Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing/Freezing Homemade Soup

Options
  • 06-07-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I plan on making a big pot of homemade soup later in the week and won't be eating it all at once.

1) So is there any plastic containers or anything that I can get in Argos or somewhere like that, that would be ideal for storing the soup in?

2) Also assuming I put it in the freezer, when I take it out, will I have to defrost it for a few hours before heating it up?

3) Finally how long can I freeze the soup for before it wouldn't be safe/healthy eating it again?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I freeze my soups in strong sandwich bags but I got some brilliant plastic containers in Aldi few months ago that are ideal for the job as well. I don't defrost them unless I remember too and I throw them straight into a saucepan and bring to the boil. I think 3months is the maximum they'll keep for, though mine never last that long in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Barney Magoo

I freeze my soups in strong sandwich bags ..........

You could put the freezer/sandwich bag into a measuring jug then fill with soup and tie off. Put the whole thing in the freezer and when it freezes the jug can be removed and the bag of soup keeps it's shape. Can be easier to store than a flat bag of soup and fits in a pot straight from the freezer.
    Barney (aka Blue Peter)

Myself and the missus regaularly make up 40 ltr batches of soup as its handy due to the wacky hours we sometimes work.

We have only made veg soup so far

If you know someone with an account in a cash n carry etc get them to get you disposable containers, the ones that can stack into themselves.

Regular tupperware type ones usually dont stack very well for the same capacity

As for reheating, I just pop it out of the container from frozen into the pot and heat it up. Slowly at first, to allow it to melt gradually, then bring it up close to the boil

As above, this is veg soup, dont know if you could do the same with something with meat in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We've frozen homemade veg soup before without any problems. We generally let it defrost and use sandwich boxes or we've a few plastic containers from Chinese take away (have been in the dishwasher), but they're a bit flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Butter cartons, takeaway containers, soup pots, yoghurt pots etc etc...
    Sandwich bags, as said, are good too - I also use the putting the bag in a jug trick but I don't freeze it in the jug - just loose.

IMO soup will keep good in the freezer for at least 6 months.
    I recently took out a beef stew with chorizo that had been in the freezer for well over a year and it was delicious (it was in a takeaway container).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I got 10 plastic tubs (takeaway style) in the pound shop for 2yoyos! great for freezing soup in seperate portions. i usually take soup out of the freezer the night before i want it and leave it in the fridge. as for how long to leave it in the freezer before it goes off, ive never had soup last that long tbh!

Advertisement