Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa first/ Travel to Work Ltd

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey guys.
    Just wondering did anyone use Visa first to set up their Australian bank account and are they trust worthy? I set up a bank account with them and it cost me €25 to set it up. They then sent me a email on how I can transfer money to that account and how long it takes etc. They say I can collect the bank card when I arrive in Australia which will be November. Also is it vise able to have all your money thats required to enter the country in your Irish account or Australian account? Any information would be greatly appericated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ive seen advice on here before , people saying to avoid vist first, not because they are dodgy but for charging for something that you can do for free when you get here yourself , when i came over here i had my money in my irish account and internet banking set up so if they asked, i would have been able to log in and show them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

personally I would recommend them. Why do people get painters to paint or window cleaners to clean windows, its a service. takes the hassle out of doing it yourself! with the money tranferin bloody great rates compared to what the banks where offering me let alone using the atm abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ring Westpac/ANZ in london and ask to set up a Westpac account in Oz.

But if you wish to spend $25 let no-one stop you. Whatever is easiest for you.

Its 25 Bucks not the end of the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I used Visa First 5 years ago to set up a bank account before I arrived. It was quick, easy and hasslefree which was exactly why I did it.

I probably wouldn't use them again though. It's relatively easy to set up an account over here. The exchange rate they offer for transfers wasn't as good as I could have gotten and the bank they used was ANZ which turned out to be quite expensive fee-wise. I've long since moved to a different bank with a fee-free account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

for the same time/effort it is free

the form you fill out for Visa first will have the same info as a bank form for free.

You can even open up ANZ account from Ireland for free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ppeachy

DONT go with visa first for your bank account. I have 2 friends that used them for this and they both lost out nearly a grand each because of Visa first 'special' conversion rate. This was on the Joe Duffy show aswell about year and half ago. They are first class robbers! Only get yer visa with them as the international driving licence is a sham too!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

ppeachy wrote: »
    DONT go with visa first for your bank account. I have 2 friends that used them for this and they both lost out nearly a grand each because of Visa first 'special' conversion rate. This was on the Joe Duffy show aswell about year and half ago. They are first class robbers! Only get yer visa with them as the international driving licence is a sham too!

Thanks a mill for the advice

No worries. Plus it simple to open up your own bank account when you get there. you need your passport and then if you have a bill with your name on it. I just applied for my ABN number before i got there and used my friends address. That works grand cause its an official document. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

completely disagree! found them great!!!!!!!

yeah i found them fine cause i was just using them for my visa. but did you check their conversion rate against that of any other banks?? Was waaaaaaaaaay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

I've gone with USIT to open my Westpac australian account.
    Got a load of info in the post over the last few days which was so confusing! It was telling me to send back all my details to open and verify my account (had 2 weeks to do this)but then on another form it says i have to go to my local branch when i get over to do an identity check(do this within 90 days) So confused over this! :confused:
    All i want to do is transfer some money before i go over and then maybe get a bank card and be able to make withdrawals when i get over.
    Anyone had any experiance with USIT opening your bank account??

Advertisement