Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Out (BJJ Preference)

• 06-07-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Sorry i know these boards can become filled with where to start out and what to do threads etc but i just have some questions to run across getting started.

I did Bushido for about 4/5 months about a year and a half ago and began to really enjoy it, unfortnately it changed location/venue to which i was unable to make the new venue and eventually just lost interest. A short time later i broke my ankle (had to have surgery) and have been off my feet for a long time, been sitting on my arse since basically.

Iv always had an interest in BJJ & MMA and would like to train and learn it. I had a friend who reccomended Colm from SpartanMMA but it appears the gym / lessons are no longer available. (Not sure if anyone here knows him)

Anyways given the previous situation im currently very unfit and looking to get fit and i like the idea of training and dedicating myself to one of these arts such as BJJ. Just wondering are there are any gyms in Dublin that take on complete novices or amateurs that wouldnt have a great level of fitness or skill?

I know its all about getting up off my arse and going but id rather start somewhere that gave new and unfit people a fighting chance? Im slowly but surely getting myself fit by doing some walking and iv since returned to playing some astro football 2-3 times a week.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

I think i speak for all clubs and say that complete beginners are always welcome. Depends on where you are based there is a clubs thread on this board. Where are you based???

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Ill have a look through that again, first flick through it i just noticed alot of fighters names wasnt sure if it was appealing to new fighters or beginners.

Im based in South Dublin but i drive , the only reason why i thought of some gyms not accepting new beginners is it might slow down other fighters, i wouldnt want to be somewhere being unfit and unskilled and slowing anyone else down.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

Most places are beginner friendly so they would have a good system for when new comers start. Also there is a good Bjj/MMA club over the southside called Next Generation so you could look that up. The head guy is Dave Jones. Hope it works out for you.

Double post edited,

Thanks ill check out that gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

Hi I have a club on the Belgard Road in Tallaght that does MMA, I used to be the assistant Coach at Spartan MMA with Colm. If you like you can come and try our gym out. We are only recently opened up so we have a lot of beginners in our gym so u are more than welcome down.

Here are our training times feel free to come down and try any of the classes we offer

Mondays at 7.30-9.15 (BJJ)
    Tuesdays 7.00-9.00 (MMA Striking)
    Wednesdays 7.30-9.15 (Wrestling)
    Saturday 12.00-2.00 (Open Mat)

If you would like any more details PM me or u can contact me on 0871212768

Best of luck

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

If you don't mind driving we're close to the M50/M1

www.balanceireland.com or www.defendu.ie

We have a 6 week BJJ Beginners course called Gracie Basics.

You can join in any Tuesday or Thursday evening and do your 6 weeks.

The class time is 7.30-8.30pm and you get 12 classes for 75 euro :)

Thanks for the reply guys! Appreciate the info, MaeveD that might be a bit out of the way but thanks alot either way!

Daniel ill give you a call thanks, just checking your website looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

another option is straight blast gym on the long mile road, 5 minute walk from the kylemore luas stop. i joined about 5 weeks ago and was in the exact same position as you, no bjj experience and relatively unfit. im lovin it and already see a difference in my fitness level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Check out www.nextgenerationireland.com if you are interested in training with us, you are more than welcome to drop down for a class and check it out. We do have specific beginner courses in case you don't want to jump straight in to regular class. We are located beside mccormacks pub in MONKSTOWN 46a drops you right outside or we have off street parking too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ill be checking each gym out then make my decision.

Going to be ordering some gear today just wondeirng if anyone had any suggestions.

Ill be getting some Shorts already got them decided on but in terms of groin guard / mouth piece any reccomendations which are good ones? Wanted to place the order today so any advice is appreciate thanks

• Advertisement

but in terms of groin guard / mouth piece any reccomendations which are good ones? Wanted to place the order today so any advice is appreciate thanks[/QUOTE]

Personally I believe that the shock doc mouth pieces are best, they give a tight fit and are reasonably priced. I believe u can get them in Elverys for 10 euro.

As for the Groin Guard I bought a muay thai one I found that they are better then the plastic ones you can get as they are tougher last longer. So better value in the long run.

Hope that helps

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

MarkJD wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ill be checking each gym out then make my decision.

Going to be ordering some gear today just wondeirng if anyone had any suggestions.

Ill be getting some Shorts already got them decided on but in terms of groin guard / mouth piece any reccomendations which are good ones? Wanted to place the order today so any advice is appreciate thanks

opro mouth guards are really good, they're going cheap in jjb sports in the square at the moment, i think around 12 euro? the opro silver is the best one

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Made my order there tonight, will be picking up some other stuff over the next few weeks. Decided i might go with NuttyBuddy for the Jock/Cup and invest in a good one. Just waiting to hear back from them.

What i did order so far is:

SPAWL FUSION Grapple Shorts: White/Camo

41152_2227792i.jpg

Shock Doctor 2.0 Gum Shield

gumshield_shock_doctor_gel_max.jpg

Just curious in what order is other gear of importance of getting first? Training gloves / pads?

I would say getting your own gloves and pads ranks pretty high. But I would wait a week or so before you purchase them, I would recommend you try your hand at a couple of the sparring classes first and see whether you enjoy them or not.

As some people only like doing the BJJ classes or the Wrestling classes and not the striking class. Also you could not be able to attend the nights the striking classes are on so it could lead to being a poor purchase.

Advertisement