Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To know if others are using the wireless service

Options
  • 06-07-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

We have Eircom wireless connection in our house. How do I know if one of my housemates have giving the wireless connection password to our next door neighbours? He is best friends of them.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Change it and listen for 'd'oh!' noises next door?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yeah I was thinking of turning it off briefly when there was nobody in our house.

The problem is that we don't have unlimited access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

YFlyer wrote: »
    We have Eircom wireless connection in our house. How do I know if one of my housemates have giving the wireless connection password to our next door neighbours? He is best friends of them.

Thanks

Ask your housemate???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Why not just change the password and monitor the speeds, then if your housemate gives the password to your neighbour you'll see a drop in the speeds, it won't give you definitive proof but it'll give you a fairly good idea if it is happening. You can always change the password again! And if the housemate continues to give it to his mate, you can simply not give them access to the wireless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Are you able to see in your Network Connections how many computers/laptops are connected to your wireless?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A couple of suggestions:

Change the wireless password - obviously.

Change the password to access the router so that only you know it.

Set up a mac address list that will only allow access to the laptops you want to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you go to the routers configuration web page you should be able to see a list of DHCP leases that your router has given out and to what MAC address. From there you can see how many leases are given out and its also possible to find out what type of machine it is leased out to by using something like http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Hmmm, I'd suggest changing the password then offering to share it with the neighbour if s/he chips in for the cost. If they say no, then lock down the MAC addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Norton Internet security will show you every device which has previously or currently connected to the router which you are on if both were online at the same time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

change the name from eircom1234 5678 to something else (you can still figure out the mac, but it helps)

change from WEP to WPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hey YFlyer,

I assume you have the netopia standard router shipped with eircom

1. Goto 192.168.1.254 on your web browser.
    2. Click on expert mode
    3. Click yes to enter expert mode
    4. Click on statistics.
    5. Click on Lan

Here you will see a list of current active devices on the Router.

Do next steps at your own risk.

As Capt'n Midnight says and others have mentioned,

Goto Configure Wireless and change the preshared key.

But remember the key as if you don't, you'll need a hardwire to the router to get it back.

Hope this helps
    Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Is there no dedicated little software package that lets you check what people / devices are connected to your wireless network? If there was I would certainly buy one! runs to Trademark/patent office :D

OOPS sorry i didnt realise How old this thread was sorry Mods :( zombie thread! my bad

Advertisement