Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweights in Ireland

• 06-07-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I've been training for a little while now in MMA and what I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be many (if any) heavyweight bouts taking place in Ireland. Ideally after sufficient training I'd like to compete and fight at heavyweight. I'm 6" 3 and usually weigh about 120kg so theres absolutely no way I could drop to LH! Any reason why there isn't any HW bouts around? There seems to be quite a few bigger lads training in it. Do they just not want to compete?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I was at a show at the weekend in warrenpoint with 2 heavy weight bouts on the card.

Admittedly though they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

I was at a show at the weekend in warrenpoint with 2 heavy weight bouts on the card.

Admittedly though they are few and far between.

2 is far better than none though it's really good to hear. Hopefully there's a lot more on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

There is two heavyweight bouts taken place at the Xtreme Cage Combat “Armed Evolution” event taken place Saturday July 31st at the Limerick Concert Hall.

Heavyweight 93kg
    Mark Brophey (CSC) vs Zbynek Pistek (KTP)

Heavyweight 95kg
    Eoin Franklin (CSC) vs Paul Burne (BTTMMA)

Credit: http://fighthounds.com/mma/xtreme-cage-combat-armed-evolution-updated-fight-card/

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Very true.Im LHW And 15 so i dont think theres many in the league i could compete with

There is two heavyweight bouts taken place at the Xtreme Cage Combat “Armed Evolution” event taken place Saturday July 31st at the Limerick Concert Hall.

Heavyweight 93kg
    Mark Brophey (CSC) vs Zbynek Pistek (KTP)

Heavyweight 95kg
    Eoin Franklin (CSC) vs Paul Burne (BTTMMA)

Credit: http://fighthounds.com/mma/xtreme-cage-combat-armed-evolution-updated-fight-card/

Wow again thats great. Do you know if its catchweight? IMO 93/95 is quite small for heavyweights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Wow again thats great. Do you know if its catchweight? IMO 93/95 is quite small for heavyweights.

True beacause usually HW Is 95KG +
    and LHW Is 95 -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

All the heavier athletes are playing rugby, they're snapped up at a young age so you won't see many big guys elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    True beacause usually HW Is 95KG +
    and LHW Is 95 -

i thought heavyweight was plus 93kg, it would be good to see more hw fights but they can be a bit boring at times

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Mark Leitch (sp) Red Dragon
    Ryan Boyd, IMMA
    Niall Houstin, PCCB
    Karl Moore, PCCB
    Billy Hunter, Chum sut
    Andy Tompson, Next gen??? i think
    Sean Crowe, PCCB
    Robert Mc Trusty, ??

these guys are all from the north of ireland, i dont know much about the guys from the south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

On the Rumble in Rush 4 in august i have a Heavyweight fight and 2 light heavy fights also, Heavy is 93+ and Light heavy is -93kg

i would have 2 more heavies only for 2 lads getting injured.. so there is a few knocking about.

there are some and when they start getting a fight or 2 we might end up with a few, but overall we're a small enough race of people!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

will heffernan walks around 120 i think and is fighting at 92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Is this true? Fair play to him if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wow, thats some cut.

I'm 120kgs and look like death if I get anywhere close to 100kgs, but a few chicken curry's and Coke's usually see me right :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

No Will walks around at 100 maths boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Sorry...that is my fault. I was saying in that other thread that I was a 120kg man trying to fit into a 92kg fighters body...as a joke.

In the last 2 years I've been as heavy as 140kg....and it wasn't pretty. As Barry said...since I've been at IP and involved in competing I've hovered around 100-105kg...still not pretty but not as ugly as 140.

In good shape...I am under 100kg so pushing for 92kg to fight with good training isn't that big a problem.

cowzerp wrote: »
    On the Rumble in Rush 4 in august i have a Heavyweight fight and 2 light heavy fights also, Heavy is 93+ and Light heavy is -93kg

i would have 2 more heavies only for 2 lads getting injured.. so there is a few knocking about.

there are some and when they start getting a fight or 2 we might end up with a few, but overall we're a small enough race of people!

Wow sounds good I'll have to check it out. I do understand that we're a small enough race alright but I just would have expected to see more than there is fighting. Hopefully we'll start to see more though.

"The Irish are a small enough race"

That's a fallacy guys, go to any rugby club and you'll see plenty of heavyweight category Irishmen.

_oveless wrote: »
    "The Irish are a small enough race"

That's a fallacy guys, go to any rugby club and you'll see plenty of heavyweight category Irishmen.

No it's not, no 1 said all Irish are small, as a race our average height would be small, that does not mean we dont have a few 7 footers knocking about, i'm 5'7" and never feel that short and regularly see way shorter people to me, i reckon our average height is about 5-8" or 9"-if i lived in Russia, spain America i would feel like a shorty..

cowzerp wrote: »
    No it's not, no 1 said all Irish are small, as a race our average height would be small, that does not mean we dont have a few 7 footers knocking about, i'm 5'7" and never feel that short and regularly see way shorter people to me, i reckon our average height is about 5-8" or 9"-if i lived in Russia, spain America i would feel like a shorty..

Average height is about the same everywhere, large people make up a small percentage of any population. If you look at America the amount of large athletes playing football/basketball and combat sports is still just a tiny fraction of the population, there's about the same percentage of heavyweight class people here, they're just mostly playing rugby and to a lesser extent gaa.

Average height is about the same everywhere, large people make up a small percentage of any population. If you look at America the amount of large athletes playing football/basketball and combat sports is still just a tiny fraction of the population, there's about the same percentage of heavyweight class people here, they're just mostly playing rugby and to a lesser extent gaa.

where i live there is no rugby, i dont even know a rugby player so thats not true-also in the local GAA team there not big by any means, just like the rest of the population-guess what i know hundreds if not thousands of people and im basing my assumption on that, also my town has lots of eastern europeans in it and there huge, tall and built mostly-maybe only the big ones leave there homes!

• Advertisement

, i'm 5'7" and never feel that short and regularly see way shorter people to me,

midgets and children don't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'll see you a unreferenced quote and I'll raise you an unsubstantiated statistic.

As far as I know, the average height in Nordic Countries - Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark is higher for adult male than Ireland. I would also assume, in certain African countries, the average height and mass of an adult male is higher.

I think there are a number of factors causing the 'lack of irish heavy weights'

1. Naturally 100kg guys are a lot rarer than naturally 70kg guys
    2. Naturally 100kg athletic guys are already committed to other sports
    3. The stakes are higher at 100kg, knock outs at the highest weights are more frequent than at the middle weights (at least i think this is true)
    4. Big guys,( with some exceptions) struggle to get good technically.

The lack of heavy weights is not unique to MMA.

I fight +100kgs in Judo and could safely say I'd count on one hand the lads above that weight who I'd meet in regular competition.

Where as those in the lower weights regularly competing would be multiplied that by ten fold.

The percentage of heavyweight fighters worldwide is smaller than that of lighter weights, the majority of people that size compete in other more mainstream/better paying sports. Ireland is no different.

1. Naturally 100kg guys are a lot rarer than naturally 70kg guys
    2. Naturally 100kg athletic guys are already committed to other sports

That's what I've been saying.

anyone over 100 kg is too lazy to train :p

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Menace2Society

There's also Radek from Chum Sut

anyone over 100 kg is too lazy to train :p

Remember that time, years ago when we were all training in Finglas.

You were dieting for a fight, and I caught you in Burdocks!.

Remember that time, years ago when we were all training in Finglas.

You were dieting for a fight, and I caught you in Burdocks!.

i was getting chips for my girlfriend,
    shes a fat fukk, not me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

Far as I know the average male height in ireland (over 18 years) is 5'9.5" which is above world average but below European average.

Advertisement