Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AICS

Options
  • 06-07-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I know many of you have the AICS upgrade kit for the Remington 700, so I wanted to know if its simply a matter of dropping your Remington barrel and action into the AICS stock or is there any gun smithing required?

I may be jumping the gun a bit but I was debating the value if the AICS system. Given that they can be had in a left handed version I am considering a left handed build based on a Remington 700. I've been told the left handed SPS varmint actually has a pretty good barrel and so would be a good starting point.

Although this will be some time int he future, feel free to give me any advice you might have.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hibrion wrote: »
    I know many of you have the AICS upgrade kit for the Remington 700, so I wanted to know if its simply a matter of dropping your Remington barrel and action into the AICS stock or is there any gun smithing required?

I may be jumping the gun a bit but I was debating the value if the AICS system. Given that they can be had in a left handed version I am considering a left handed build based on a Remington 700. I've been told the left handed SPS varmint actually has a pretty good barrel and so would be a good starting point.

Although this will be some time int he future, feel free to give me any advice you might have.

Thanks

@€;800~ I'd go with another chasis.

From what I have been told some gunsmithing may be required with some rifles (RH) to ensure good fitting in AICS.

Contact your nearest custom rifle builder for more precise advise regarding (LH).

The http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/left-hand/model-700-sps-varmint-lh.aspx

stock looks like the cheapest Rammy stock, I have the same on my VTR.

You would be better off getting a varmint stock off Edi IMHO and yuo would get bolt inlet machined LH.

It would work out cheaper than an AICS (if an AICS can be used on a Left hand action)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

The stock wouldn't matter as I'd be changing it anyway. Any suggestions for a better stock that can be got for a left handed rifle?

The stock wouldn't matter as I'd be changing it anyway. Any suggestions for a better stock that can be got for a left handed rifle?

Edi off boards makes custom stocks.

It might be the best bet for a leftie, or bigted on here has a VSSF II stock whick is pillar bedded for sale.

Add a Karsten Cheek riser and you are in Business.

Us left shoulder shooters are discriminated dreadfully :D

Tell me about it. Hard enough to find a left handed rifle, never mind customize it.
    I don't even have one at the moment. If I am to go for a lefty I'd like it to be something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

McMillan do most of their line in left-handed versions as well. Bell and Carlson do a few as I recall. H.S. Precision are good too. Would quite like one of their Kevlar sporter style stocks with the aluminium chassis on a rifle. Good design. Their heavier varmint type designs sound good for what you're looking to do.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it. Hard enough to find a left handed rifle, never mind customize it.
    I don't even have one at the moment. If I am to go for a lefty I'd like it to be something good.

I'm not a true leftie, i am left eye dominant so I shoot left shouldered.
    I think I can work a bolt quicker because of it.

I am still in search of teh ultimate stock.

Bell & Carlson are looking good.

The Sako TRG is a nice stock, but not a comfy as my VSSF II with a karsten ;)

Get yourself a Savage if you want silly out of the box accuracy, or a good Tikka or Sako, depending on the calibre and build you want. Sako only make their Hunter models in left hand, and then only long action standard boltface (.25-06, .270, .30-06) but their are loads of Tikkas. Try the Varmint Stainless or Super Varmint perhaps? Stupidly accurate and available left-handed. Savage are excellent too, and might have something suitable depending on the calibre you'd like.

Had seen a nice sako 75 in 270 on guntrader in the uk. Might be a bit of hassle to get it over here though.

It's not too bad. It's how I got my own 75. Fire off a PM with any questions you have and I'll see whether I can sort you out.

• Advertisement

I nearly bought a 10FLP in .308 but while I was trying to wrangle information out of RFDs here, I found and bought my 75. The Savage is a cracking gun but it's not a purchase I regret. What calibre are you looking at? That Savage stock isn't exactly endearing, but their laminate models are fantastic if they come in the calibre you're looking for.

I'm still waiting on my remmy 308 so I was thinking that when I got used to that I could change it for a left handed model in something and not have to go through the rigorous task of re licensing a different caliber. Can't really go wrong with the 308 form what I've seen.

I'm still waiting on my remmy 308 so I was thinking that when I got used to that I could change it for a left handed model in something and not have to go through the rigorous task of re licensing a different caliber. Can't really go wrong with the 308 form what I've seen.

you can change calibres on the amendment as well, provided it's a similar firearm for the same purpose (say a long, non-restricted firearm, for target shooting and deer hunting - now, the calibre is as changeable as the serial number in that case, because they're all much the same). So get the calibre you want now and don't worry about changing it along the way if you want. Of course you're right as well - the .308 is pretty much spot on.

Was talking to the lads in the fpu and they said you can only change for a rifle of the same calibre?

Was talking to the lads in the fpu and they said you can only change for a rifle of the same calibre?

Commissioner's guidelines disagree, so talk to your Super, and bring a copy. The proviso is that your good reason for having the firearm hasn't changed (so a bunny buster to a deer rifle is out, for instance, but a .308 for a .300 win mag would be okay).

Well that is definitely something to bear in mind when I inevitable decide to upgrade my remmy.

Well that is definitely something to bear in mind when I inevitable decide to upgrade my remmy.

In the pre FCA1 Era ;)
    I swapped a 6.5 for a .308 same day.

However the renewals came back wrong each year!

Advertisement