Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Way of Finding Out Did You Get Your Moneys Worth.

Options
  • 06-07-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I think I have created a way to find out if a game you've bought was worth the money.

I'll use Torchlight for the PC as an example.

First you take the price of the Game, which in this case is €16.

You then find out how many hours you've played the game for, which according to Steam is 28 hours.

You then divide the price by the amount of hours.

So €16 divided by 28 equals to €0.57.

Now is where it gets tricky.

Just because you played the game a lot does not mean that is was worth the money.

So you give the score a ranking out of 5 based on your own feelings.

Then multiply or divide the price you just got depending on the score of the game.

1/5= Multiply by 2
    2/5= Multiply by 1.5
    3/5= ----
    4/5= Divide by 1.5
    5/5= Divide by 2

So in this case I really enjoyed Torchlight so will give it 5/5.

So 0.57 divided by 2 equals 0.285.

The lower the score the better, meaning you got your moneys worth from the game.

Another Example.

Say you played Game X for 10 hours and the Game cost you €60. You also didn't enjoy the game all that much so give the game a score of 2/5.

60 divided by 10= 6

Multiplied by 1.5 to give a score of 9

This would mean that you did not get your moneys worth form the game...

Obviously some tgames are exempt from this (ex. Portal) due to being great but short.

So what do you all think?

Waste of time for me typing all this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TL;DR

I paid €30 for Arma2 and got 500+ hours out of it so far, now thats value, beat that :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'd rate a game by whether I enjoyed playing it or not. If I did, I got my moneys worth. If not meh I wont lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Getting your moneys worth doesnt necessarily equate to enjoying the game.

E.g , I gave MW2 60+ hours of my time, I HATE the game. But I got my moneys worth I suppose.

And for the likes of Rockband, where I have RB1/2/ACDC/Beatles+download content + extra guitars/drums/mics probably well over 350.....the result would be a high number and therfore skewed, as I enjoyed every minute of these games.

Whatever works for you though I suppose.

TeamFortress 2 is the best game for money ever I feel, as its constantly updated and given new and free content over the last 2 years. Amazingly supported by valve. Also with Payload, being the greatest gametype of any game ever imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems pretty flawed tbh... I've spent £4 on games like plants vs zombies and 10 times that on games like Arkham Asylum, and have spent roughly the same amount of time playing each one but don't really feel that either of them was better "value for money".

There's good games and crap games... Crap games are bad value for money, it really doesn't need to be complicated any further than that imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    TL;DR

I paid €30 for Arma2 and got 500+ hours out of it so far, now thats value, beat that :D

Team Fortress 2:
    Paid: $54.39 (Orange Box) Total playtime: 767.9 hrs :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

tman wrote: »
    Seems pretty flawed tbh... I've spent £4 on games like plants vs zombies and 10 times that on games like Arkham Asylum, and have spent roughly the same amount of time playing each one but don't really feel that either of them was better "value for money".

There's good games and crap games... Crap games are bad value for money, it really doesn't need to be complicated any further than that imho.

Obviously its not a definate system. Just a litle thing I like to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i don't really do the whole value for money thing. i've never bought a new game when it was just released. i've always waited for them to come down in price and get them 2nd hand.

though i'd say the best value game i have would probably be Unreal Tournament. got for \bout £20 in Virgin in 2000, and have been playing it since. probably spent over 2 years total time playing it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So what do you all think?

No offence intended, but yes.

Take Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake. The former lasted ~28hrs, the latter ~8hrs. I paid the same amount for them and loved them both equally.

Theory fail. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

OP you're a engineer aren't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

By your maths, Ico, the most masterful of videogames, would get a horrid 2.5 score (€40, 8hrs for 2 playthroughs, 5/5 score == (40/8/2))

No thank you, sir.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    By your maths, Ico, the most masterful of videogames, would get a horrid 2.5 score (€40, 8hrs for 2 playthroughs, 5/5 score == (40/8/2))

No thank you, sir.

Its not foolprooth obviously! Just a little sometyhing I like to do. As I said before there is exceptions.

Portal

€15 divided by 4 hours gameplay equals 3.75.
    Game is brialliant, therefore warrants a score of 5 out of 5.
    Only adds up to 1.875.

While in actual fact its one my favourite games of all time.

Maybe the system would work better with a different scoring system?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well I've got you now, good sir, because Valve gave me Portal for free!

Therefore, €0 divided by 4hrs ==
    750px-Portal_Infinity.jpg?1246230875

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well I've got you now, good sir, because Valve gave me Portal for free!

Therefore, €0 divided by 4hrs ==

Ah! But the system is meant to find out did you get your moneys worth. You paid nothing, so therefore have spent no money , hence always getting worth from the game regardless of playtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I've been watching too much Dilbert and he was doing stuff like what you did in an episode for fun.

I think my games rating is the best

Read about game, if i like the sound of it i'll get it

If i like it then its rated good :D

If i don't it's rated bad.

allanb49 wrote: »
    I've been watching too much Dilbert and he was doing stuff like what you did in an episode for fun.

I think my games rating is the best

Read about game, if i like the sound of it i'll get it

If i like it then its rated good :D

If i don't it's rated bad.

Too complicated if you ask me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you get your moneys worth if you dont regret the purchase

simple

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

COD4 - 684hrs
    10 euro
    = 0.014

5/5

=> 0.014/2
    = 0.007

Hells yesssss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I see if I get my moneys worth by comparing the price of one hour of gameplay with one hours worth of a movie I can see in the cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Simple point is you cannot and will not ever make a viable equation to sum up human emotions or feelings. You could spend your entire life working on this equation and be happy with the general outcome but it will never fit the majority at all.
    .... Utility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I use a different system, the pints system.

I'll quite happily go out and spend €50 on a rake of pints with my mates. Or on a quiet evening, I might spend €20 on just a few. A pint might take... between half an hour and an hour to drink if you're not rushing it and just casually sipping away. I never wonder if I've gotten my moneys worth there (even though I'm obviously being ripped off, I'll still pay it, because I have to and because I enjoy having pints with my mates).

Call it 40 minutes per pint. And call the price of a pint €5.

So, if I spend a fiver on a game, and I spend an enjoyable 40 minutes playing the game, I have gotten my moneys worth. If I spend a whole night on a €5 game, then I've really gotten more than my money's worth.

If I spend €50 on some game, say Modern Warfare 2, or Mass Effect 2 or whatever... I'll have to spend more enjoyable time playing it to equal the number of pints. So I'd have to get a whole night before I get my moneys worth, or two.

Obviously with games like Oblivion or Fallout 3, or the Civ\Total War series, I'll have spent maybe €50 to €100 on the various games. Have I gotten my money's worth out of them? **** yeah.

Of course, the beauty of this system is that you can get some cans and compare the merits of both pints and games at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't have a system really, if it's good, it's good, doesn't matter the price (within reason of course). Torchlight I got for 8 euro during the sale, have put 5 hours into it already. I guess if you want to say 8 euro is approximate to an hour or so in work, I've gotten 5 hours of fun (plus more to come!) for one hour of work. Although I tend not to think of these things.

I spent the best part of 250 euro (and maybe another 30-50 on DLC) on Rock Band 1-2. And yet I have no regrets of paying that much, have had loads of fun with the kit.

Advertisement