Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best retail camera shops in Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Aye... you can't beat Gunn's... prices aside they're all such lovely people.

Everytime I go in there and Mrs. Gunn is around I leave the shop with at least one or two nuggets of information.

To add -

I got a really pleasant surprise in Sam McCauley's recently.

I was buying frames in Dublin for €24 each. I stopped into the local Sam McCauley's (Enniscorthy) recently and they had the same frame for €18 each. I placed an order for 20 frames and received a call today to tell me they had arrived. They ended up selling me the frames for €15 each. The chap I was dealing with was A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

thefizz wrote: »
    Its good to hear stories like this. With so many people buying gear from abroad, its great to know you are supporting jobs in Ireland. Fair play to you :)
    There were some slightly better deals (up to €75 cheaper) available online from abroad. Now I've often bought things online but with a bit of kit like this, I think the additional cost was worth it if you can call to a shop which has a sympathetic ear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

oldyouth wrote: »
    There were some slightly better deals (up to €75 cheaper) available online from abroad. Now I've often bought things online but with a bit of kit like this, I think the additional cost was worth it if you can call to a shop which has a sympathetic ear

I actually bought the same camera with an L lens from Gunns a few months back. I didn't even bother looking anywhere else, home or abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I sent in a query to Gunn's this morning, for some bits. I got a prompt reply (as good as any online retailer), with prices better than I've found on the web.

While they don't have any of the items I want in stock, they can have them in for me Monday morning.

I couldn't ask for a better service, and prices as competitive as you'll find anywhere in Ireland (or UK for what I'm looking for currently).

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Just to update on my situation. I had another thread enquiring where was the best place to buy a Canon 550d with 18/55 lens. Anyway, the cheapest and most convenient I found was Argos here in Wexford at €839.99. However, on reading the responses and other reviews here, I gave Gunns a call and they quoted me €840.

Anyway, I decided to go with Gunns because of all the positive feedback here and this morning, my son who lives in Dublin, called in to make the purchase for me. He asked a lady there if he could look at the gear and she was more than helpful. He told her that he had heard good things about the shop and she was delighted to hear about it.

He mentioned that he would need a 4GB memory card but she suggested the 8GB card because of the HD movie function and threw it in for free. In the end, she took €835. She also took the time to go through camera care with him and said to give her a call with any questions he may have.

While he was there another customer came in to collect his camera, which was in for minor repairs. When he was told there was no charge for the work done, he went off and came back with a box of ice creams for the staff and my son was a happy recipient of one of them too.:)

Excellent service and I think I went to the right place in the end and I'll be back for more camera toys in the future.

That was today? I was in Gunns earlier today looking to get an AF motor on a nikon lens repaired (very nice people - first time in the shop) and i was offered an icecream (4 left!) l - hadn't had a choc-ice in ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OK, far too much sense in this thread, time for a stupid question.
    I wanted to buy a panasonic in Gunns, do they do them?
    According to this they don't: http://www.johngunn.ie/our-brands/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just give them a ring and ask. That list is what they include in their sales, maybe its not a comprehensive listing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What they don't have, they can always order in.

Give them a call.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    OK, far too much sense in this thread, time for a stupid question.
    I wanted to buy a panasonic in Gunns, do they do them?
    According to this they don't: http://www.johngunn.ie/our-brands/
    Depends, is that a Panasonic with a choc ice or a Panasonic with a Golly Bar?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Went into Gunns today looking for some film and a battery for the Yashica. Upon opening the battery compartment lots of white powder came out as the battery had corroded. The young woman serving me (she was in her late 20s/early 30s) went down the back and got me a baby wipe. They didn't have the battery I needed but did sell me some B&W film for €2.75 a roll which was cheaper than I had expected. A pleasant first experience.

Walking back down towards Georges Street I popped into the camera exchange. A tall thin chap in his early 40s I'd say served me. I mentioned I was looking for a battery. He took one from the hook, opened the camera compartment, saw the corrosion and cleaned the area. He took a battery from the hook and put it in the camera. There was no joy with the light meter and as it wasn't working he decided not to charge me. I mentioned that he couldn't sell the battery as it had been opened but he said he wouldn't charge me as it didn't work. Feeling a little guilty I mentioned that I'd take some film from him. I was about to mention that I had no idea how to load it when he kindly offered to load the film for me. He duely did so and it wasn't as complicated as I had believed.

Gunns was grand and I will of course go into them again but I was really thrilled with the level of attention that the chap in The Camera Exchange gave me so I'll most certainly go back there again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did the tall chap have curly black hair?

did the tall chap have curly black hair?

Hmnn I don't recall exactly but it was longish, dark (not shoulder length or anything but not closely cut) and a little curly I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might have been mark, but i haven't seen him in there in a while so i don't know if he still works there.

Weell I can't say I'm afraid but as mentioned I'll certainly be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clen79

After doing a lot of research and shopping around I finally decided to dive into the world of the DSLR. A friend recommended Gunns saying that they were excellent and having spent almost 2 hours in the shop with the lovely, very knowledgeable and most helpful Fiona I would be inclined to agree with him. Being new to the world of good cameras having only owned a few compacts over the years it was great to be given such attention and to have all the options explained to me. I very happily left the shop with a handshake and a warm thanks for my business from both Fiona and her Dad. I purchased a Nikon D90 for less cash than anywhere else in Dublin and most places on the internet. I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the camera and I will definitely return to Gunns in the future. It's great to see a small family run business succeeding in the days of faceless entities like Amazon, PC World etc etc.

• Advertisement

One of my usual 'stupid' questions but there appears to be a Rip Off Forum, Ranting & Raving Forum, Consumer Issues Forum etc but I can't seem to find anywhere to post a general 'good service' comment. Any suggestions???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

One of my usual 'stupid' questions but there appears to be a Rip Off Forum, Ranting & Raving Forum, Consumer Issues Forum etc but I can't seem to find anywhere to post a general 'good service' comment. Any suggestions???

Just call it GUNNS !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

clen79 wrote: »
    It's great to see a small family run business succeeding in the days of faceless entities like Amazon, PC World etc etc.

Big time. I wanted to give them the business, but unfortunately they don't stock panasonic. I'd happily pay a few quid extra than an online store if the money was going to business like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I was in Bermingham's shop on Thursday last to look for a new lens. The staff were very helpful and courteous. Gave me lots of advice and I got a good deal on the lens and filter. Very happy. Not my first time to buy there and won't be the last.

Advertisement