Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a start point for Mweelrea from the West

Options
  • 06-07-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Planning on doing Mweelrea Saturday, maybe Sunday if the weather will be better then. I want to go up from the Western side, but I'm unsure of my starting point. I know there is access trouble somewhere near Uggool. I've heard there's an access path by a stream around Dadreen, is this correct? Would someone have a grid ref for me (someone who's actually done it please).

I've done the ridge before so may do a car split and come down over Doo Lough, or just backtrack, unsure yet.

Help with the starting point from the West appreciated.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Haven't been there myself, but as it happens I was looking at the MountainViews newsletter from my email inbox just now and there was a new entry for just this on the Mweelrea page at http://www.mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=34&findpage=true&user=mvuser&tp=ykqxfqtd#C5902 The new post starts at a "pink house" quite a bit to the NW and comes down by Uggool, while 2 other post on the page go up from one point or the other. As mentioned in the posts the Uggool beach/area access situation is apparently not very, ahem, straightforward - something I've seen mentioned elsewhere! Let us know how you get on if you do similar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yeah I've checked out that site a few times and saw that, let's hope they kept the colour eh lol. I think I may have figured out where the path by the stream is, don't have my map to hand now as I'm away. Looks pretty straightforward route up into the coll and then to where ever we decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

+1 nomdeboardie

That website, mountainviews.ie is a super resource. Lots of ppl there more than willing to offer advice....

Advertisement