Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service pipes in a raft foundation

• 06-07-2010 4:47pm

Hi all
    I am wondering what service pipes anyone would suggest I should put in my raft foundation.

Here is where im at:

1. Two ESB hockey sticks for esb and phone line
    2. Hockey stick for mains water supply
    3. Sewer pipes with 90 degree bends for toilets
    4. Two hockey sticks for gas in kitchen and gas fire in sitting room
    5. Two 4 inch sewer pipes with 15 degree bends to connect a heat pump from garage to house (Electrice heat pump with underfloor heating)
    6. One four inch pipe with a gulley for a wet room shower
    7. One hockey stick to bring power fom house to garage

Any advice on any thing else i need?
    Also what should i do about other bath and shower. I know you can run the waste pipes under the floor screed and out the wall. Will this affect the underfloor heating though?
    If there were ways to bring these out under the raft this would be good.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

if you think you'd ever have a need for it put it in. For example air supply pipe for room sealed stove.

See raft below, (Its a cold bridge free raft). Are you putting a foamglass of AAC block on the inside to keep the inner leaf warm?

DSC00601.JPG
    DSC00604.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Will you have an island kitchen and if so will the island need a drain ?

Have you planned your soil drain drops from the upper level(s) ?

Radon vent - is it being taken up through the house ?

Cable tv ?

Sewer pipes for all ground floor sinks and basins ?

It's very easy to deal with ducts and drain pipes that it later turns out you don't need . The reverse is not true .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Ensure all these penetrations of your radon barrier are well sealed before the concrete is poured . Your AT test will be "proof of the pudding"

See raft below, (Its a cold bridge free raft). Are you putting a foamglass of AAC block on the inside to keep the inner leaf warm?

Im putting in a cavity wall (100mm cavity) with pumped insulation and 50mm insulation backed plaster board

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Will you have an island kitchen and if so will the island need a drain ?

Have you planned your soil drain drops from the upper level(s) ?

Radon vent - is it being taken up through the house ?

Cable tv ?

Sewer pipes for all ground floor sinks and basins ?

It's very easy to deal with ducts and drain pipes that it later turns out you don't need . The reverse is not true .

I will have an island but the sink is not on it. In relation to the drains for the sinks can you not run the waste pipes under the screed and out the wall. Is it better to put in a 4 inch pipe in the raft for these and will this be easy to connect the sink waste to?

I will look into an extra inlet for cable tv etc. Thank you

• Advertisement

As for the radon barrier i willmake sure it is sealed properly. The guy doing my raft comes highly recommened by engineers and other friends. The radon will be piped underneath the house and up the outside wall. My house is a bungalow by the way.

Thank you for all replies

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

mods, apologies in advance for digging up this thread but it is directly related to my query.

i'm currently completing tender selection for our dormer bungalow renovation.

we will be using a supergrund insulated raft foundation, quinnlite blocks and ewi outside.

in this thread and elsewhere, i've read suggestions that bringing in services through the foundation is a good idea.

we plan to have our esb and gas meter on our garden wall with services entering the house in this way.

ideally we would like to do this for other services. so in total -
    a) drains obviously!
    b) cable from esb meter
    c) pipe for gas meter
    d) mains water
    e) rainwater harvesting underground tank water pipe and pump cable
    f) water and power to shed location
    g) satellite dish and aerial cables
    h) perhaps power to outside for external sockets

however, i'm unclear on the details. for instance -
    1) what level underground should each service pipe go? above or below the insulation and radon barrier or different rules for different services?
    2) should all cables/pipes go inside service pipes?
    3) what type of service ducts should we be using in each instance and can services share a single service duct?

our architect does not appear to have dealt with this before and i would like to agree these details with the builder before signing.

could any of you help clear this up!

thanks for your help,

slip

Advertisement