as much as there are good parents, single, separated, male, female, together or not. The key to parenting in my view is... I will try to bring up my child with as little prejudices about other people in life much as possible. But at the same time without being to PC.

If the kids in the playground discriminate against another child in this situation then it is the way that these kids have been taught to see life i.e. in a one dimensional or ignorant way by their parents or via the peer pressure from other kids with said type of parents.

The common denominator when you think about it is as I said is people with these type of ironic views which prevent / obstruct forward thinking people from moving forwards in the education of their kids.

Same sex parents are not the general problem really, neglectful and problematic parents are the real problem, they pass on their ignorance, anger and problems down to their kids. It is also deeper rooted in poverty, mental illness, drug addiction and other such issues.

To equate same sex parents in all this is purely ridiculous and ignorant. I hope you learn a lesson from this thread 'Anxious' I really do. Parenting is a very complex, treasured and indeed a privileged process that all potential decent parents have a right to regardless of their gender. I for one will not raise my child with ignorant views if I can help it.

It is what makes the world a better or worse place via the legacy that parents pass on to their children. i.e. stand up for your rights be confident, know what you want and go for it, respect others regardless of their situation, gender etc and the list goes on.
    Good parents know this and can come from any quarter, gay straight does not come into it in the long run in my opinion and I will pass this opinion onto my child / children. That is part of my legacy thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I thought the judge was the most sensible.
    ANXIOUS, she said we can't legislate for the ideal we want, we have to legislate for what currently exists. Like it or not, gay families with children exist. Like it or not, single parents exist. The State is supposed to cherish all the children of the nation EQUALLY, not just those born to married hetereosexuals, and can I point out that marriage laws were a barrier to removing children from horrific circumstance of incest in Ireland. Children need to be protected no matter what circumstances they are born into because they don't get to chose to be born to a stable, married tranditional couple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement