Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Kennel

Options
  • 06-07-2010 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

1st time poster....

Need some advice on buying a dog kennel. I need it this weekend! Getting a bernard pup.
    I want to get a nice timber kennel that is made of heavy duty material and that will withstand our lovely Irish weather.
    I seen some flimsy options over the weekend but want something which will be a nice home and one that will last. Budget of no more than €200.

All help appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've tried various kennels over the years from traditional timber to igloo ones etc. but what works out cheaper, is more practical and has plenty of space is a small shed.

For €200 you shld be able to get a decent small shed, if possible go with shiplap. Shop around a bit there are tons of garden shed suppliers or even Argos or B&Q would be worth looking at.

You can eventually add a dog flap to it as well.

It also means you can stand up when cleaning it out.

You can insulate it if you like or put some rubber mats on the floor or lino, we have lino on ours you just have to be careful of slippy surfaces, there's other flooring you can get that is more non slip as well. Or just one of those large hall mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You could get a decent shed for that money, and no I'm not joking.
    My friends have two retrievers and found a shed the longest lasting of all the houses over the years(about 15yrs and 2nd lot of dogs). They lined the inside with some sheets of insulation and then mdf sheets. The dogs have a big box with sides about 18ins high and in the bottom is a large foam cushion covered with vet bed. Lino on floor makes easy cleaning.
    They put in one of those doggy doors with the plastic strips(clear flexible strips like you see on fridges in shops). It took a while to get dogs using the dog flap as they weren't young, but before that they just left the door open in the daytime.
    Shed is up on some blocks too.

^^^someone beat me to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

You would build a better dog kennell for less if you knew how. Myself and my brother built a nice big kennell for half nothing for my Border Collie. Its possible to fit two of him in there , its insulated and has a coal bag over the door with stones in it to keep the cold out.

Advertisement