Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is that it?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Is that is? Summer over, should I pack the shorts away and get the brolly out? Feel sorry for the primary school kids by the time they finish summer seems to be over. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Well its pretty unlikely that we wont at least see smoe more fine weather over the next 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's still fine in my book!

A little mixed but still way better than the last three years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Joe Public wrote: »

Would have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Yeah i suppose ye right should be counting my blessings we not being washed out of it again, just got spoiled during the hot days. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

agreed but im afraid to speak too soon looks wet friday and midweek next week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Yeah this time the last few years you were able to swim across the fields or even down some motorways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

alanajane wrote: »
    Is that is? Summer over, should I pack the shorts away and get the brolly out? Feel sorry for the primary school kids by the time they finish summer seems to be over. :o

YEh isn't it crap the minute i get off it goes from 25c to 13c and rain.:(

Joe Public wrote: »

You think 13c and rain is fine!:eek: Depressing and i'm sick of getting migranes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I ask, did it ever begin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im fed up the current weather already, the last week has felt cool, cloudy, slighty wet and very windy. Despite not alot of rain it feels and looks very like autumn, the garden is covered in leaves and jumpers and jackets are back on.
    So i guess there's nothing on the long range forecast maps pointing towards warm, settled and sunny weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Gonzo wrote: »
    im fed up the current weather already, the last week has felt cool, cloudy, slighty wet and very windy. Despite not alot of rain it feels and looks very like autumn, the garden is covered in leaves and jumpers and jackets are back on.
    So i guess there's nothing on the long range forecast maps pointing towards warm, settled and sunny weather?

Im going to light a fire, light some candles, and put on some mulled wine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is that it?

Woohoo, rain is forecast :)

The drought has gone on long enough, only 60% of normal rainfall around here.

Water is life, let it rain.

Enough of people wanting skin cancer, rates have gone way on up and still some don't take precautions.
    Rain saves lives, lots of sun for prunes and cancer.

Min wrote: »
    Is that it?

Woohoo, rain is forecast :)

The drought has gone on long enough, only 60% of normal rainfall around here.

Water is life, let it rain.

Enough of people wanting skin cancer, rates have gone way on up and still some don't take precautions.
    Rain saves lives, lots of sun for prunes and cancer.

Tell that to all those Chinese who died in the recent floods there!!

Tell that to all those Chinese who died in the recent floods there!!

:eek:

So they took our rain?

Water is life, without it there is none, if people die in floods it doesn't negate the life giving properties of water.
    My fields would appreciate some of the life giving properties of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Min wrote: »
    :eek:

So they took our rain?

Water is life, without it there is none, if people die in floods it doesn't negate the life giving properties of water.
    My fields would appreciate some of the life giving properties of water.
    dats a lovely attitude to peoples lives,if u get floods(&nt hoping u do but)will u b complaining dat your cattle or harvest wont survive :confused:

delw wrote: »
    dats a lovely attitude to peoples lives,if u get floods(&nt hoping u do but)will u b complaining dat your cattle or harvest wont survive :confused:

No, the point is there would be no cattle or harvest or people without the rain, without the water.

Some make out it is terrible if we get some rain.

Unfortunetly, torrential rains can cause death and destruction. But let's not forget that the lack of rain, intense heat (from the sun ;)) etc can cause as much misery and grief. Famine, heat relatetd deaths (France, Summer 2003, 15,000 related deaths one example).

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

It will be interesting to see how the Summer will pan out now that the atlantic has broken through. Its looking a bit more unsettled for the month ahead and the BBC monthly forecast seems to agree with that. Unless anyone has anything promising to point out from the long range models!

Not to divert the thread to Ken Rings predictions but he had predicted that the really nice spell of weather through late May to start of July would break down last week and it is proving correct (out by a day or two maybe but it is proving to be right so far). He had also predicted the start of that spell to be the 23rd May which is not far off when it did start on the 19th/20th May. It will be interesting to see if we get his predicted nice spell of weather around 15th-22nd August.

Anyway, here is hoping that its not the end of the summer for us and it will pick up again sooner than mid/late August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It will be interesting to see how the Summer will pan out now that the atlantic has broken through. Its looking a bit more unsettled for the month ahead and the BBC monthly forecast seems to agree with that. Unless anyone has anything promising to point out from the long range models!

Not to divert the thread to Ken Rings predictions but he had predicted that the really nice spell of weather through late May to start of July would break down last week and it is proving correct (out by a day or two maybe but it is proving to be right so far). He had also predicted the start of that spell to be the 23rd May which is not far off when it did start on the 19th/20th May. It will be interesting to see if we get his predicted nice spell of weather around 15th-22nd August.

Anyway, here is hoping that its not the end of the summer for us and it will pick up again sooner than mid/late August!
    Not to go into nitpicking mode, but he actually said it would break down after the 9th (tomorrow), which is around 10 days later than it did.

delw wrote: »

The problem nowadays is that humans are so ignorant when it comes to disasters like flooding, landslides, etc. If we weren't so quick to build settlements in flood plains, then a lot of lives could be saved.

If they hadn't built a city like New Orleans in a hurricane-prone coastal area that is sinking below sea level every year, and then hadn't failed to heed the warnings from the 60s and 70s that the levees were only Cat 3 proof, then we wouldn't have had the disaster we had in 2005.

And so, and so on......

Weather is what it is. It rains sometimes, other times it doesn't. When it rains, we want it to stop. When it's dry, we want it to rain. Then when it does rain, people want it to stop again after a few days.

What's it to be, people? Accept it, adapt, do whatever, but for goodness sake stop moaning about one thing this week, and the complete opposite next week!

Rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Su Campu wrote: »
    Not to go into nitpicking mode, but he actually said it would break down after the 9th (tomorrow), which is around 10 days later than it did.

I just listened to the 13th April podcast from the last word (posted elsewhere in this forum!) where he stated 2 weeks from the 20th May which brings it up to 4th July. He also mentioned 4th of July as the end of good weather for the Northeast.

From what I heard on that podcast everything was about 2/3 days ahead of his predictions/forecast.

Maybe you got it from another of his sources that I am not aware of?

Anyway I hope its wrong and that July turns out OK...seems a bit mixed so far but nowhere near as bad as the last 3 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

met eireann's forecast for next week is very average, cool in places, mixture of sunshine and heavy showers and temps of 15-18C. Unfortunately so far it's only Ireland and Scotland where the Atlantic has broken through, the majority of england is staying in 23C+ with sunny weather and approaching 30C in London.

I just listened to the 13th April podcast from the last word (posted elsewhere in this forum!) where he stated 2 weeks from the 20th May which brings it up to 4th July. He also mentioned 4th of July as the end of good weather for the Northeast.

From what I heard on that podcast everything was about 2/3 days ahead of his predictions/forecast.

Maybe you got it from another of his sources that I am not aware of?

Anyway I hope its wrong and that July turns out OK...seems a bit mixed so far but nowhere near as bad as the last 3 years.

See my post of 18:52 on 28/06/10 in the infamous "Ken Ring Predictions" thread where I quoted a previous post of his that has since been deleted, where he said holiday period ending July 9th. I can't link to it here as I'm using my phone.

Gonzo wrote: »
    met eireann's forecast for next week is very average, cool in places, mixture of sunshine and heavy showers and temps of 15-18C. Unfortunately so far it's only Ireland and Scotland where the Atlantic has broken through, the majority of england is staying in 23C+ with sunny weather and approaching 30C in London.

Isn't that just typical that the heat is reserved for them.:rolleyes:

Ken's rainfall prediction for July (taken from his July forecast for Ireland)

Ken Ring wrote:
    "by rainfall quantity, variable differences are not expected to exceed 20-30mm in total for the month in these wetter or drier pockets. Taking the country as a whole however, using the towns we monitor, Ireland can expect around 10% more rainfall than usual for July, which is fairly close to average"

I am doing a study of Ken's forecasts over the next few months just to see if he is on to something. Will do a full report around October or thereabouts.

good lord i causing terrible ructions here!! i was just hoping it would be good this weekend. just recently got back on bike as pillion with the hubby after 22 years, had planned trip from meath to dingle this weekend my first long trip, looks like it not going to happen. :o

good lord i causing terrible ructions here!! i was just hoping it would be good this weekend. just recently got back on bike as pillion with the hubby after 22 years, had planned trip from meath to dingle this weekend my first long trip, looks like it not going to happen. :o

Ah don't worry, the weather will change in this topic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crapola :( I know we "need" the rain but I don't want the rain or the falling temps. Looks like we are stuck in a never-ending wave depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

mike65 wrote: »
    Crapola :( I know we "need" the rain but I don't want the rain or the falling temps. Looks like we are stuck in a never-ending wave depression.
    i know and its sent me into depression:eek:

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    i know and its sent me into depression:eek:

Same here i get bloody migranes everyday everytime i look out at it. You lot are nuts if you want more of that.:( They are being shelfish they need to think about people off on there holidays for summer as we can't do anything because of it and i've been stuck in this house for 10 days constant without going out anywhere, its so boring i want to go somewhere!! (my thick dad canny be bothered.:rolleyes:)

Advertisement