Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I got a case

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Ok long story but I'll try keep it as short as possible

2 weeks ago I bought a snake (4 months old) and all the stuff (Tank, water bowl, food etc) from a certain pet shop in town who had a deal running where you get the snake and everything you need for 200 euro. At the time they didn't have any of the regular tanks so gave me one that was more expensive but, as far as I knew, could house the snake. I bought it Saturday 2 weeks ago and on the Monday afterwards the snake had escaped and I couldn't find her, she's gone, so this past Saturday I bought another snake for another 100 euro and came home today to find her gone too so this is 300 euro so far (Well I didn't pay it my partner did as a birthday present for me). I couldn't work out how they were escaping until today I noticed the enclosure has 4 latches to hold the lid down and each latch has a space big enough for a 4 month corn snake to fit through, the enclosure they gave me is more suited to an iguana or bigger pet and not a young snake but they should have known that, I just assumed that it was an enclosure that could house a snake since they are the professionals and should know.

Now my problem is they sold me the wrong type of enclosure and because of it I've lost 2 snakes and am 300 euro out of pocket, now I rang the girl that works there today (Because I was chatting to her Saturday and she was as upset as me about the first snake disappearing{The orange one with yellow rings because it's a very rare coloured snake}) and she's got a new snake for me off a friend of hers that she's giving to me for free and she was really sound about it and she's going to talk to the manager and "Plea my case" to get a replacement enclosure to house the snake but even with a new snake and new enclosure I'm still 100 euro out of pocket for the second snake I bought that escaped because of the enclosure but she reckons he won't give me a refund for that snake even though it's his shops fault the snakes escaped, so what exactly are my rights in this case?

This is just to show you how small they both were and how big the gaps they escaped through were

Both snakes

Image013.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image003.jpg

The gap they got through

Image029.jpg

Image030.jpg

Now I didn't see those gaps until today and at this age their heads are smaller than a 4 year olds thumb nail so could squeeze through that with no problems at all so I guess what I'm saying is if they sold me an enclosure that was not fit to hold a 4 month old snake have I got a case? at the end of the day all I want is a replacement tank, a new snake and a refund for the second snake I had to pay for because if the tank was right from the start the first snake wouldn't have escaped

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Based on my limited knowledge of snakes, I'd be pretty sure that the other two snakes are somewhere in your flat/building. I'd try the Animals & Pet issues forum for advice on finding your wayward snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think you have a case on the tank because you obviously relied on their expertise.

Do not presume that the snakes are gone. They may still be in your home, hiding in some warm dark place (hot presses are a favourite) and might emerge in some weeks' time.

[Dudara types faster than I do!]

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Find your snakes first. Take the heat mat and put it along side a skirting board in the room they were housed in. Get an old drink bottle 500ml or 2l what ever you have and put it on the heat mat. Put a towel or even an old rag over the bottle on the heat mat to make inside the bottle dark and in the bottle (with no lid) put in a pinkie or two. Just leave the set up alone in the room with the light off and check on it every 20 or so mins. The snakes could be anywhere and the fact you have 2 loose I reckon you will defo get one back. But do this do not assume the snakes are gone they are around and will come out when they are hungry and smell the mice, you wont though so don worry about any smells.
    I done this when my corn snake escaped last year and got him back after 3 days. If the mice start to decompose put new ones in. But do not think they are gone forever you have 2 very alive snakes in your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CrazySnakeLady

dudara wrote: »
    Based on my limited knowledge of snakes, I'd be pretty sure that the other two snakes are somewhere in your flat/building. I'd try the Animals & Pet issues forum for advice on finding your wayward snakes.

I've actually searched everywhere, I used a crowbar to disconnect presses and wardrobes from walls they were glued too, I tore up all my carpet and pulled up all the floorboards, I cut the back out of my couch to see if they were there. See it's an old building and there are loads of holes in floorboards and a crack under the door that they could escape through if they got onto the floor which they obviously did,I know what I'll be told in the Animals & Pet issues forum, to look for them somewhere where there is water but this is a 4 story building with 8 flats so thats 16 water sources and I can't knock on all their doors and ask if they found a snake, that would get me evicted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CrazySnakeLady

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Find your snakes first. Take the heat mat and put it along side a skirting board in the room they were housed in. Get an old drink bottle 500ml or 2l what ever you have and put it on the heat mat. Put a towel or even an old rag over the bottle on the heat mat to make inside the bottle dark and in the bottle (with no lid) put in a pinkie or two. Just leave the set up alone in the room with the light off and check on it every 20 or so mins. The snakes could be anywhere and the fact you have 2 loose I reckon you will defo get one back. But do this do not assume the snakes are gone they are around and will come out when they are hungry and smell the mice, you wont though so don worry about any smells.
    I done this when my corn snake escaped last year and got him back after 3 days. If the mice start to decompose put new ones in. But do not think they are gone forever you have 2 very alive snakes in your place.

Thanks,I'll try that,at this point I'll try anything to be honest to get them back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks,I'll try that,at this point I'll try anything to be honest to get them back
    and be patient as stated it could take a few hours or a few days to entice them out from hiding.

Advertisement