Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stone Cross to Lug Relay Sat 28 Aug

• 06-07-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Stone Cross to Lug Relay, Irelands premier open mountain relay, is coming up soon. Three runners per team, prior recce's of your leg essential, a tough cookie of a race, over 53k of some of Wicklows finest scapes. €7 per head to enter, remember to duck your head at the finish in Fenton's;).

We'll try and get a couple of Boards teams out, all are welcome.

1. If you want to be considered for a leg, you must have recce'ed that leg recently. So the more legs you recce, the better chance of getting on a team.

2. Recent form.
    Fairest all round I think. Quickest way around a leg is not to get lost, and then its how fast you can run. Stick down your name below if you want to run on a Boards team (three to a team, no limit on number of teams). Edit when you've done a recent (2010) recce of a particular leg.

Boards Team
    donothoponpop
    jeffontour
    slogger jogger

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 3 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    100%
    donothoponpopPositiveNegativocnoc 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    0%
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

This could be my chance to exact revenge on the defeat and subsequent humiliation I suffered at the hands of boards ac during the WW relay. To be continued :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    This could be my chance to exact revenge on the defeat and subsequent humiliation I suffered at the hands of boards ac during the WW relay. To be continued :)

That's the spirit! There should be a good few club teams waiting to wipe the permagrin from team Boards since the WWR:D, so hopefully it'll be a very competitive running on the 30th anniversary of SXtoL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're joining the team? Great news!

Anyone got any plans for recce's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You're joining the team? Great news!

Anyone got any plans for recce's?

I'd be up for a recce.. starting with leg 1 I suppose. When is the question as race this weekend and plod the next. We can work it out

You do realise how little road there is on this? If runners can go astray on a waymarked trail they can definitely do a lot worst here.. Bring it on :)

• Advertisement

You do realise how little road there is on this?

Yep walked parts of this in the past and in hindsight I won't be subjecting my delicate legs to this sort of terrain. I'll just have to continue plotting for another year I guess.

4 stars (good)
    Yep walked parts of this in the past and in hindsight I won't be subjecting my delicate legs to this sort of terrain. I'll just have to continue plotting for another year I guess.

Sure the ground is so dry at the moment, it's practically road. If this dry weather keeps up, the route will be firm enough to apply for EU road signage grants...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I'd be up for a recce.. starting with leg 1 I suppose. When is the question as race this weekend and plod the next. We can work it out

I'm on for a recce. I should be off all next week so if there's anyone round during the days let me know. I may be up for one this Sunday either depending on how the body responds to CLEC on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

4 stars (good)
    Sure the ground is so dry at the moment, it's practically road. If this dry weather keeps up, the route will be firm enough

Foolish foolish person! Conavalla is never dry - ever
    Only the bravest, strongest, lightest runners dare to go straight.

I've seen negative imprints of the lower half of many a hill runner who gets tempted across by the look of flat, fast running . . . .
    This could be my chance to exact revenge on the defeat and subsequent humiliation I suffered at the hands of boards ac during the WW relay. To be continued

If you were beaten on a hilly road relay like the WW - the gap will be much larger if Boards unleash the likes of Enduro and Slogger Jogger on open mountain terrain. . . You have been warned :war face:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

this event sounds good. :) any other ladies doing it!??!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sounds like a good event but i'd prob get lost in them hills and you'd be sending out a team looking for me weeks later...

The 'track' across to Seefingan 2 weeks ago had bogholes that would swallow you up, despite the long fine weather spell. Whats more the most boggy bits look like solid grassy sections a lot of the time. If it rains between now and the race god help us all :D But bring it on all the same...

ocnoc wrote: »
    Foolish foolish person! Conavalla is never dry - ever
    Only the bravest, strongest, lightest runners dare to go straight.

I've seen negative imprints of the lower half of many a hill runner who gets tempted across by the look of flat, fast running . . . .

If you were beaten on a hilly road relay like the WW - the gap will be much larger if Boards unleash the likes of Enduro and Slogger Jogger on open mountain terrain. . . You have been warned :war face:

I wouldn't rule out Enduro running all 3 legs himself as a one man team. Has this ever being done on this relay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

4 stars (good)
    Has this ever being done on this relay

Yup! Some guy ran it last year. If memory serves me correctly he ran the last leg with Joe Lawlor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The 'track' across to Seefingan 2 weeks ago had bogholes that would swallow you up, despite the long fine weather spell. Whats more the most boggy bits look like solid grassy sections a lot of the time. If it rains between now and the race god help us all :D But bring it on all the same...

The col between Seefingan and Corrig/Seahan has a couple of springs that ensure it's always wet, rain or no rain. Bring yer inflatable arm bands...at least that will make it easy for the guys in the chopper to spot where you went down....

Yup! Some guy ran it last year. If memory serves me correctly he ran the last leg with Joe Lawlor

Yeah, buddie of mine Robbie and his mate Paul set off with the aim of going round together for the entire course. From what I remember Rob bailed after 2 legs but Paul slogged on with the help of Joe on the last Leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

yep that was me. . i ran the full thing, and joe helped me find my way on the 3rd leg. he made me suffer too but kept me going. hope to do it again if im allowed. it was a great day for it and one of the most enjoyable races iv done. only thing that has me in 2 minds is dingle ultra 2 weeks later. but i reckon stone cross to lug would be a much more enjoyable one if i did have to choose. and the soft ground means the legs arnt that sore after it.

pablo t wrote: »
    dingle ultra 2 weeks later.

Forget Dingle! Has Rob not mentioned a jaunt along the Wicklow Way to you? :D

he has indeed jeff. and thats something i would definately be on for. but im not sure how certain robbie is about it. he seems to be doing more of the short fast stuff these days. what date had you in mind for it?

what date had you in mind for it?

Sent you a PM there Paul. We'll try sort out some plan for it that works for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

I wouldn't rule out Enduro running all 3 legs himself as a one man team. Has this ever being done on this relay ;)

If I the date for this ever lines up in my calendar for me, that's exactly what I'd do! Well guessed :D

jeffontour wrote: »
    Sent you a PM there Paul. We'll try sort out some plan for it that works for all.

Lads, if you want any tips/advice feel free to ask. There is a very long write-up of my run here. Thanks to slogger for the photos from the day.

Enduro wrote: »
    Lads, if you want any tips/advice feel free to ask. There is a very long write-up of my run here. Thanks to slogger for the photos from the day.

Don't worry Enduro, there will be a picking of your brain when you least expect it!

hi enduro i have read that report twice since becoming interested in doing the wicklow way. and it has heightened my interest so i would love to also pick your brain on it. the same goes for thewicklow round as it happens. i will send you a pm abut it if thats ok.

just out of curiosity what event is clashing with stone cross to lug for you?

No problem pablo. If you're at one of the IMRA runs feel free to chat about it there too (presuming that I'm there too!).

Well, the date might move a bit, but its in or around the Gael Force West date, and I'm also doing the Terrex adventure race in the lake district, which is at the end of August. So any date in the ball park of that race rules it out for me... this year anyway!

i see in the forum on imra for this race it is being moved to 28th august. hopefully this will free up more people to participate in what is a great race. its made my mind up for me about dingle anyway.
    does anyone know if thats a 100% definate decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

really is it being moved from aug 21st. :( noooooooo! I'm away aug 28th...god damn it! :(

It's a relay so maybe I have two mountain goats locked in my wardrobe ready to be unleashed themselves. I see your war face and raise you a moon braveheart style.

Stone Cross to Lug Relay, Irelands premier open mountain relay, is coming up soon. Three runners per team, prior recce's of your leg essential, a tough cookie of a race, over 53k of some of Wicklows finest scapes. €7 per head to enter, remember to duck your head at the finish in Fenton's;).

1. If you want to be considered for a leg, you must have recce'ed that leg recently. So the more legs you recce, the better chance of getting on a team.

2. Recent form.
    Fairest all round I think. Quickest way around a leg is not to get lost, and then its how fast you can run. Stick down your name below if you want to run on a Boards team (three to a team, no limit on number of teams). Edit when you've done a recent (2010) recce of a particular leg.

Boards Team
    donothoponpop
    jeffontour
    slogger jogger

jeffontour - Leg 1 recce 13 Jul (minus descent off Kippure to road due to weather and doing it as an out & back)

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in a leg 2 recce Sunday? Weather looks like it's turning for the better, go on, you know you want to.

Anyone interested in a leg 2 recce Sunday? Weather looks like it's turning for the better, go on, you know you want to.

Might be up for it early doors. Whats the forecast?

4 stars (good)

I'd be up for leg 2 or 3, super early (5am or 6am). Best time of the day, ask TFB.

Weather, basically perfect for running :D

As for the super early 5 or 6 I could be convinced...but would be more inclined towards 7 or 8!

4 stars (good)
    Weather, basically perfect for running :D

As for the super early 5 or 6 I could be convinced...but would be more inclined towards 7 or 8!

Slogger will say 8 as he values his lie-ins:D, but I said 5am because I had a magical run a week ago on Utah Beach in Normandy at 5am, for 13 miles or so, and its the sort of run that stays with you forever. I can remember each and every super early run I've ever had, sets you up for the week.

But I'd do a 7am start if push came to shove:)

Slogger will say 8 as he values his lie-ins:D, but I said 5am because I had a magical run a week ago on Utah Beach in Normandy at 5am, for 13 miles or so, and its the sort of run that stays with you forever. I can remember each and every super early run I've ever had, sets you up for the week.

But I'd do a 7am start if push came to shove:)

Right so, 7 it is until someone pushes it to 8, slogger I'm hoping for great things from you!

I'm happy to do it one way but if people want to do out and back that's an option.

I'm off now to stock up on sleep!

• Advertisement

Lets do it. I'll pop you an email this morning to sort out my breakfast order d'pop.

4 stars (good)
    Change of plans:

Sorry Jeff, won't be able to do Sun after all, a family party means I have to stay put! Slogger and me are going to recce leg 3 from Wicklow Gap tomorrow from about 8:30am, if that suits you at all to join. If not, best of luck on Sunday.

Change of plans:

Sorry Jeff, won't be able to do Sun after all, a family party means I have to stay put! Slogger and me are going to recce leg 3 from Wicklow Gap tomorrow from about 8:30am, if that suits you at all to join. If not, best of luck on Sunday.

Phew, near miss on the early start!

No worries, can't make tomorrow, already have plans to go MTBing. Enjoy the run.

Any takers in leg 2/3 recce this weekend?

Saturday would have to be early for me, Sunday I can only do the afternoon and Monday I'm free as a bird.

Saturday would have to be early for me, Sunday I can only do the afternoon and Monday I'm free as a bird.

:( Galtees race rules this weekend. Won't be in a fit state after it for a recce I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Jeff are you not travelling to the galtees yourself? meself, robbie and john are planning to head up(depending on injuries in my case)

Jeff are you not travelling to the galtees yourself? meself, robbie and john are planning to head up(depending on injuries in my case)

Don't think I'll make it, have some stuff to do that morning, would like to think there's a 10% chance I'll get down though.

Might just head down anyhow to catch up and see how all are keeping though if ye're heading. Can defo be there for finish of race, it's being on time for start that's an issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Anybody keen for a recce of leg 1 this weekend, im free either day. At the moment it looks like I'll drive to the sally gap leave the car there and cycle to the start.

n-dawg wrote: »
    Anybody keen for a recce of leg 1 this weekend, im free either day. At the moment it looks like I'll drive to the sally gap leave the car there and cycle to the start.

Would be up for one Saturday morning, say 9? I know some of the lads wouldn't call 9am morning but I sure do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Would be up for one Saturday morning, say 9? I know some of the lads wouldn't call 9am morning but I sure do!

9am Saturday suits me perfectly... see you at the saly gap! Any other takers?

I'll PM you my phone number

n-dawg wrote: »
    I'll PM you my phone number

Sweet, PM sent in return.

I'm afraid I'm out. Dingle marathon on 4th Sep so with time closing in I won't get a chance to do reccies etc. Sorry guys.

4 stars (good)
    No problem SJ- anyone else up for this relay? Pre-reg is required, so we'll need to get teams entered very soon. Free 2011 Boards WWRelay team brownie points available to anyone who enters SXtoL relay...:D

2. Recent form.

Boards Team
    donothoponpop
    jeffontour
    slogger jogger

4 stars (good)
    Two SWM seek similar for no-strings-attached fun in the mountains. May suit bored road runners (M/F) who can talk dirty. You: open-minded, slim, sibling of brewery boss, own Inov8's. No time-wasters. Direction assured and expected. Apply below:p

Boards Team
    donothoponpop
    jeffontour

• Advertisement
Advertisement