Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 30 Lost Best Scenes

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

That was my number 1 scene, surprised it didn't get at least 2nd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

A powerful conclusion to a classic episode. While The Constant as a whole is deservedly praised by fans, I would argue that the whole episode hangs on the effectiveness of this scene. Whatever plot niggles or credibility issues one might have with the episode are almost instantly swept away by what an emotionally moving scene this is.

The writing is great, of course, but a lot of the credit for this scene should go to the actors and the editor. For an actor, a phone-call conversation can't be all that different to talking to an imaginary cgi character. The two sides of the phone conversation are shot separately and the actors usually don't meet. The other side's lines are read out by a bored script supervisor or directing assistant. But despite the challenges of this, both of the actors in this scene are incredible.

The editing is also brilliant. Some of it might have been in the script, but the end of the conversation with the overlapping dialogue and "I love yous" seems like something that was created in the editing room. The final shot of Penny looks like it was reused from earlier in the scene. Also, the cuts become faster as the phone line dies. Some really inspired editing.

And Giacchino shines as always.

I seem to recall Darlton saying in the DVD commentary that the guy who edited it put the scene together, as it was broadcast, on the first draft.
    You're absolutely right though, the to and fro at the end is so incredibly well done.

For just a guest star who didn't make that many appearances Sonya Walger deserves an huge amount of praise for how much she brought to the show. A love story is as over-used as it gets but her and Cusick had a way of lifting above that and totally drawing you in.

For once my placing matched the general consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It was the only scene voted on by everyone who did the list!

I actually had it quite low in comparison to most but it's worthy of a top 3 spot now that i think about it.. great scene

oh forgot to mention, I'm going to post the final 2 scenes tomorrow.. probably within minutes of each other. I assume most people know what scenes are involved at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the last two are pretty obvious alright. :D

I was pretty certain I knew what would be number 1 but I'm actually, now, not sure which scene will win it.

• Advertisement

Number 2
    Jack3x23.jpg
    "We Have to go Back"

Episode 3x22/23: Through the Looking Glass

In his messy apartment, full of dirty dishes maps and atlases, and empty bottles Jack is propped up against a wall sitting on the floor. He is swigging from a bottle of tequila. He finally reaches the person he has been desperately calling. He convinces this them to meet him at the airport, adding "you know where."

Number 1
    6x17TheEnd.png
    Jack's Death/Church Reunion

Episode 6x17: The End

Jack awakens in the creek outside of the Source. Knowing that his life is ending, he slowly finds his way back to the bamboo grove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

For me over all the seasons and all the twists and turns the number one scene there is my number one overall it was honestly the most moving scene never mind finale of any tv show i have ever watched.

Fair play tok for doin all this work, reckon its cool to share the lists now so here is mine

1 Jack and vincents final scene (Jacks death scene)

2 Locke being in the coffin

3 Jack "we have to go back"

4 Locke and the light from the hatch

5 Charlie and desmond "not pennys boat"

6 Michael killing ana lucia and libby

7 Finding out locke was MIB

8 Finding out eko wasnt the man of God we thought (his brother etc)

9 Locke going flyin out the window at the hands of his father

10 Locke wiggling his toes on the beach

11 Ben kills locke

12 Young ben getting shot by sayid

13 Locke "I was wrong"

14 Locke "I hope someone does for you, what you just did for me"

15 Keamy shoots alex in front of ben

16 Mib and jacob on the beach "do you have any idea how much i want to kill you"

17 Ben moves the island

18 Nikki and paulo burial scene (her eyes open they are paralysed but still alive)

19 Jack cutting bens kidney sack so kate can escape

20 Desmond and penny finally speak (the constant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Here's my top 20:

01. Desmond Penny phone call
    02. Jack and Kate ‘We have to go back’
    03. Ben and Locke in Jacob’s cabin
    04. Locke sees the blast door map
    05. Jacob and Man in Black scene, season 5 finale
    06. Jack and Richard dynamite scene
    07. Sayid knows Henry Gale is an Other
    08. Sun and Jin ‘remember’ in the series finale
    09. Smoke monster crashes up against the sonar fence
    10. Locke tells Ben he is going to kill Jacob
    11. Locke doesn’t push the button
    12. Ben turns the frozen donkey wheel
    13. Smoke monster scans Mr Eko
    14. Keamy kills Alex
    15. Locke is in the coffin
    16. Michael shoots Ana Lucia and Libby
    17. Christian and Jack in the church, series finale
    18. Mr Friendly: ‘This is our island’
    19. Ben kills Locke
    20. Hurley, Charlie, Jin and Sawyer in the Dharma van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shezmagic

First of all many thanks to tok9 for taking the time to organize this.

On the list itself I am glad that the final scene of all earns the top spot. As a big Jack fan it was an incredibly powerful way to conclude an epic 6-year journey. The number two scene "we have to go back" was incredible tv drama and a real game-changer in a show that continually moved the viewer on an emotional and intellectual level. Unfortunately it was slightly down on my list....because I stupidly allowed myself to be spoilt for the twist dialogue a week or to in advance. D'oh. :( I immediately learnt the lesson thereafter of avoiding spoilers.

For what it is worth, here was my list.....

20. Locke reveal in the coffin (There’s No Place Like Home – Part 3)
    19. Jack’s “Live together, die alone” speech (White Rabbit)
    18. Jack and Sawyer conversation on Christian Shepherd (Exodus – Part 1)
    17. Charlie drowns in The Looking Glass (Through The Looking Glass – Part 2)
    16. Hurley and Charlie jump-start the Dharma Van (Tricia Tanaka Is Dead)
    15. Claire show’s off new-born Aaron to the Losties on the beach - Jack tells Shannon that Boone has died (Do No Harm)
    14. Jacob and MiB conversation on the beach (The Incident – Part 1)
    13. Ben, Jack and Locke at the hatch – Ben discusses his map plan - “You guys got any milk?” (The Whole Truth)
    12. Jack opens his eye – wanders to the plane crash site (The Pilot – Part 1)
    11. Locke reveal in the wheel-chair – “Don’t tell me what I can’t do” (Walkabout)
    10. Jack and Hurley – “It’s supposed to be you” - Hurley becomes the new Jacob (The End)
    9. Jack and Locke argue over typing the numbers – “It has never been easy” (Orientation)
    8. Losties board Oceanic 815 in flashback – Jack and Locke stare down the hatch (Exodus – Part 2)
    7. Jack and Kate flash-forward scene at the airport – “We have to go back” (Through The Looking Glass – Part 2)
    6. Jack and Locke conversation – “We were brought here for a reason” , “Do you really think all of this is an accident?” (Exodus – Part 2)
    5. Jack and Kate save Charlie in the jungle (All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues)
    4. Desmond and Penny phone call (The Constant)
    3. The launching of the raft (Exodus – Part 1)
    2. Locke wakes up in hospital after his kidney operation – drives to his father’s house – cries over the Hatch “Why did you do this to me?” (Deus Ex Machina)
    1. Jack wanders through the bamboo forest – church scenes – Vincent arrives by his side before Jack dies (The End)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I really thought that 'We have to go back' was going to be number one, but it was a good list overall. Fair play to tok for all the sorting, counting, and posting. This was my top 20:

1. Pilot opening scene - Jack wakes up and starts saving everyone.

2. 'We have to go back!' - Introduction of the flashforward.

3. Jack's death.

4. The raft sets sail.

5. Season 2 opener - Des inside the hatch.

6. The Desmond/Penny phonecall.

7. Charlie's death - 'Not Penny's boat'.

8. Desmond turns the failsafe key.

9. The hieroglyphs appear on the hatch countdown timer.

10. Locke is still dead / There are two John Locke's.

11. Locke is in the coffin.

12. Season 3 opener - The crash from the Others' perspective

13. Ethan Rom wasn't on the plane.

14. Henry Gale wants milk.

15. Locke bangs on the hatch door and the light comes on.

16. Locke is in a wheelchair!

17. Michael shoots Ana Lucia and Libby, and then releases Henry Gale.

18. Sawyer tells Jack about meeting Christian Shephard in Australia.

19. Ben kills Jacob.

20. Jack pushes Flocke into the water, 'John Locke told me I needed to stay'.

First off, credit to Tok for putting this together.

Here is my list.

1: Flashforward reveal - Through the looking glass
    2: Locke wheelchair reveal - Walkabout
    3: Phonecall in The Constant
    4: Jack dies and church reunion - The End
    5: Opening of the Incident with Jacob and Man in black panning out to reveal the statue
    6: Jack finally reunites with Christian who reveals the truth of the afterlife - The End
    7: John Lockes true identity is revealed and Ben kills Jacob - The Incident
    8: Ben moves the Frozen donkey wheel - There is no place like home
    9: Locke is in the coffin - There is no place like home
    10: Juliet falls down the hole - The Incident
    11: Juliet detonates the bomb - The Incident
    12: Ben kills Locke - The Life and death of Jeremy bentham
    13: Final scene of season 1 which shows everyone boarding Oceanic 815 and the opening of the hatch - Exodus
    14: Charlie dies - Through the looking glass
    15: Ben "Got some milk" - The whole truth
    16: Sun and Jin die on the submarine - The candidiate
    17: Keamy kills Alix - The shape of things to come
    18: The opening scene of season 2 where the hatch is revealed - Man of science, Man of faith
    19: EVeryone sees Aaron/ jack tells Shannon boone has died - Do no harm
    20: Locke finds out he has been conned by his dad while also banging on the hatch when the light is turned on - Deus ex Machina

At least it was my list on the day I submitted it. I got to say after going through the 30 scenes if I was to put it together today it would be looking quite a lot different.

Thanks lads. I have to say enjoyed making the top 30 so it was absolutely no hassle doing it at all. Thanks to everyone for contributing in the top 30 and for contributing to the thread.

I'm was delighted to see The final scene getting the number 1. It was the perfect way to end the show imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Amazingly the "we have to go back flashforward reveal" scene didn't even rank on my top 20 list - quite a few of mine didn't make it at all and I really thought they would've...
    Anyway, it was great to have this, so cheers tok9...
    And here's my top 20 list...

20. Sawyer kills the Polar Bear
    19. Arzt blows himself up
    18. Season 3 opener – book club/oceanic crash
    17. Sawyer jumps from the helicopter
    16. Jin and Sun drown
    15. Freighter blows up
    14. Jack wakes up in the jungle and runs towards the beach and we see the flight wreckage (pilot opener)
    13. Nikki and Paulo buried alive
    12. Jack tells Sawyer not to touch the dynamite and they’ll be fine, Sawyer doesn’t listen and Sayid sacrifices himself to save the rest
    11. Jack and Richard with the Dynamite
    10. Season 2 opening scene – inside the hatch
    9. Sawyer tries to pull Juliet to safety, but she gets dragged down into the hole
    8. Hurley tries to explain the events of the island to his mother
    7. Locke in a wheelchair reveal
    6. Jack dies with Vincent by his side
    5. Sawyer and Juliet are reunited in the finale
    4. Eko confronts Yemi/Black Smoke and is killed
    3. Locke forgives Ben for killing him outside the church in the finale
    2. Desmond speaks to Penny via the phone on the Freighter
    1. Charlie Dies/Not Penny’s Boat

The Boards Top 30 Lost Scenes

30 Juliet Falls
    29 Henry Gale "You got Milk"
    28 Locke "Remembers"
    27 Ben & Locke outside the church
    26 The Others take Walt
    25 Ethan wasn't on the Plane
    24 Keamy Kills Alex
    23 Ben turns the wheel
    22 S3 Opener - Book club / Oceanic Crash
    21 Locke thrown out the Window
    20 Sawyer reveals he met Christian to Jack
    19 Michael Kills Ana Lucia & Libby
    18 Jack saves Charlie
    17 Raft sets Sail
    16 Jack & Richard with the Dynamite
    15 Jack & Locke “We were brought here for a reason"
    14 S2 Opener- Hatch Introduction
    13 Boarding Oceanic 815/Jack and Locke Look Down the Hatch
    12 Hurley and Co Jump Start the Van
    11 Jack And Locke Argue About Pushing The Button

10 Locke is in the Coffin
    9 Jacob & MIB on the Beach
    8 Desmond uses the Failsafe
    7 Locke Banging on the Hatch
    6 Oceanic 815 Wreckage
    5 Charlie Drowns
    4 Locke was in a Wheelchair
    3 Des and Penny Phone call
    2 "We Have to go back"
    1 Jack's Death/Church Reunion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

My Top 30 :)

1. The final scene
    2. "We have to go back"
    3. Season 2 opener with Des make your own kind of music
    4. Des and Penny phonecall in "The Constant"
    5.Book club scene cutting to crash reveal in s3 opener
    6. "I think I crashed your plane brother"
    7. Locke at the end of Walkabout - wheelchair reveal
    8 Locke Banging on the Hatch
    9. Season 1 ending looking down the hatch
    10. Smokey and Ben scene s06e01 "I want to go home"
    11.Jacob and Smokey on the beach "The Incident"
    12. Ben and Locke chat outside church
    13. Jack pushing the button "It's never been easy"
    14. The scene where Hurley gets the van working in "Tricia Tanaka is dead"
    15. Locke remembering in the hospital
    16. Michael killing Ana Lucia and Libby
    17. "We're gonna have to take the boy"
    18.Charlie's greatest hits speech
    19. "Henry Gale's" scene about if he was an Other
    20. Season 6 opener with the island underwater reveal

Anyone who didn't have the flashforward reveal is just wrong!

cooker3 wrote: »
    Anyone who didn't have the flashforward reveal is just wrong!

I didn't.. I just don't have a massive attachment to that scene.

I can genuinely say I've always liked Lost for the characters. Now I'm not saying I didn't care about the mysteries because I did and the show wouldn't have lasted without them (then again that can be said for the characters too). It was an excellent scene but If I had to pick a scene from the flashforward part of the S3 finale I'd be stuck between when Jack is about to jump off the bridge and when he is in the Hospital all angry and depressed.

Just my preference...

The greatest scene of Lost for me will probably always be Locke in a wheelchair. It's just epic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I headed off from the Lost forum on boards after The End, had said my piece, debated with everyone, and was happy. I only returned this morning to comment on The New Man In Charge, and spotted this thread. Lads, I have to say fair play on compiling the lists, I had a nice stroll down memory lane going through them.. gutted I didn't have the chance to put together a list of my own. For what it's worth, Locke in the wheelchair in Walkabout wins it for me. (close 2nd place for the banging on the hatch). Highly emotive scenes and scored masterfully by Giachinno.

I wonder could we have this stickied?

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I wonder could we have this stickied?

Bump!

No chance of it being stickied so? After putting all the work into it I don't want to see the thread just disappear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Stickied..

Just re watched the wheelchair scene again and was brought back to the top 30 list we did. (Pity about the videos that have been taken down)

It's nearly 2 years since Lost ended now. Looking back through the scenes reminded me how great it was. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Man, my favourite scene (excluding the finale because they are too amazing and too many to count) is when the raft was launched at the end of season one, the music, the camera work, the optimism, the belief and hope that they might be able to take charge and rescue themselves, jin and sun leaving each other, sawyer looking for Kate but not seeing her, the dog running after Walt, "go back Vincent!", the score and the cinematography; my god that scene is fantastic tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

When Locke bangs on the hatch and the light emerges... that was epic!!!

Advertisement