Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop - help with specs

Options
  • 06-07-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a laptop soon because it's becoming too much of an inconvenience for me coming to the desktop everytime so for people who know more about this than me I have some questions.
    P.S. sorry if I won't be replying soon as i'll be watching the match - there you go, the inconvenience of a desktop!

Anyway, my main uses are internet browising (youtube a lot of the time so flash player will be busy) - often I find that I may have maybe 15 or 20 tabs/windows open, it's just the way I browse! Then watching movies, music playing, picture editing, and use of acrobat and office (openoffice for me). Other bits and pieces from time to time then.
    Max i'd like to spend would be about €700.

So my questions (based on what you can figure of my usage):

-Is there really a major advantage of i5 over i3 and is it worth spending the extra cash?
    -Is it worth spending the extra cash for a blu-ray drive, especially because i've been told because of problems with 3D tvs that it might be a dying breed?
    -For laptops that have a HDMI port, is this i/p, o/p or both? My reason for asking is that if I didn't get a blu-ray drive then what is it's purpose - you can't watch HD stuff other than from online which is going to overload my data allowance. Can this be used to connect a blu-ray player into?
    -RAM: Is it worth going above 2Gb based on my usage?
    -Any other features that are worth including?

Thanks for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The average user would be perfectly happy with an i3 processor. The things you are mentioning are pretty basic stuff.

Is it worth it to upgrade to an i5? I would need to know the cost and the exact model to give an opinion.

Bluray is definitely not a dying breed, as a HD movie disc format it will last at least 10 years. Is it worth it? How long is a piece of string? :D I mean, if you have lots of Bluray films already and you want to watch them on your laptop, then you don't have a choice do you ? If you don't give two hoots about Bluray movies then you don't need one, programs and OSs etc are still going to come on DVD for a long, long time.

HDMI on laptops is out only.

I would go with 4GB ram. Why not? It is standard on even cheap machines nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

Thanks for the reply.

This is the one i'm looking at from Dell
    http://ireland.dell.com/ie/en/home/Laptops/inspiron-1564/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-1564&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&~oid=ie~en~510295~inspiron-1564_n0056411~~

I'm wondering if it's over-spec'd for me though and maybe I could save some money.
    The HDMI out wouldn't be a major benifit based on my usage I think, although a lot do come with them anyway.
    Anyone know any other good places online or stores - Dell seem to be the cheapest from my research?

Advertisement