Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English,Media and cultural studies

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey! Could anyone tell me about the English media and cultural studies course in IADT? I've been on the website but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of info. Are the years assessed by examination or continuous assessment? Any Info would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShellGoBang

The majority of the modules are split between exams and C.A. usually with a 60/40 split. The 40% is usually then divided between essays, presentations, class contribution and attendance depending on the lecturer.

Some modules, although very few in my time there, were entirely C.A. based, usually requiring you to complete a project/ group presentation/ log books at some point during the semester as well as the usual essay etc.

Hope this helped you and is not too late, I'd highly recommend the course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭B2k

Anyone know what the time table for this course is like in first year? Is it a sort of nine to five thing everyday or whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShellGoBang

There's only up to about 15 hours a week on the course if memory serves so it's pretty spread out over the week. Usually only Monday to Thursday in first year, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cassiex10x

Just wondering whether there is an option to study abroad at all with this course? Even for just a semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tgav32

I have this course down too in my CAO,hope I get it. It sounds like a great course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

I was actually in the first year of this course so we had all the teething problems; not enough books in library (or worse no copies of text books), serious lack of computers in library (more than most colleges). But Dun Laoghaire was still primarily an art, design and film college back then so I'm sure things have improved since (maybe a more recent graduate could answer that?). There are only about 15 hours a week in the course but there is alot of reading and assignments, and I mean ALOT! Be prepared to put the work in. However, it is a very interesting course and we had some great lecturers (some dozies too though). The only thing I would point out to anyone looking to do this course is ask yourself why. What do you want to do afterwards? Work in the English and Media area is almost non existent at the moment and you need to be prepared to go on and do a masters at the very least. I'm actually going back to retrain in a completely different area because I just couldn't get work in this area; even before the recession hit. Just an fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Hey!

I just finished 1st year of the course and I have to say I am finding it fantastic.
    Firstly, the lecturers are seriously helpful and welcoming people. They made the transformation into 3rd level a hell of a lot easier!

The course itself in first year was 15 hours last year, from Monday - Thursday as the above poster said. I'm class rep and from attending the meetings we were assured that in 2nd year that we will definitely not be getting Friday's off!

In terms of course content and modules.. this year in semester 1 we studied - Media Studies (which consisted of studying things like marxism, narrative, genre, stereotypes etc.), Introduction to Writing 1 (which involved studying poetry from the likes of Charles Baudelaire and novels), Modern English Studies (novels, 18th century lit e.g. Mary Wortley Montague, Frankenstein, Jane Eyre), Introduction to Cinema & Cultural Studies (studying topics like film noir, celebrity etc. you also get to make a film in the second semester!), Critical Theory (studying theories such as feminism, marxism and applying them to texts e.g. novels, plays) and finally Learning Journal which was basically a module teaching you essentials for the course - basic film analysis, grammer etc.

In the 2nd semester, you study Critical Theory, Intro to Writing 2 (which involves writing a script), Modern English Studies, Introduction to Cinema & Cultural Studies 2, Learning Journal 2, & Visual Culture (studying things like modernism)

It's a fantastic course but there is a lot of coursework involved! You really have to be into reading!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Lisa:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Hey!

I just finished 1st year of the course and I have to say I am finding it fantastic.
    Firstly, the lecturers are seriously helpful and welcoming people. They made the transformation into 3rd level a hell of a lot easier!

The course itself in first year was 15 hours last year, from Monday - Thursday as the above poster said. I'm class rep and from attending the meetings we were assured that in 2nd year that we will definitely not be getting Friday's off!

In terms of course content and modules.. this year in semester 1 we studied - Media Studies (which consisted of studying things like marxism, narrative, genre, stereotypes etc.), Introduction to Writing 1 (which involved studying poetry from the likes of Charles Baudelaire and novels), Modern English Studies (novels, 18th century lit e.g. Mary Wortley Montague, Frankenstein, Jane Eyre), Introduction to Cinema & Cultural Studies (studying topics like film noir, celebrity etc. you also get to make a film in the second semester!), Critical Theory (studying theories such as feminism, marxism and applying them to texts e.g. novels, plays) and finally Learning Journal which was basically a module teaching you essentials for the course - basic film analysis, grammer etc.

In the 2nd semester, you study Critical Theory, Intro to Writing 2 (which involves writing a script), Modern English Studies, Introduction to Cinema & Cultural Studies 2, Learning Journal 2, & Visual Culture (studying things like modernism)

It's a fantastic course but there is a lot of coursework involved! You really have to be into reading!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Lisa:D

hey do you know what you might try to get into when you're done? do you feel its a degree which is well regarded? im stuck between this and english with film in ucd, i like how this is 4 years, english with film is only 3, but if i wanted to get into journalism say, what do you think would be better off!
    are you still enjoying it as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EmEsse

I know I've reviving a 7 year old thread here, but I literally just found this course and just applied because it sounds really interesting.
    I'm wondering though if there is anyone on the forum who completed the course and can give an insight into what you have gone on to do since finishing? Can you use this as an avenue into teaching English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Waara Rex

EmEsse wrote: »
    I know I've reviving a 7 year old thread here, but I literally just found this course and just applied because it sounds really interesting.
    I'm wondering though if there is anyone on the forum who completed the course and can give an insight into what you have gone on to do since finishing? Can you use this as an avenue into teaching English?
    There's Open Day this Saturday 20th January

http://www.iadt.ie/news/open-day-saturday-20th-january
    English, Media + Cultural Studies
    11am | 2pm Library (silent cinema) - Atrium Building

IADT Student Experience HEAR / DARE
    1pm Library (silent cinema) - Atrium Building

Campus Tours
    11am | 12noon Quadrangle Building
    LINK Register now for Open Day

3D Design, Modelmaking + Digital Art
    11.30am QS108 - Quadrangle Building, 1st floor

Animation
    11am | 1pm Animation Studio - Quadrangle Building, 1st floor

Applied Psychology
    11am | 2pm A021 - Atrium Building, ground floor

Art
    11am | 2pm Art Studio - Quadrangle Building, ground floor

Arts Management

Creative Computing
    11.30am | 1pm A012 - Atrium Building, ground floor

Creative Media Technologies
    12noon A217 - Atrium Building, top floor

Creative Music Production
    12noon | 2pm QS018 - Quadrangle Building, ground floor

Design for Stage + Screen
    1pm Trevor Scott Hall - Quadrangle Building, ground floor

English, Media + Cultural Studies

Entrepreneurship
    11.30am | 2.30pm Library (silent cinema) - Atrium Building

Film + Television Production
    12noon | 2pm QS065 - National Film School, ground floor

New Media Studies

Photography
    11.30am | 1.30pm QE004 - Quadrangle Building, ground floor

Visual Communication Design
    12noon Visual Communication Design Mac Lab - Quadrangle Building, 1st floor

IADT Student Experience HEAR / DARE 1pm Library (silent cinema) - Atrium Building

Campus Tours
    11am | 12noon Quadrangle Building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 EmEsse

Waara Rex wrote: »
    There's Open Day this Saturday 20th January

http://www.iadt.ie/news/open-day-saturday-20th-january

There is indeed. Unfortunately I am working.

Advertisement