Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running a market stall

Options
  • 06-07-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

hi all

i am hoping to start running my own stall at a local market soon, but was just wondering if i need to register as a sole trader or ltd company or can u just trade away?? it would be just one day a week, selling clothes...

any advice would be grately appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

There's a wealth of info on market stalls available here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

thanks for the link, rogue trooper... theres some very interesting stuff there but i couldnt find the answer to my question....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Nevie

If you trade at a private indoor market you don't need one, you just pay a pitch and maybe something to cover insurance. If however you wish to trade in your local market town you will need a casual trading licence. About E200 a year, plus pitch fee for the Council. Hope this helps. Car boot sales are popping up all over the place. Best of Luck.

You don't need to Register in the situations above that i mentioned! I'm referring to a trading licence sorry! But the same kinda applies.

thanks nevie. yes it is a private indoor market and not a car boot sale, they have told me i need to get my own public liability insurance for my stall. i just want to make sure i dont end up in any trouble with taxes etc.

im also wondering should i register my business name, just in case i decided to go legit at some stage. im hoping that if my stall takes off i may do it on a more full time basis.

• Advertisement

I'm in the very same boat myself. My post is just below yours! I'm looking to set up something like an indoor market myself legit but without as much red tape as possible. Generally i'm hearing if its an indoor market, they wont even look for the insurance and its a waste of time because the proprietor has to have Public liability anyway!!! So bide your time with the insurance premium for the while.

Furthermore i have learned that there is a 3 month grace with regard to getting revenue sorted so that if its not a worthy venture, your not under too much pressure from that side!

Registration of a business name on line only costs E40 so thats no major loss there is you decide not to run with it,and your ensured your name.

As a matter of interest what kind of clothing are you selling? I'm trying to get into the Steampunk fashion. Designing and making :)

thanks for that nevie. thats good that you get 3 months grace, makes sense really doesnt it. i dont want to get too into it unless im sure its gonna work out ya know. i was originally going to open a babyclothes shop but had to stop myself, the price of rent is mental and the whole idea was just too risky for me. im gonna start small and work my way up!

im prob gonna sound like a right wally but what is steam punk ?? :confused:

also are u trying to start a whole market or just a stall???

i contacted the company who do the pl insurance for the stalls.. i was a bit shocked to get a quote for230 euro per year which has to paid up front. i mean what if it didnt work out after a couple of weeks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Whats the idea behind the insurance ? is it in case some idiot falls over your stock or something ? I know someone who sells in a couple of markets with no insurance at all.

yeh ive been to loads of car boot sales and there no mention of insurance? this is one of those new indoor markets with no junk iykwim?? id like to find a way around it coz i dont want to pay if im not going to sticka t it for the whole year!

• Advertisement

The insurance IS because if some idiot trips and tries to sue you for all your worth. You wouldn't believe some people. I'm hoping to set up an indoor market without all the junk! In Clare, not giving too much away ;) How much would do people think is acceptable to pay for a pitch as a matter of interest. If its gonna be busy? Im putting that out there! or maybe i should start a thread!

well the one im planning on setting up at is 20euro per week which i think is kinda steep but 10% of that goes to charity. my local car boot sale is only 10, but id actually rather be at the indoor market. better customers if ya get me...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

lyndak082 wrote: »
    i contacted the company who do the pl insurance for the stalls.. i was a bit shocked to get a quote for230 euro per year which has to paid up front. i mean what if it didnt work out after a couple of weeks like?

I checked with one of the guys who looks after Public Liability insurance for markets/stalls and he said €231 for the year.

Any stall with cooking equipment is treated as a catering setup and works out more expensive.

I asked whether after the couple of weeks, things didn't work out would you be entitled to a refund as you would with car/household but I was told generally there is no refund on liability insurance.

If you have any queries let me know and i'll find out what i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

€200 - €250 is what I've been quoted so the figure you were given definitely sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

Go through Iomst for the insurance, you probably will not get cheaper then anywhere else, either way its cheaper then been sued personally

yeh thats where i got the quote from iomst. looks like im gonna have to pay it so....

nevie how are your plans coming along???

Lyndak082 I'm sitting at the moment! I'm getting so many different opinions its hard to know! Well its not really, a lot of people are telling me that i should just go for it. Set up and say nothing and if its a go then its a go, no thousands wasted on setting up a company or changing the building to health and safety. I've been in plenty of places that i'm sure the fire chief hasn't seen!!!!

Anyway if its a go, and successful then i have the grace period with the Revenue to get myself sorted and go legit. When i say legit i mean in the eyes of bankers and politicians, which is of course not legit at all, as i've stated i'm hoping to avoid all that crap. People are afraid, i'm am too, don't get me wrong, but we're literally being told we cannot make our own living, which is a constitutional infringement. Don't want to sound like Sara Connor from Terminator but its the establishment that is the problem not the people and we need to be confident that we can feed ourself and clothe ourselves with out worry whether 21% has gone to some fat gentleman for his own use! I'm getting started now ;)

oh i definitley think you should go for it!! say nothing until you know its worth it. that my plan anyway!!

so far ive ordered a small amount of stock (to see what its like) and im gonna try sell that on to raise the money to start my stall. my plan is to do this as cheaply as i can and without any loans!!!

who told you about the 3 months grace thing by the way? id never heard of this? do the revenue actually tell you this??

Thats the spirit girl. It doesn't make economical sense to go at it like a bull, so why should ordinary joe soap get stung! If you were a company you can load all the debts onto the company and continue burning people along the way!

Thats exactly what i will do, have a small bit of stock and put the money back in as i make it.

I'm not sure where i heard that about the Revenue, i've made so many calls. I think it might have been someone who had previously set up a market themselves, so maybe give em a call, I don't want to get you into trouble. But it does sound like something they would do anyway.

Lyndako82. How are the plans coming along?

• Advertisement

so far ive gotten my small order of stock, and its fine! even though i bought it from uk (exchange rate + delivery) i can still make a good profit on it :D so i went to a local car boot sale on sunday to try raise the money for my insurance. sold just one item!!!!! :eek: but i spoke to some of the other stallholders there and they said it was a very quiet day? but to be honest, ive been there before and i know the customers who go to carbootsales, they want everything for nothing!!! ill try again next weekend anyways...... and gonna try and shift some of my stuff on family members and friends!!

so any more on your plan nevie????

Hey Lynda, apologies for not replying sooner. I'm all over the "shop". I'm close to setting up a swap shop! I'm terrified, but i'm doing it anyway! No point in waiting. Waiting for what????

The car boot sales can be tough alright. To be honest I'm hearing "its very quiet" a lot as well. These kinds of things do better in the winter i think, when theres not a lot on anyway. Lots of people seem to be gone on holidays or gone to a fair, or something. But your right, people do want things for nothing. And look at you sideways if you ask for the wrong price!!

But stick at it. If you have a product people want, you'll make it through. your starting out small, which is the way to go. I spoke to a lady in a boutique lately and she said thats the way she started out, very small, premises nothing flashy, good quality clothes and slowly worked it up. She smiled and said i now own a few premises in town whereas my other lady friends who really over did it have had to close their businesses. So there you have it. She's tucked up nicely smiling at her nest egg. Savvy!

I'm really excited about my shop. If i can get going on it. I may have managed to get a super deal on rent. I haven't thought about any other costs and i don't care. I've stressed i want a flexible lease that i can opt out of and saves everyone the hardship of dealing with solicitors and what not. All i need now is faith! Round up the family and friends to get the hangers full and off i go! Well, i suppose i better get Insurance..... Cause ya gotta have faith faith faith la la :)

aww thats great nevie! if i wasnt so far away i give you a donation myself!! :D

well im officially finished with the car boot sales after i made a 50cent profit on bank holiday monday!!! :mad:

but im delighted to annouced that i went and booked my new stall for sunday! all my stock was delivered yesterday, and one more box due today!!! im just sooo excited! and amazed at myself, i never thought id really do it!!! :cool: even got a deal form the stall owners... there gonna cover my insurance for 1st 3 months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irish Eztrends - Authorised Merchant

Hi,
    I am new to boards and adverts and would like to get some info on how best to sell my jewelry stock to market stall holders. I am in the wholesale
    end of things. Is there some where I can advertise to these people.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Ive had a stall in two different markets in the last two weeks and no one asked me about insurance, both sundays were very slow according to the other traders. If they remain slow it would be difficult to pay for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hopperob

hi all, im just wondering if i need a permit to open/start up my own indoor market (not a stall) an actual market itself?

also if i was to start up a market outdoord would i need a permit ?

thanks in advance.

Advertisement