Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating Hard-Drive

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've almost finished my build, I've it working nicely, I would almost say perfectly, my 5.9 isn't good enough on the WEI for me so I've gone ahead and gotten a SSD to put in there, I don't think I could face havn't to reinstall everything onto my C drive again, so what I'm looking for is a nice (free) app that'll allow me to take an image of the C drive, put in the replacement drive and put the image back on there.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even in Win7 the WEI is about as much use as a chocolate teapot in gauging anything. You only need an SSD if 1) You have cash to burn and 2) You really are being driven up the wall by the load times of certain apps (mostly Witcher, ArmA2 IIRC and of course your OS!).

And regarding your question there's a buttload of good payware alternatives but as for free ones I think EASEUS Partition Manager Pro (Home Edition - the free version) can move/clone physical as well as logical drives. I've had good experiences with it back when mucking about with the Win7 Beta and RC... :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nice one, cheers Solitaire, I've gotten the drive already so I might as well use it as I have it :) As I said I've everything configured/installed the way I want it so I don't want to have to go install everything. I've 6 x 2TB drives in there, 1 for OS, 1 for Programs, 1 for Music, 1 for Videos, 1 for junk and 1 for RAID config, I'm going to swop the OS 1 and use that for just and get the RAID back up then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I should have pointed out that I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, doesn't look like the free version supports 64 bit :(

Advertisement