Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with old PC games?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

I've a good few PC games hanging around that I don't plan on playing again (The Witcher Extended Edition, Oblivion, etc, lots of good games); what can be done with them? Since I've already used the authorisation codes that came with these, so is there any point giving them away (ideally to the local charity shop)? It seems such a waste to throw them into the bin!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hold on to them. You never know when you'll want to play them again. At the very least, take an image of them and save your cd-key. Then at least you can keep a digital copy of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

those codes aren't single-use. you can use them over and over.

you could always give to me :D
    being serious, you could always sell them on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah could always try adverts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ionapaul wrote: »
    I've a good few PC games hanging around that I don't plan on playing again (The Witcher Extended Edition, Oblivion, etc, lots of good games); what can be done with them? Since I've already used the authorisation codes that came with these, so is there any point giving them away (ideally to the local charity shop)? It seems such a waste to throw them into the bin!

Depends on the game. I have bought a number of second hand PC games such as Fallout 3, FEAR, COD4, Crysis max Edition etc although the number of game that you can install again and again is decreaing.

Are you certain that they cannot be used again? Worth checking out.

i know for sure Oblivion's code isn't single-use cos i borrowed a friend's and it works on my machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Depends on the game really... For the Witcher you have to register the CD key online, then enter the username and PW you chose every time you want to use that CD key again.

Other, older games like Oblivion should be fine though

I'd say sell on Adverts too... Even games that require activation (Bioshock etc) still let you do this on at least 3 different PCs, so you shouldn't really have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah could always try adverts.
    I have been trying to get rid of a fairly large collection of old games with no luck :(
    Had more but I know they can't be resold (like the Orange Box etc) but everything I listed could (should) still work in win vista/7

tman wrote: »
    I'd say sell on Adverts too... Even games that require activation (Bioshock etc) still let you do this on at least 3 different PCs, so you shouldn't really have a problem
    IIRC i think those type of games don't allow eg 3 different PC's, you need to register online for each PC. i borrowed UT3 off a friend but he already had his code registered online but he gave me his details to log in so i could install it. it actually didn't matter cos my PC wasn't powerful enough for it :pac:

OP as long you include any details (username, password, CD key, etc) the buyer might need to install, you should have no trouble selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ive just ordered the Witcher Platinum edition on ebay. I would have taken that off ya otherwise!

Keep em. I have stacks of old pc games hanging around. I buy alot of golden oldies on budget release, just got Rainbow 6 Raven Shield the other day for 6 quid! You dont stand to make anything really on them so just hold onto em. It might be nice to reinstall one or two in years to come for a blast of nostalgia!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I ruthlessly dump old games. I normally tear off the back page of the booklet to save the CD Key though. In this day and age, the key is the only part that really matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I have a couple of those suitcase-cd-holder-type-things.
    I also rip off the cd key and slip it in with the cd.
    But I was looking through these games this morning and realised that half of them wont work on my current computer due to being outdated. Im thinking I might start throwing them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 eclipse05

I had the same problem long time ago but than I understood, that there is no point to keep them.

Why?
    Because there is always few good games during the each year and I still don't have enough time to play them :(

Today for me are Demon's Souls, Dragon Age but soon will be Dragon Age 2, this fall I'll bought GranTurismo5 and it will keep me for... many months?? :eek: :P
    So... life is too short, just sell these games ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sell them on ebay prehaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 eclipse05

ebay, adverts, gumtree...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,993 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lots of game collectors in arcade & retro -

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66782836#post66782836

I'm fairly sure someone would be willing to take them off your hands rather than see them end up in a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Put them on ebay with a starting bid of 99 cent.. Always gets a few interested and you will make a few euro.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hold on to them, I have my old C&C games, operation flashpoint, the MOH and COD series, heck, I even have my old NES in the attic, along with the snes, N64 and other gaming rigs...

Advertisement