Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.Sc. ...General Vs Honours?

• 06-07-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

I have passed all of my third year subjects with a 2:1 overall in Science.

I am now debating whether to accept the offer of a 4th year place, or should I just graduate now with a general degree & head to the workforce.

Is there really much benefit in having a honours degree over a general degree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

What do you want to do with your future? If you want to stay in Science or do a postgradaute degree you will definetely need the honours degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Sorry if I ask ye this - General degree and Ordinary degree are the same thing or they are different?
    My friend is thinking of finishing up 3rd year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

The Paws wrote: »
    Sorry if I ask ye this - General degree and Ordinary degree are the same thing or they are different?

A general/ordinary degree would be a level 7 degree as far as I know..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

There is a big difference in the eyes of an employer and depending on what you want to do.

Educationally speaking, ordinary degree is level seven, honours is level eight and a masters is level nine. You cannot progress to a masters without an honours degree.

Usually four year courses / honours degrees require that you complete a big final year plan or thesis and this is what qualifies you for the honours part. This is quite tough and can be a great help when going into the work force.

Realistically there may not be many jobs regardless of whether you have an honours degree or not - so many might argue it's better to stay in college for as long as you can.

If you can work in your field with an ordinary degree and are eager to start and feel there would be work - I see no reason why you couldnt but I personally would stay in college til I had the honours degree.

Any particular reason for the rush or just feel it is a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hello sunshine

The biggest benefit it offers is the fourth year research project. it is your first real experience of working in the lab and is pretty much what will make up your cv if your looking for a job science, as you really need experience of lab techniques. it will also help you decide if that is the kind of career you would like.

if you are just fed up of college and looking to get out into the workforce, i recommend sticking it out for another year because there are no jobs in science at the moment anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement