Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT: Do I need a safe for my one air rifle?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I spoke to a gun dealer today about my air rifle and he notified me that I need a safe to store my air rifle.

When reapplying for my licence a month ago I bought a trigger lock for it and said on the application that I had complied with the secure storage requirements..

I did this on the advice of a garda who told me I only needed a trigger lock for one gun and that a secure locker was only needed if I had two or more guns..

Is this true and what should I do now as I think i'm currently on the wrong side of the law.

I don't actually want this gun anymore as it's not used and any money spent now.. be it on a licence renewal, storage etc will be wasted.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

As a air-rifle is considered a non-restricted firearm, and assuming you only have one, you do need a gun-safe. What the "helpful" guard was telling you only applied if you only had one shotgun.

(Again, the perils of taking advice from Gardai who don't know what they're talking about! Just my particular bee-in-my-bonnet for today!:()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

In that case.. Any Gun Dealers here who want me gun. I've been told it's worth about €200 odd.

If somebody wanted to take it off my hands i'd let it go for about €100..

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Stick it up on the For Sale section - You never know who'll want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I did already but didn't get any takers..

I think i'll just hand it into the local gun dealer tomorrow and just write it off..

It's either that or fork out €80 for a licence and ~€160 for a safe.. and not even use the gun like it hasn't been used in the past 2-3 years easily..

Thanks for the advice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Pm sent techguy;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement