Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike - attaching shoes to bike !

• 06-07-2010 5:02pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A bit of a strange request but this follows on from a discussion on the Gaelforce thread in the ART forum.

Last year I spotted a few lads who strapped on their runners to their bike with cords but I can't remember how.
    Anyone on here ever do it? Any "right" way to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i used to use these before i wen clipless many many moons ago

http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/

powergrips_content_TR.jpg

is that what they had ?

sorry completelly wrong end of the stick :o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

I'd say they were clipless cycling shoes or tri shoes. If you google triathlon transition you'll see loads on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I'm not a triathlete, but I think they use clipless cycling shoes, as paddyduc said, (or tri-specific versions with easier bindings for getting in and out quickly) and then attach a rubber band from one shoe to the bottle cage and another from the other shoe to the frame somewhere to hold the shoes horizontal just until they clear the transition area and can hop on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What he means is how to secure a pair of runners to the bike while cycling with bike shoes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What he means is how to secure a pair of runners to the bike while cycling with bike shoes on.
    Rack and panniers FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ThisRegard wrote: »

Yip thats it.

I will be using the runners for the first 2 stages of the event(s). Then when I come into the bike transition I will changing into my cycling shoes, what I was wondering is whats the best way to attach the runners to the bike :)

I will be coming off the bike again to do another section of a run, then back on the bike :)

I won't be looking to win anything or that, just whats the quickest and best way to attach the runners?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

yop wrote: »
    I will be using the runners for the first 2 stages of the event(s). Then when I come into the bike transition I will changing into my cycling shoes, what I was wondering is whats the best way to attach the runners to the bike :)
    Run in a cycling jersey and put the runners in the back pockets when you get on the bike. Or just have a cycling jersey sitting on your bike and throw it on.

Jam the shoes into one of these?
    trisports_2110_640615328

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Run in a cycling jersey and put the runners in the back pockets when you get on the bike. Or just have a cycling jersey sitting on your bike and throw it on.

Jam the shoes into one of these?
    trisports_2110_640615328

Thanks for the suggestion, my "bike bag" with my tubes and tools are behind the saddle.
    I would be reluctant to put them into my cycling top as they will be wet from the cross country run / kayak.

I will also have a rucksack on my back.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

yop wrote: »
    I will also have a rucksack on my back.

Thanks
    That answers your question. Is there any other reason for the rucksack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

That answers your question. Is there any other reason for the rucksack?

I would imagine to have a towel and a change of socks (or two), or probably to carry all the mandatory kit. Did a similar race in Wicklow earlier in the year and there was a load of stuff we had to have at all times like waterproofs, a survival bag & first aid kit, and for me the aforementioned towel and socks :D OP's bag is probably not big enough for shoes though, mine was and it was a right pain in the arse running with it, everyone else had tiny little bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

mfdc wrote: »
    I would imagine to have a towel and a change of socks (or two), or probably to carry all the mandatory kit. Did a similar race in Wicklow earlier in the year and there was a load of stuff we had to have at all times like waterproofs, a survival bag & first aid kit, and for me the aforementioned towel and socks :D OP's bag is probably not big enough for shoes though, mine was and it was a right pain in the arse running with it, everyone else had tiny little bags.

So cycle camping is a timed sport these days? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

el tel wrote: »
    So cycle camping is a timed sport these days? :p

God I wish, would have been much easier than adventure racing. Never been up a mountain slower than the slog of a "run" up Djouce with my massive backpack. I like the sound of timed cycle camping... a spot of tea and a nap would have been much preferable.

Advertisement