Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Three (mobile phone provider)

Options
  • 06-07-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

I change mobile phone network. Went for Three when I got new phone in the Carphone Warehouse. Reception is TERRIBLE and it's turning out a lot more expensive than my old provider. I want to leave asap. Their customer service never answer the phone. Was trying to get through Saturday morning. I fill in a on line form in order to get 'an instant' call back and they just called now, three days later. I couldn't even talk to them properly because of the reception and am waiting for them to call my landline! From what I could hear I can't leave until I have spent €180 and have only spent €50. Can they insist on this considering they are providing a terrible service and reception? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I presume you took out a contract phone not a pay as you go. I also moved to 3 recently and have called their support line 3 times without trouble and have perfect reception (Waterford).

In short no you can't walk away from the contract, you did have 14 days from the date you signed the contract to return the phone and cancel the contract as is you right under the consumer credit act.

Once these 14 days are up you would need 3 to somehow not fulfill your contract, not delivery something you were told you would have. Other than that you need to pay the minimum rental needed to cover the 12 months your contract lasts for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm prepay. IMO they are not fulfilling their end of the deal - I have very bad reception. Simply not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Why did you not return the phone when you discovered the reception was bad?

Walkman wrote: »
    Why did you not return the phone when you discovered the reception was bad?

It was ok the first few weeks but has got worse and worse.

They have agreed to give me the unlock code. Tech support went through a few thinks so now know how bad my reception is. Should have it in 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well they couldn't do more than that for you, you got a phone for 50 euro that would usually cost alot more. What area are your in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mood wrote: »
    It was ok the first few weeks but has got worse and worse.

They have agreed to give me the unlock code. Tech support went through a few thinks so now know how bad my reception is. Should have it in 5 days.

So what's the problem?

So what's the problem?

I original post went up AFTER they did technical tests and after I had a few very difficult conversation with them. If you look at the time of the posts you will see there is a 4 hour between the first posts and third post! I was proven right and they then finally agreed to give me the unblock code. I had terrible hassle to get them to agree to give it. It will take a week to get it. Customer service were no help and it was even had to get to speck to a manager!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Well they couldn't do more than that for you, you got a phone for 50 euro that would usually cost alot more. What area are your in?

At first they refused point blank to give me the unblock code. They are very difficult to deal with. I have lost some freelance work over this so it is very serious. Getting the phone for less won't make up for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Is your town known to have bad reception with 3?

It could be your phone. My OH was having terrible reception and I could rarely even get through to her phone. But I'm also on 3 and had no problems. So we gathered it was the phone itself. Got a replacement phone and there we go now reception is perfect.

Ask 3 if your town should have normal reception, and if they say yes then ask for a replacement phone. Will save you paying for two bills for a year if you switch and find out it's a problem with the phone.

koHd wrote: »
    Is your town known to have bad reception with 3?

It could be your phone. My OH was having terrible reception and I could rarely even get through to her phone. But I'm also on 3 and had no problems. So we gathered it was the phone itself. Got a replacement phone and there we go now reception is perfect.

Ask 3 if your town should have normal reception, and if they say yes then ask for a replacement phone. Will save you paying for two bills for a year if you switch and find out it's a problem with the phone.

I think they checked out my area because they had to call me on my landline and asked if that was where I lived. As far as I could gather the technical tests proved the problem was with the network not the phone. I don't know anyone else on the Three network. On a whole they were not very helpful and wouldn't give me straight answers etc. But at least I only have another week with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

mood wrote: »
    I think they checked out my area because they had to call me on my landline and asked if that was where I lived. As far as I could gather the technical tests proved the problem was with the network not the phone. I don't know anyone else on the Three network. On a whole they were not very helpful and wouldn't give me straight answers etc. But at least I only have another week with them.

Not very helpful? Any operator will do network tests before releasing you from contract or giving you the unlock code for a phone they sold you at a subsidised price. They did their tests, admitted it's a coveage problem and are getting you the code to unlock code. Seems fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

3 kindly provided me with the worst Consumer experience in a lifetime recently - I wouldn't wish them or their "Customer Care" nightmare on anyone, ever.

- You'll have to fight your corner because they will run rings around you if you let them.

It took an hour for them to agree to do tests. I spend well over two hours on the phone to them! They didn't even want me to talk to a manager. I wait three days for them to call me back! Initially they kept refusing give me unlock code although I was telling them I couldn't even use the phone coverage was so bad. You really have no idea how hard it was to get them to agree to give me the code (should have it next week). One of the worse companies I have ever dealt with.

Advertisement