Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barred from a shop for being a "black magician"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I would have deepened my voice and said "Only the power of christ can compel me to leave foolish human female"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

rubadub wrote: »
    This is consumer alerts, everybody knows it can only be tesco!

Yep, only a matter of time til the anti-English brigade come on and tell the OP to shop in an Irish store in future.... cos, you know, Irish stores are soooo much better run, look at all the I Love Dunnes threads, right..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CrazySnakeLady

rubadub wrote: »
    This is consumer alerts, everybody knows it can only be tesco!

They did see it and they also saw this bit

1. You're consciously or unconsciously doing black magic.

Which begs the question what led them to that conclusion in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Her aura, also mentioned in the op....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Merely possessing the wrong aura seemed enough for her.
    Crosswalk wrote: »
    the shopkeeper called us to the counter and told us that we would have to leave because we had "negative energy in our auras" or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

Nolimits wrote: »
    Her aura, also mentioned in the op....

So wait, lets put this into perspective, the OP has implied they are a practioner of "Black magic", the shop they were barred from they were barred for "a bad aura" I assume because they look/dress like someone that practices black magic. So now we have one person that thinks they talk to the devil and another that thinks the are fighting the forces of evil, I'm sorry but they are all delusional, both the OP and the shop keeper and all this aura crap does nothing but make them sound like nutters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ah name the shop. Let some of us have a bit of fun too and see if we get thrown out for the same reason.

And if it is a marketing ploy then it is a pretty original one so they deserve some kudos:pac:

Although, I suspect it might be a good idea to stop shopping in Holland & Barrett with your full length hooded cloak and magic stick outfit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So wait, lets put this into perspective, the OP has implied they are a practioner of "Black magic",

Where did you get that from??

Are you the owner of the shop???:p

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

So wait, lets put this into perspective, the OP has implied they are a practioner of "Black magic", the shop they were barred from they were barred for "a bad aura" I assume because they look/dress like someone that practices black magic. So now we have one person that thinks they talk to the devil and another that thinks the are fighting the forces of evil, I'm sorry but they are all delusional, both the OP and the shop keeper and all this aura crap does nothing but make them sound like nutters

I'm in no way a "black magician" or believe in any kind of magical mumbo jumbo. I put that in the thread title because the shopkeeper implied that I was a black magician and that was the reason I was barred from the shop - not because I actually am a black magician and the shopkeeper was able to recognize that. The shopkeeper also implied that I was abused as a child and that I was "mentally unstable" something that I know is definitely untrue. I don't think I have a direct line to the devil either. :P I am a perfectly normal person barred from a shop because the shopkeeper assumed that I was a black magician despite the fact that I don't believe in any of that stuff or look like a black magic practitioner imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Things to do...

Go back to the shop and say that you had a bath and your aura is clean now.
    Post them a fake court summons cutting defamation of character or even better get a real solicitors letter threatening legal action for defamation if you don't receive an apology

• Advertisement

I'm in no way a "black magician" or believe in any kind of magical mumbo jumbo. I put that in the thread title because the shopkeeper implied that I was a black magician and that was the reason I was barred from the shop - not because I actually am a black magician and the shopkeeper was able to recognize that. The shopkeeper also implied that I was abused as a child and that I was "mentally unstable" something that I know is definitely untrue. I don't think I have a direct line to the devil either. :P I am a perfectly normal person barred from a shop because the shopkeeper assumed that I was a black magician despite the fact that I don't believe in any of that stuff or look like a black magic practitioner imo.
    Things to do...

Go back to the shop and say that you had a bath and your aura is clean now.
    Post them a fake court summons cutting defamation of character or even better get a real solicitors letter threatening legal action for defamation if you don't receive an apology

What he said ^^

They can't discriminate like that OP, it'd be like barring someone from a shop for being coloured, they claim enlightenment and love but practice hate, if you did nothing wrong they have no reason to ask you to leave unless their reasons were biast and based on a stereotype of how you dress or act but how you dress or act is your business not theirs so they have no right to judge you considering the image they they try to convey with their shop is that they love everyone, if I was you I'd tear them apart in court until I get an apology and teach them a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

back in and complain but this time leave the cat and broomstick behind
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

What he said ^^

They can't discriminate like that OP, it'd be like barring someone from a shop for being coloured, they claim enlightenment and love but practice hate, if you did nothing wrong they have no reason to ask you to leave unless their reasons were biast and based on a stereotype of how you dress or act but how you dress or act is your business not theirs so they have no right to judge you considering the image they they try to convey with their shop is that they love everyone, if I was you I'd tear them apart in court until I get an apology and teach them a lesson

but then they'll curse you and you'll be in a 'Drag me to hell' type scenario :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

DeVore wrote: »
    There is a serious question here, can a shop owner bar entry on this basis? Isnt there something about public houses having to admit people except under certain circumstances... (I remember something about barring travellers). Interesting question basically...

Yeah i think you might be referring to The Equal Status Act?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0008/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP, please PM the name of the shop, and it's location, so i may visit it with at least 3 fellow metallers dressed in black. Freak the b|tch out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Right - I appreciate this is quite amusing - but there is a genuine issue here.

Did the shopowner have the right to ask this customer to leave? Can we focus on answering that question?

Any further off-topic comments will not be appreciated.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

dudara wrote: »
    Did the shopowner have the right to ask this customer to leave?

As crazy as the shop owner sounds, they have a right to refuse admission. Even if it is for imaginary reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nightclubs do it all the time, no white runners.

No specific reason for it, just that they don't want you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As far as I am aware there are only a few protected areas where one cannot discriminate e.g race, marital status, age (though car insurance companies and pubs that have "strictly over 25" or such are exempt because thats good discrimination :rolleyes:) etc.

Though it does open a loophole..(HYPOTHETICAL) I work in a bar and if a traveller came in could I refuse him based on his "aura"? How can he prove he doesnt have negative energy when it doesnt actually exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Though it does open a loophole..(HYPOTHETICAL) I work in a bar and if a traveller came in could I refuse him based on his "aura"? How can he prove he doesnt have negative energy when it doesnt actually exist?

How can he prove he has a 'good' aura? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

This just sounds like a marketing strategy for the shop tbh.

They expect the people they hand thus stuff to will go about showing everybody they know this crazy list. And then people that are into that crazy stuff that you know will be intrigued and go visit.

That's what the shop is hoping anyway.

Kind of clever if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

ShooterSF wrote: »
    As far as I am aware there are only a few protected areas where one cannot discriminate e.g race, marital status, age (though car insurance companies and pubs that have "strictly over 25" or such are exempt because thats good discrimination :rolleyes:) etc.

Seeing as I don't believe in that aura stuff, I think she may have barred me because of the way I dress. When I went into the shop I was wearing a leather jacket and combat boots so she may have saw this, thought I was a person who would fit the biker/metalhead stereotype and just assumed I had a "bad aura" and practiced black magic.

It's actually pretty clever of her to say she's barring people for having bad energies. That way she doesn't get accused of more serious discrimination and can pick and choose who she'll allow in without being called racist/ageist/narrow-minded etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

koHd wrote: »
    This just sounds like a marketing strategy for the shop tbh.

They expect the people they hand thus stuff to will go about showing everybody they know this crazy list. And then people that are into that crazy stuff that you know will be intrigued and go visit.

That's what the shop is hoping anyway.

Kind of clever if it works.

4 pages and counting of discussion here would seem to suggest it has worked ;)

Well it would have worked if we knew the shop :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Meh; chalk it up to experience as they most likely have the right to ban you for it.

i think under european i think they can't bar you for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bob Z wrote: »
    i think under european i think they can't bar you for no reason

They did ... they said he was practising black magic.

If they barred him becuase he was black that would be a different story.

They did ... they said he was practising black magic.

If they barred him becuase he was black that would be a different story.

Well its not exactly a good reason though is it?

OP i would have a word with the Practising Magicians Against Defamation(PMAD) They will help you fight this and inform you of your rights

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

This happened to someone I know around 2 years ago. I wonder if it couldve been the same shop. In this case it was a rather posh middle aged lady who was told that her burried childhood traumas could not be tollerated and she was turfed out!

Don't think there's anything you can do but pity the store owner OP. I doubt your missing much by not starting a collection of expensive stones or mini buddha statues! It'll make for a good story someday. Think how you'll now either delight or worry emos when they hear it:)

Today my friend and I went into a small spiritual and holistic-healing shop - you know, the type with stones, incense and Buddha statues etc. Within a few seconds of being there, the shopkeeper called us to the counter and told us that we would have to leave because we had "negative energy in our auras" or something along those lines. She handed us a sheet with "You are being barred from the shop __________ for one or all of the following reasons".

These were some of the reasons given:

It also went on to say that:

At the end it states:

Myself and my friend were not acting suspiciously. We were in the shop for merely a few seconds before the shopkeeper called us to the counter. Although it's kind of amusing, someone not quite as easy-going might find it very offensive. I'm just wondering is this actually legal?

OP She gave you a sheet which was already typed out? Did they just pick you at random or do they do it to everyone coming into the shop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Sue Rocks

shame on you for having a filthy aura ha ha its so ridiculous that its hilarious

Advertisement