Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asahi????

Options
  • 06-07-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Anyone know an offlicence that sells this.... or even a pub.

Was in Japan this year and I developed a serious taste for it, has anyone else tried it for that matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I've seen Asahi 'Super Dry' in quite a few off-licenses, particularly those that place importance on a wide selection of beers (e.g. Redmond's in Ranelagh, Carvill's on Camden St.).

I've never seen any of the other Asahi brews in Ireland, unfortunately (Super Dry is far from the best; more like a Japanese Budweiser).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

You can get it in many good off licences. O'Briens usually have it and sometimes Superquinn do.

You won't like it though....it is brewed under licence in the UK and nothing special about it at all.

Funny enough, I saw it in a supermarket in the US last year and it was the real thing imported from Japan. But in Europe, as far as I can tell, it all comes from the UK. You'd be better off with Tiger.

I don't think I have ever seen it in a pub here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 asahi

I can't help you, but I felt I should post on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Widget72

Noreast are the agents for it in Ireland,I am open to correction but I think it's available for sale in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

I've gotten it in Redmonds in Ranelagh before so i'd try there.....it's good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Superquinn do it now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sadly, as others have pointed out, it's not the same as you've drank in Japan and you'll be in for a disappointment. Asahi over here isn't exactly bad, it's quite a nice lager and I've often drank it before, but it's just not the same.

The domestic beers in Japan are very good, I'd love to taste some Suntory Malts again. That stuff was amazing.

The domestic beers in Japan are very good
    Had the three Hitachino Nest beers in Yamamori last night: very good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Todd Gack wrote: »
    I've gotten it in Redmonds in Ranelagh before so i'd try there.....it's good stuff.

You went to Redmonds and walked out with Asahi? how?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Yes, u got to watch out for that, beers brewed in different countries. Reminds me of that coors light ad where it says in white writing at the bottom...brewed in Colorado and ireland' - i bet you all the crap we get is brewed in ireland.

Its the same with stella artois which is a nice 5% lunch beer in Belgium, fresh and tasty. But the **** we get is brewed in England.

Speaking of Asahi , anybody know where you can get YEBISU? Its a japanese beer.

• Advertisement

i bet you all the crap we get is brewed in ireland.
    Yep: the Murphy Brewery in Cork.
    stella artois which is a nice 5% lunch beer in Belgium, fresh and tasty.
    They've downgraded the Belgian recipe to match the UK one, so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

FruitLover wrote: »
    I've seen Asahi 'Super Dry' in quite a few off-licenses, particularly those that place importance on a wide selection of beers (e.g. Redmond's in Ranelagh, Carvill's on Camden St.).

I've never seen any of the other Asahi brews in Ireland, unfortunately (Super Dry is far from the best; more like a Japanese Budweiser).

>Super Dry is far from the best; more like a Japanese Budweiser

You what now... are you getting confused with haposhu there in tokyo-to?

Asahi super-dry is a fine beer, just not here (almost a haiku there, but not really).

But back on topic - Asahi is a no-no in Ireland. Over here best I've found is Kirin-ichiban, almost always imported from Japan, rarely a UK brew like the Asahi or Sapporo. Hard to find though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Flyer28 wrote: »
    You can get it in many good off licences. O'Briens usually have it and sometimes Superquinn do..

To add to same; I seen it in Superquinn in 500ML bottles today priced at €2.69.

Advertisement