Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stone Cross to Lug Relay Sat 28 Aug

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

no-strings-attached fun in the mountains.

I'd just like to clarify there is a possibility for a long term relationship with the right person.

Open mind essential for possible multi day orgies of outdoors activity extending, but not limited, to biking, running, walking, climbing, paddling. Must have own lycra, rubber and carbon equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

haha brilliant! ur vetting process for potential team mates is tough...u know what u want anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    mymojo wrote: »
    haha brilliant! ur vetting process for potential team mates is tough...u know what u want anyway!

We're only after one thing...:D

Love to "fetch a pail of water" with you mymojo, but are you tied up for this one?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

yep I will be sunning myself in sardinia while the relay is on unfortunately...has to be done!

mymojo wrote: »
    yep I will be sunning myself in sardinia while the relay is on unfortunately...has to be done!

Sure couldn't you get sunshine whilst negotiating the barbed wire on a direct approach to the road coming off Kippure? You won't get barbed wire and bog in Sardinia! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

jeff do you know which leg you are running yet or does it depend on whether ye get a positive reply to ye're singles advert. ye sound like a real catch!

4 stars (good)
    We have a third member, (a guest), so we can fire ahead and enter. I'll PM you Jeff:)

4 stars (good)
    Right, finally got my recce in! Ran the first half, to just beyond Camenabologue, and I did the rest on this summer's Circuit of Avonbeg, so should be good to go. Jeff has done his recce, and our "top secret" leg 2 runner knows these hills so well, when a map gets lost it calls him for directions:D

Very sloppy in places out there, and thats probably as dry as it gets! What's the story with Conavalla, there's no trig point, just a smallish pile of stones on its (not highest point of the) plateau. Guess we have to run around them.

I spent a whole minute pulling my leg from a bog that had sucked it in to the thigh. Climbed up and down more peat stacks than I cared to. Then tumbled down the fern to table track, and walked up a marshy stream to Table mountain, where the track (and running) can finally begin! Roll on Sat week!

4 stars (good)
    Team lists are up on the imra forum. Can't wait for this to start now, Boards are team "Lugapolooza". Cnoc and Ajax look like the form teams, can someone organize an Orienteering event with a €1,000,000 jackpot for this Saturday?. We're hoping for clear skies legs one and three, and a thick foggy squall to descend for leg 2, to play to our strengths. Stranger things have happened...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

4 stars (good)
    donothoponpop, to not get stuck in bog you have to use a style of running called the fairy dance...

Its basically waving your arms around like an idiot trying to disperse your weight as evenly as possible so you don't sink. Looks crazy, but is highly effective

ocnoc wrote: »
    Its basically waving your arms around like an idiot

Sweet, sounds like what I normally do on a dancefloor.

Seriously looking forward to this now. I'll be chasing the Cork lads round on the day as well so looking forward to watching the teams progress through the race. As dpop says, bring on the good vis for our legs :D

4 stars (good)
    donothoponpop, to not get stuck in bog you have to use a style of running called the fairy dance...

Its basically waving your arms around like an idiot trying to disperse your weight as evenly as possible so you don't sink. Looks crazy, but is highly effective

Very kind of you to inform me, I'll endevour to be a whirling dirvish throughout my leg. Hope Mr. Shields is around to capture it...

A real orienteer's challenge would go straight line Hut-Conevalla-Camen...;)

4 stars (good)
    A real orienteer's challenge would go straight line Hut-Conevalla-Camen...;)

I am one.

40437_427883950689_682335689_4763281_577692_n.jpg

The real question is, Are you?

4 stars (good)
    I am one.

40437_427883950689_682335689_4763281_577692_n.jpg

The real question is, Are you?

Sir, I salute you!

I recce'd via those two spot heights just above your line... maybe on the day:D

4 stars (good)
    The spot hights are sloppy. No point fecking about. HTFU and go for it. I took 10mins off running easier going straighter.

Don't kneel before the Mountain, the Mountain kneels before you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

hey lads has anyone heard an accurate weather report yet for the area on saturday. . . im sayin my prayers for the mist to stay away or it will be a very very long day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Thats some secret weapon the boards team has got!

4 stars (good)
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Wicklow/ is usually very accurate- partly cloudy, light breeze, chance of rain, mild- tallies with met eireann, but it could go any way really.
    n-dawg wrote: »

Yeah, great to see him back in the mountains!

n-dawg wrote: »

We've gone nuclear! Hopefully I don't ruin it all with a shocking leg 1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

4 stars (good)
    jeffontour wrote: »
    We've gone nuclear! Hopefully I don't ruin it all with a shocking leg 1 :D

Don't be coming in too early putting me all under pressure :D
    Donothop said nothing about pressure, I just answered the lonely hearts ad for long walks in the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Lug was resplendent under sunshine this morning from my vantage point on the Aughrim side. Hope you get something similar tomorrow.

4 stars (good)
    Don't know how accurate this site is, but it gives weather for the mountains, and tomorrow looks pretty clear. Bring it on!

4 stars (good)
    i freggin love open mountain races!!!!!

i freggin love open mountain races!!!!!

To ward off the excitement Colm sure you might as well run legs 1 and 2 as well :D

4 stars (good)
    I'm under strict orders from everyone to not go training today.

Been planning some sick orienteering sessions - for those that like Stone X to Lug, check out Orienteering.ie

Like Hill running, but with added Brain Burn! :D

To ward off the excitement Colm sure you might as well run legs 1 and 2 as well :D

He can't do that, I don't want to be beaten by 2 from the same team!

4 stars (good)
    Studying a map now, and trying to work out if Ocnoc's "straight line" is really a boggy trap...

4 stars (good)
    OS isn't won't the paper its printed on.

Get out the Harveys and EastWest maps, compare and contrast the two of them.
    Go slightly right of straight line. Don't be afraid of climbing.

From Conavalla, for CofA, Peter went right around and I went straight, he took 9 seconds off of me by going around. The choice is yours. Climb more, or run further.

On the track up to lug, stick on the track. I attempted to do a spot of contouring and got messed up by grotty ground.

They are all the main route choices, the choice, as they say, is yours.
    I wouldn't lead someone astray in the mountains. If it was a secret route choice that I spent years working on and defining, then I'd keep my mouth shut. This is just information from maps and that is available online.

4 stars (good)
    You could always just do a rec** but I can't condone doing such a disgusting act.

I apologise to all members of Boards.ie for using such filthy language in this post, I have done my best to not spell it out.

4 stars (good)
    OS isn't won't the paper its printed on.

Get out the Harveys and EastWest maps, compare and contrast the two of them.
    Go slightly right of straight line. Don't be afraid of climbing.

From Conavalla, for CofA, Peter went right around and I went straight, he took 9 seconds off of me by going around. The choice is yours. Climb more, or run further.

On the track up to lug, stick on the track. I attempted to do a spot of contouring and got messed up by grotty ground.

They are all the main route choices, the choice, as they say, is yours.
    I wouldn't lead someone astray in the mountains. If it was a secret route choice that I spent years working on and defining, then I'd keep my mouth shut. This is just information from maps and that is available online.

Don't worry, my post was strictly tongue in cheek! Bought my first Harvey's map two years back to plan our (aborted) team effort for this race, couldn't believe how much extra info there is on it. I'm far from any orienteering standard yet, so needed to recce this. Tried a few variations from Conavalla to Camen, it really is a toss up between straight or round. There's even a gap through the forest off Camen, but I'll leave that until I'm delirious in next years CofA. I have a love/hate relationship with the sloppy terrain, so I'm looking forward to hitting the track from Camen- but having said that, a lot of the fun part of these races is spent gazing at maps and wondering...

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Report from last years race here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck guys. Stay off the moors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Don't be coming in too early putting me all under pressure :D
    Donothop said nothing about pressure, I just answered the lonely hearts ad for long walks in the hills.

Good luck lads. Looking forward to hearing how you get on!

Jeff ran 93 mins for leg 1 for a joint 2nd to a Cnoc 1st.

Lug was under cloud some of this morning. Navigation could be all the more vital.

Jeff ran 93 mins for leg 1 for a joint 2nd to a Cnoc 1st.

Lug was under cloud some of this morning. Navigation could be all the more vital.

No change in positions, Paul is into leg 3 in 2nd.

View towards Lug from Croaghanmoira this morning 11ish. Hope it cleared away later.

9086F90588514BAF9E888FA0E07D9C46-0000332535-0001878250-00800L-80DE93C4C5EF46838F90D24BAE8D3DC5.jpg

4 stars (good)
    It didn't!

I'll upload my route once i get a chance

4 stars (good)
    It didn't X2!

Some of us dealt with the zero visibility on Lug better than others...

Boards Team 5th overall:

Jeffontour ran a blinder, 93 minutes, and second place, in very misty conditions. This race was a great reward for his good training this season, a fantastic run, well done!

PositiveNegative rubbed WD40 on his creaking joints, and had a superb Leg 2, low cloud meaning map & compass were used as they should be. He put quite a few minutes into consolidating second place, great to see him back doing what he does best (and I don't mean swallyin' pints of Smithicks;))

Yours truly had a solid race to the top of Lug, still in second with only a downhill to go; unfortunately I went wrong in the cloud, and ended up adding 5 extra miles on my descent. Sorry to have done this after the guys great runs, and cost them the glory. I had my Harveys, and ran outta map, thats my sad excuse:o Thanks to both of them for being so good about it!

Congrats to CNOC who came, saw, and conquered. Fantastic time, in tough conditions, and I'm sure the two lads won't mind me singling out Ocnocs great time for leg 3, 1:46, which is at least on par with the old (slightly shorter distance) record. Phenomenal time, suitable to a great race. Everyone comes out of this race a stronger runner, hope it continues for next year.

4 stars (good)
    I crossed the gate in 141mins, the record is 140mins.
    Before the race, breaking the record was kinda a slight fantasy. Now we truly believe we, as a team, can SMASH it (by seconds ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

4 stars (good)
    I like a bit of mist. But with Kippure lost in darkness, a gale blowing across Sally Gap and Carrigvore not looking any better I was wondering about the wisdom of picking (being picked?) this as my outing for 2010.
    Jeffontour appeared out of the darkness steaming in to change over in 2nd place with AJAX on his shoulder. The look on his face would brook no gentle run in the hills from me. All I wanted was to plug away in the mist counting off the hills, maybe pass a runner or two and feel good about being on a team, but oh no Jeffontour had to ruin that by racing in to the changeover in 2nd. Good man Jeff.
    Deep breath hi ho, hi ho. Halfway up Carrigvore AJAX and my paths converged with him passing me shortly after. He sounded like he was working hard but shortly after I nipped back in front to top out just ahead. Then I was bold, rather bold in fact, deliberately leading off in a 'sub-optimal' direction before cutting back on line. I'm sorry (I suppose). Gravale next hitting the gully/track off its top nicely. Brain and body were warmed up nicely at this stage. Briefly under the mist at the base of Duff Hill, managed to find the path up which is important given how high the heather is here. Managed then to lose the path having to walk uphill for a bit stuffing jelly's into my face. Refound the track and picked up the pace again with the top coming up quicker than expected. Across to East Top (hit at just over the hour mark) and Mullaghcleevaun was lovely, gentle ups and downs.
    Before the race I'd been a bit worried about cramps on these long downhills but so far so good, even if my calf muscles were beginning to feel the strain. Visibility was improving at this stage and I was doing a bit of tracking. Early in the run I thought I'd spotted a pair of VJ footprints, now I was seeing Invo8's. Was I in second or third? but more pressing what was that lake I was running towards? My plan to drop SSE off Mullaghcleevaun to gain the grassy fast ground above Lugadroochan rocks was executed with a bit too much east and not enough south in it. Merde. Quick correction but a minute or two lost, in compensation I now had the luxury of bypassing the worst of the Barnacullian slop.
    Coming towards Stone Top the inevitable happened, a calf cramped. This set off a chain reaction as firstly I wet myself (nozzle fell off my camelpack which then proceeded to empty itself down my shorts), cramped the other calf, then cursed and swore like a leg 3 CNOC runner. Walking hurt, running hurt slightly less. Slowly the cramps worked out enough for me to cross over Tonelagee on the 2 hour mark optimistic that I'd be able to get down without further cramping. Cue another cramp and more language. Brief stop to stretch before hoprunning down to the change over to release the pent up ball of nervous energy that was Donothoponpop. And the comfort of reflecting in a run enjoyed.
    That good people was how I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Great report! Really enjoyed it! I'd love to see a consolidated report from Heff and Donothoponpop. Well done Jeff on coming second. That's savage. Hard luck on getting lost DoNotHop. Heart breaking. Can't believe you only lost three places considering you added so much mileage to your race.

4 stars (good)
    Leg 3 report, taken from my log.

Runners waiting at the start of leg 3 were kept entertained by a very determined ocnoc, who let out a great shout when he spied his runner sillouetted over Tonlagee, and looked about to explode as he urged him faster down the slope, before setting off on his much-anticipated fast leg. A small wait later, another lone runner could be seen descending from the top. I thought I recognized the low-center-of-gravity-gait of PN, and so it was, after a great run that called on all of his athletic and nav skills. He seemed a bit dazed at the end, shouting "where are we?" as he slapped me on my way. "Wicklow Gap" said I in reply, and it wasn't until I ran up towards Turlough Hill, (taking the short cuts I had earlier scouted with Izzy), that it dawned on me he meant "what position are we in?":D. Anyway, good progress up Turlough Hill.

The cross from the Hut to Conavalla is a disgusting mud slide, thankfully made optimally direct through prior recce's. Peat stacks were climbed and negotiated, as I had a direct line to Conavalla in my sights. The "peat-fairy" dance is perhaps a more graceful sight by a lighter runner, so my pirouetting and dainty foxtrot was often slowed by ploughing heavily into bog. Nothing too bad though, and soon the high point was gained.

Crossing from Conavalla to Camenabologue, I tried the higher route, hoping for more runnable ground. Maybe this would be best in reverse (as in my recce), but in retrospect a staighter line would be better. In any case, its much of a muchness: straight and slow, or long and fast? The aspect was clear enough, but the odd rainshower was a portent of things to come.

I felt good hitting Table track, and the climb to Camen was soon over. The legs opened up a bit on a fast descent, but I looked up to see Lug ominously covered in dark cloud. While the lower visibility was still good, I afforded the opportunity to glance back, and could see no-one between me and Camen- a good climb and fat descent, and I could bring 'er home. Climbing up towards Lug was an ascent into cloud, and before long the visibility was way down. I had taken a bearing before the cloud, and followed my compass towards the top. Plod, plod, plod, knowing that its easier to navigate upwards in fog- all routes lead to the top. Passed a few groups of walkers, and heard them say "we must be on the right track, look at him" (suckers!:p). The climb was slow and steady, nothing too steep. My legs were hurting a bit, but soon the dark sillouette of the trig point emerged from the mist. Ran from it at the agreed angle, checked I was heading west, and took off downhill. This should really have been an exercise in attrition, just maintaining our hard-won position, but unfortunately...

I came across a track, and followed it. Although it seemed unfamiliar, I was relying on my (Harvey's) map, which showed one track, so down I went. Massive elementary mistake- if you are running downhill fast, and something doesn't feel right, stop and check, before going further. In the end, I crossed over SlieveMaan, and ended up way off course, with little visibility to get bearings from. I zigzaged for a while, looking for familiar points on the map, but could only really guesstimate my position. By the time I came to a recognisable point (river), I knew I had blown it, and turned cow's milk sour for many a mile, with my loud curses. This was the miserable part of a nav race, regaining lost height in the lashing rain, through long clumps of grass. After I crossed a ridge, fencelines brought me back to lower ground, and the West bearing that my compass was screaming at me, finally found road. I knew where I was, three or four miles off course. A painful drudge back to Fentons, where I came in fifth place, (missed fourth by a minute!) and a dejected apology to my two teammates (who were very graceful about my error). Well done to the two of them, two sterling performances, I only wish I could have paid dividends. Wasn't the only runner to go amiss from Lug today, but this was something I should have prepared for more. The Harveys map cuts out after the Lug summit: had I brought another larger map as well, I might have been able to navigate better, sooner. Anyway, great race, great chat after in good company, and the long run done for the weekend.

Very well organized, thanks to the RD and marshalls. Thanks also to driver and motivator extrodinaire Izzy:)

4 stars (good)
    I ran a controlled race. Paced myself to prefection and had perfect route choices. Very happy.

I'll scan in and upload the EastWest map later once I sort it out.

http://www.cnocmaps.totalh.com/show_map.php?user=c.hill&map=41

(image had troubling uploading)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great reports lads.

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great reports lads.

It's really such a great race, a real shame it's not better supported. This is the third year I've tried to get together a team, but the first time we actually had three runners for the start line. People are busy training for AR's and marathons come this time of year, it's a pity that this relay seems to get "fixtured out" of peoples plans. Not sure if it could be moved to earlier in the season (or if indeed it should).

I'd hope we could get a couple more teams from Boards next year. When you think that this great race costs a mere €7 to enter, its got to be one of the best value days out on the running calendar. Brilliant buzz back at the pub afterwards, everyone had a story to tell about their leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think one thing that may be a hesitant factor is the navigational part, some people can't read a road map, never mind use one to navigate mountains :p

It does sounds good fun though, maybe next time some of us may brush up on our navigational skills in time for it.

Up at the crack of dawn, for me anyhow. It was bowls of porridge all round for myself and the 3 hardy Cork lads who had stayed the night with me in advance of their assault on the entire race route. Piled into the cars and off to the gap to pick up Stephen & Niall, dropped my car there and we were start line bound. There was a mix of nervous tension, excitement and eau de six men in a van as we drove.

Once at the start all was good, kit check, stand around a bit, warmup, off! From the off Niall was away off the front and disappeared into the forestry ahead of the rest of us. I made a bit of a bags of hitting Seahan, adding a couple of hundred metres onto the route I’d hoped to take and dropping from 2nd to 4th but within sight of the lads ahead, which was not far given the soupy vis conditions.

Run across to Corrig was straightforward. Then the trek to Seefingan. It was on the climb up that myself and Mike opened a gap on 4th and we hit the summit within seconds of each other. Off we went across the slop, did the fairy dance through some peat, all the while within sight of each other. Dropped too far right down the saddle and had to cross a deep gulley to get back on line, neither of us were quite sure how we allowed ourselves the mistake but I suppose that’s what happens under race conditions. Mike found us a nice line to the summit and I was happy to follow!

Off Kippure was where I knew I could lose time. I thought I was in a battle for 3rd so wanted not to screw it up! My pace through heather is not great and Mike was getting ahead of me at times but he was following a line along the river and aiming for the fence which was my intention also so I just managed to keep him in sight. On crossing the river it feels like an age to hit the road. Once we hit the road I tapped Mike on the shoulder and overtook him, it was part thanks for the help and pushing me round and part a cheeky challenge to have him race me hard up the road as I was shattered but couldn’t let him see! I never got more than 100m or so ahead of him so he probably pushed me to run 30 seconds quicker than had he not been there.
    Into the finish, high fived Paul and immediately got jelly legs. Mike was in within seconds. Took a minute to recover then looked for confirmation that I’d secured 3rd, no, you’ve got 2nd! Happy days, delighted with the days work and how I raced. Followed the race onwards for the rest of the day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done to the rest of the boards team, was most jealous of the Smithwicks being enjoyed by them in Fentons but I’d a busy evening ahead so drink wasn’t an option, next year when we go back and secure a podium I’ll join ye!

The whippersnappers on the winning team did a great job, well done and I can only strive to achieve your level of performance some time. To those who are unsure about running this race I’d say this. Get out and put the time in doing recces of the course, turn up on the day and enjoy!

4 stars (good)
    The relay is really quite simple..

Steps outlined below

1. look up
    2. see that mountain, run to the top of that, once you get there
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you reach your team mate

When the mist is down, the steps change slightly.

Steps

1. Look up
    2. Take baring
    3. Run up mountain checking compass
    4. reach summit
    5. Take baring
    6. Run down mountain
    7. Run through bog
    8. repeat steps 1 to 7 until you reach your team mate

4 stars (good)
    My race report. I'll probably reread it and repost it on IMRA later in the week.
    If anyone has any good photos to litter it with, I'd be greatful.

http://colmocnoic.blogspot.com/2010/08/7-15-52.html

Advertisement