Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry-fire, or leave cocked?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055902975&page=2

................................but it is down to simple metallurgy and it is quite differenet for guns with pins and those with clunky hammers that make contact with the primers. The correct tempering of a firing pin hardens its outside (giving durability), leaving a slightly softer interior (giving strength.) If the inner core temperature gets too high, it will harden the entire firing pin. Metals hardened in this way are brittle and can shatter, (think of hard plastic/soft plastic.) When a firing pin hits a “soft” detonator it de-accelerates slowly, so the shock is not great. If it hits nothing, the shock waves reverberate within the pin and can cause it to shatter. That is why – in the old days - good shotguns and rifles came with snap caps and a little canister containing spare firing pins - it also is why all “best” guns have disc-set strikers.

My first baikal came with Snap caps! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

My first baikal came with Snap caps! :D

:D indeed! Probably never needed them. Now if you said Yildiz......
    Rs
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

:D indeed! Probably never needed them. Now if you said Yildiz......
    Rs
    P.

I used to keep it broken under the bed!
    only used the snapcaps once.
    younger brother has it must be 9 year now, snap caps are well lost!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

As with any rimfire pistol dryfiring it will ruin the firing pin eventually if it does not have something to strike.

On the buckmark I would recommend getting some snapcaps - old brass will do but no RO likes to look into a gun you just uncased and see brass - too easy to make a mistake with a real one - get something a different colour.

I see many people using a breech flag - which is fine - but like many people have said it is best to release the tension on the spring when you are finished and that requires a dry fire.

For C/F pistol
    Empty dry fire away - they are well able for it - in fact, I always demand that people take aim and dry fire their firearm before holstering or casing as a 'final check' to ensure it IS empty.
    This is also mandatory in most international competition.
    It is not sufficient to lower the hammer - it must drop so if there is a round in the chamber it will fire -
    that is the reason for the last dry fire - not to take pressure off a spring.

B'Man

Advertisement