Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar recommendation..

Options
  • 06-07-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Heading to see The Rat Pack @ the Grand Canal Threatre.

I've never had a drink over that part of the city, so looking for somewhere within walking distance of the venue (I'm just a few days off a crutch & not up to long walks).

Since I'll be heading north side afterwards I don't mind somewhere around the IFSC. Not looking for a club, but a little music would be nice, it'll just be two of us.

Anyone?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've never spent time in one of these pubs for the music and it depends what time and day you are going.

Ely - gastro pub across the square from the theatre, more of a hob-nob place but fine for joe-soaps :) (seating outside also) Watch out for dickie bow clad theatre goers here when a performance is on so its gets extremely packed at these times. Comfy seats inside though and defo the shortest walk from the theatre. Musicwise when I stayed till 2am on Saturdays was just low funky background music of the relaxing type, no club here :)

Ocean bar - nice place across the water(canal dock), has a late bar with music (seating outside also but less of seats and more of dangling your legs over the waters edge than Ely). The hob-nob theatre goers tend not to go here as its a place really for after work drinks for all walks of life. As you're on crutches, you might not get a seat, you can see this place across from the theatre. They may blast the music out there late at night, i just noticed it a few times passing at night but its on random nights as some nights they don't!

Ferryman - Traditional Irish pub by the new bridge. Full of tourists, hob-nobs and regular joe soaps. You will probably get a seat here. Haven't a clue about music here.

Expect all places to charge a fiver for a pint of lager and you would usually get a seat before 5:30pm on weekdays. There are a few places on Mayor sq, IFSC but havent spent enough drinking time in them to judge them, another poster could help you there. Regards here, the pubs can get very packed before and after a concert is on at The Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks G, I'd forgotten about The Ocean Bar..

Never been in it and always fancied a visit.. And while I won't be wearing a dickie bow, I will be in suit & tie so if you forgot my confo you can drop down with a fiver :D

Hey thanks once again G.

We went across to the hotel for a few after the show, nice spot but its still a hotel bar. Staff were really nice, lovely pint of Carlsberg, yum!.

Ended up in The Ferryman, brilliant view's of the docks. Nice pint and good ol' craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Forgot about that Maldron bar! Was there any late music in the Ferryman?

gurramok wrote: »
    Was there any late music in the Ferryman?

I don't think so!.. I was pretty hammered by the time I got to it. Had three or four pints and went home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement