Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv

• 06-07-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I know theres a tread on house security but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for fitting security cameras to a private house. The prices we have been quoted so far are crazy. over €2k out of our league it might be cheaper to let people rob us :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you want it done properly it's gonna cost you. A couple of hardware stores supply the cameras and basic kits so you could probabaly save a bit there rather than going from a specific companys. B&Q I think still do them, Homebase stock smaller kits that you could just get a few of and I'm sure I've seen some cameras in Woodies and Soundstore of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

i often wonder whats the difference between the stuff you get in the shops and the kind of stuff that these professionals fit?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jayboi wrote: »
    i often wonder whats the difference between the stuff you get in the shops and the kind of stuff that these professionals fit?

Better quality generally. You can still get decent enough cameras in store, but professionals often use a very high quality colour camera with sound. Those type of cameras are pricey and generally come feature packed anyway. Put that on top of installation and maintenance cost. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

to be honest op in my opinion anyway you would be better off going the professional route as your getting better quality picture for a start, a digital recording system like intellix is highly recommended and ya have no worries with the installation as it would be done professional and properly, if you were to buy a do it yourself kit ya won,t get quality and it more than likely won,t last pissing time, what sort of hassle are you having that you have to resort to havin cctv on your home???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

jayboi wrote: »

On the cameras its going to be quality , resolution & the lux level they will work at.

Professionally installed cameras will have 580 TVL or higher working at a lux of 0.001 or better . These DIY kits will have cameras of around 380-420 TVL & a much lower lux tolerance.

On the recorders its going to be the Quality of recordings. Basic units will be recording at 50 or 100 frames per second. Many may not have a CD or DVD burner. May not have network card for remote access & will have much less features on the software. Professional DVRs will record at 400 frames per second or higher will usually have a DVD burner as well as the option to record to other removable media like external HDD or USB.
    HDD sizes will usually be bigger also.

The most important (and often the most overlooked) is digital watermarking. Most DIY recorders will not have this. Without this any digital imaging can be dismissed as unreliable evidence in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I know theres a tread on house security but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for fitting security cameras to a private house. The prices we have been quoted so far are crazy. over €2k out of our league it might be cheaper to let people rob us :D

Have a look/search on the Tech threads on boards, there's a couple of helpful guys on there who can point you in the right direction as to what to buy. I'd say don't waste your time/money on the products in the DIY shops - this generally won't be of sufficient quality to provide evidence if that's what you need this stuff for.

You could do this yourself with some decent IP cameras and a NAS drive to record on to, depending on your config. you can access this footage remotely, but you'd have to know what you're about.

I'd say it won't be long before having CCTV and a support contract is an insurance requirement or gives you a discount as per an alarm.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cookie monster3

Thanks to everyone who replied its giving me food for thought

Advertisement