Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hmmmmm was I ripped off?

• 06-07-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

So just bought a bike 2nd hand today, paid 250. Its a ralleigh airlite 100 2009 model. Now I have to say its in prestine condition and hardly rode, but on doing more research a lot of people seem to be saying the bike is crap!

specs of the bike are here http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/1123397/raleigh-airlite-100.html

seems very heavy for a road bike too, at 16kg?? Now im not planning on doing anything major on the bike like a cross country cycle or anything:P but I am doin Gael Force West which is a 44km cycle all in all, which is what il covering in training. Just hoping I didnt spend good money on an absolute pile of junk! (ps 250 was my MAXIMUM budget)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

are you happy with it?

Did it feel good when on it? Will it get you out and riding?

If yes, then dont worry and get out there while the weather is fine!

To qualify that a little.. its never gonna be a great bike at the original full price, but shoul last a bit for those distances quoted and not bad price to spend to find out if you want to get into cycling, if that changes, no harm biying more bikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

yeh good point, im riding a hybrid at the moment, never had a raod bike before so it will be interesting to see the difference it will make. I was hoping for something lighter than the hybrid but its only 1kilo lighter or somethin. But I am happy with it I suppose. As I say, im never going to be doing more than a 50km cycle and im not looking for any kind of carbon frame bike, just something that will ride well and be comfortable.

Now the dilema is to sell the hybrid and recoup some money or to hold onto it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems like it got a bit of an overhaul between 2009 and 2010 - carbon fork instead of steel, 8-speed freehub cassette instead of a 7-speed freewheel.

It's worth what you paid for it and it's not a stinker. Geometry looks good and you have an alu frame base there you can upgrade on.

As said above, it'll well last you for training for that kind of distance, and if the bug bites you can upgrade. The bike is suitable for upgrading bit-by-bit if you can't afford a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's priced on that link as £380, so about €470. You say it's pristine, and only 2009 so not really sure what you have a problem with, seems like €250 is a pretty good deal. The average rating, albeit from only 3 reviews is good, so not sure why you think people are saying it's crap.

I think what you really mean, rather than asking were you ripped off, is was is worth it?

Depends what you were looking for. If you were looking for a good, sturdy, relaible and low cost bike it seems you have what you wanted. If you were looking for a light racing bike then at €250 you were always going to struggle, especially as you seemed to have wanted the bike to be pristine etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ah no, i dont mean ripped off really. Bad choice of words I suppose. i did a search on other sites and they were saying that the bike isnt worth a cr*p etc and prices were up as £200 brand new, but im thinkin now that was a 2007 bike.

Think I was just a bit worried cause I have a decent enough bike at the moment and im just hoping the money I spent is getting me something better than what I already have, albeit a totally different animal. :D

Just have to get used to 14 gears instead of 21 now:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just remember a somewhat famous cyclist once said that it's not a bout the bike, and he sure is right.

Focus on getting out as often as possible, eat right, train right will make far more difference.

Of course upgrading the bike will make a difference after that, but as you already said most important that it is comfortable and you enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

thehamo wrote: »
    Just have to get used to 14 gears instead of 21 now:P

Also you wouldnt have had '21' gears anyway (and you have less than 14 useable gears now). I am not trying to be pedantic, but just pointing this out to prevent you from cross chaining etc (loook it up)

The ratios will probably be better/different, look at sheldon browns ratio calculator to compare using number of teeth on each cog.

Advertisement